Flaming Lips and Beck > What synth for their strings on new records?

ExplodingBoy

• Members

On the Lips "Yoshimi" and Beck's "Sea Change", there are alot of orchestral sounding parts and I cannot tell if they're real strings or just synths. Anyone have any ideas what synths or software they're using?

Isn't there some super kick ass high quality software that is like a near perfect sounding orchestra? I'm guessing it's a ton of high quality samples, but how do they get the playing to sound soo realistic etc?

• Members

I thought those were synth strings on becks sea change...I thought danial lanious (?) produced it and figured he had worked magic that way...but I dont know...I just the production of the album and handling of the strings is top notch...overall an absolute fantastic album...A+

• Members

It was actually Nigel Goodrich who produced Sea Change (of Radiohead fame for producing OK Computer, Kid A and everything after)

I thought I remembered reading that he used some type of software for the strings? Not sure though. Sound real as hell whatever it is.

• Members

\On the Lips "Yoshimi" and Beck's "Sea Change", there are alot of orchestral sounding parts and I cannot tell if they're real strings or just synths. Anyone have any ideas what synths or software they're using?\

I know that the Lips used romplers for their orchestration partson the Soft Bulletin. Since both Yoshimi and the Soft Bulletin were recorded in the same studio in upstate New York, im guessing alot of the same instruments were used.

\

Isn't there some super kick ass high quality software that is like a near perfect sounding orchestra? I'm guessing it's a ton of high quality samples, but how do they get the playing to sound soo realistic etc?\

Alot of it is in the playing, and using high quality external reverb. In most of todays romplers, if you were to find an orchestral patch, turn off all the on board effects and even use something like Reaktors Spaceman reverb you wold probably notice a quality improvement. I think the Lips alsu used tubes and such to give warmth to the sound. Also, having an understanding of how an orchestra sounds requires you to play the keyboard in a different way. USing volume knobs, and even some alternative knobs on a roland rompler or triton would give you similar effects.

On your triton, find the combi "wide open spaces" and give it a whirl. Use the bottom range of the keyboard while playing the upper range and you wil lfind you get a more full, real orchestra string sound. If playing a a minor chord, use one finger in the lower range to play the root note of that. IT will sound more like a full string orchestra.

Nigel Goodrich is the man behind the Beck strings, and the Radiohead strings in alot of cases. That is his specialty.

Sea Change and Yoshimi are both world calss records. Checm em out on headphones.

• Members

Studio lips recorded the Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi in:'

The studio contains an extensive array of gear, including not only virtually every type of multitrack recorder but an eclectic selection of effects and sound-processing equipment new and old, high-end and budget: "I'll find a certain processor that's in favour with me for this month, or that period of time, or this record or that record, and then it'll be like 'Oh, I'm sick of that one.' But even with that ridiculous array of gear that's up there, in any given two- or three-month period, it's all gotten used for something. Everything makes an appearance. So I don't feel too bad about all the craziness that's up there. It all finds its way into the mix. There's a bunch of gear up there that only does one thing, but does it well, and if you don't want that, don't even bother trying it out, because it doesn't do anything else. There's so much of it because a lot of it is one-trick pony gear.

"If you knew the order of when things got mixed, you could watch what gear came in to the studio as it came in. Like for the Flaming Lips song 'The Gash' I'd just gotten the phaser: a friend of mine dropped that thing off and left it here and I was like 'This phaser's great, let's put it on the drums.' It's this old Roland phaser, and that's just another great one-trick pony. It's just got mono in, mono out, and that's all it does, that big sweeping phaser sound, but it sure does it good. So I can sit there and listen to the albums, and for every sound I can sit there and go 'CD number four, '35000 Feet Of Despair', the vocal sound is off the Lexicon MPX1'

• Members

Thanks Oardrum, I will.

By the way, have you heard " If I go Mad/ Funeral in my head" by the Lips? It's a B-side that got excluded from Yoshimi. It's absolutely sick and uses great orchestration. It's completely epic.

• Members

Yep!

Again they took off on a new sound. They will be releasing an album in 2005 with a working title of " At War With the Mystics" .

Im sure if it's anything like Soft Bulletin, Clouds Taste Mettallic , Zaireeka, Transmissions or Yoshimi it will kick major ass :)

I love listening to Lips records on headphones.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-09/27.shtml

Ryan Schreiber reports:

There's been little time this year for anything but the studio for psych-pop magnates The Flaming Lips: When last we checked in with them in early July, the trio had just wrapped a second recording session for the highly anticipated follow-up to 2002's Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, having found their schedules totally blank in the wake of Lollapalooza's cancellation. Indeed, the album sessions, originally planned for September, were bumped forward-- and the band has been at work ever since.

So how's it coming along, then? Swimmingly, it seems. According to a report in this month's Blender, much of the record has already been laid down at Dave Fridmann's Tarbox studios, just across the Canadian border in isolated Cassadaga, NY. It also has a working title-- At War with the Mystics-- and is tentatively slated for a mid-2005 release. And the direction? Well, anyone displeased with the overtly electronic elements present on Yoshimi should be thrilled: Charismatic Lips frontman Wayne Coyne says the songs they've worked on so far have "a more organic feel."

"We've moved away from robot sounds to sounds that are made by robots that come off organic," said Coyne to the Maxim music offshoot. "It's getting into a space-age jazz element." Of course, he also called it "a sort of progressive Dixieland" record that is "hopefully not too far out of the realm of what's listenable"-- before thankfully assuring reporters that this new sound would not come at the expense of their usual "element of psychiatric injury." Oh. Good.

Two of the new songs confirmed as contenders for inclusion on the finished product include "Space Bible" and "Mr. Ambulance Driver". Of the latter, Coyne reveals, "It's about a guy and a gal, and the gal is dying after a car accident and it's the moment they share as the ambulance approaches." While the band is said to have made substantial progress on the album, they're reportedly not quite finished yet: They're expected to return to Fridmann's place soon to wrap up production. In the meantime, fans going out of their minds for new Lips material can check out their collaboration with Sparklehorse on Gammon Records' excellent new Daniel Johnston compilation/tribute, Discovered, Covered.

In the live arena, The Flaming Lips just brought the house down with an appearance at the Austin City Limits music festival on Thursday, but haven't got anything else scheduled between now and winter. Come November 6th (and/or 7th), however, they'll take the stage at the Modest Mouse-curated All Tomorrow's Parties festival in Long Beach, California, alongside such indie rock luminaries as Lou Reed, The Shins, The Walkmen, Sufjan Stevens, Built to Spill, and of course, Modest Mouse themselves.

• Members

"The Flaming Lips

RUG Catches Up with the Most Inventive Band in Pop Music

by Erik Hanson

When the Flaming Lips seize the stage, their show is unlike any other in the world. From the life-sized costumed circus animals to confetti guns, hand-held light cannons, brightly colored instruments and surreal video projection, everything about a Flaming Lips show serves to create a mood that is one-part organized musical mayhem, one-part performance art.

As creators of some of the most visionary, experimental and memorable pop music of the past decade, the Lips have consistently wooed critics and college radio fans for years. How experimental are they? Try low-budget movies about Christmas on Mars, four-CD sets designed to be played simultaneously on four different CD players, and a concept album in which a heroic Japanese girl battles evil pink robots. It

Archived