Modded DL4s, Gear Repairs + Mods

drasp

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just thought I'd share some pix. of the latest DL4, this one done as a 'bare' enclosure. More work than powder coating as I have to hand sand it after blasting off the old paint & then selectively polish parts of the pedal, but. . .I'm LOVING it. :love:

bare_dl4_a.JPG

bare_dl4_b.JPG

bare_dl4_c.JPG

bare_dl4_d.JPG

bare_dl4_e.JPG

• Members

have your mods corrected these issues and created an actual reliable pedal out of these things?

There are two common problems that folks have w/ their DL4s:

1) The spring actuators (the 'switch' part that you actually step on) can fall out or fail if the retaining nuts loosen up. When I replace them, I use Loctite to secure the threads, so the chances of this happening are slim.

2) Power issues or something else cause the unit to 'glitch', for lack of a better term, and either not start back up or make horrible noises or something else weird. This is easily solved, most of the time, by simply holding down A & D as you power the unit on. The unit resets to factory defaults, including a self-test of the 4x pcb mounted tactile switches. There is nothing I can do to prevent this, but I do recommend powering your DL4 w/ a 1SPOT or better. I've never personally had this happen to one of my DL4s, only had 'dead' units come to me that were 100% fine after a reset. :confused:

Beyond those two issues, the board mounted switches can fail (part of why I replace them on ALL of the DL4s I sell) & there is some history of static issues & such that can be cured by re-seating the EPROM chip. I don't think these are issues for most users.

I think that ALL of the problems with the DL4 get blown way out of proportion online. For each thread where a few people complain of having problems, there are a many times more, like myself, who have always had great luck using them & abusing them. Or, to answer your question directly, I have done very little to make the pedal more reliable, but I don't see reliability as a major issue w/ these pedals.

• Members

yeah i figured some of the issues were blown out of proportion in terms of the percentage of owners vs. failure but, still found it a bit worriesome- especially if you read the line6 forums. generally i don't like their stuff but, this is the exception (other than a toneport i use for late night headphone practice).

i AM very interested but it'll be a few weeks. i just purchased a stereo memory man w/ hazarai that is "ok" and a mxr carbon copy so i need a couple weeks to recoup some funds to purchase a DL4.

thanks for answering all my questions and i'll touch base with you in a couple weeks or so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Update! - I've started a waiting list & won't be taking any more DL4s in for January & the first few weeks of February. Just more work than I can handle & I have zero interest in hording a big stack of folks DL4s. . . :thu:

Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to get on the list.

• Members

I'm actually starting to look for a source to buy small quantities of powder coat so that I can do some crazier finishes. Right now, I'm limited on wild stuff - TONS of 'normal' colors, but my powder coater has to buy in bulk so. . .

Anyhow - if someone has a lead on an online place where you can buy crazy colors, etc. that'd be cool.

• Members
What"s the core refund?

Oh, that's if I happen to have a finished DL4 for sale & you want to send me your beat-up, smelly old DL4 to use as a 'core' for future builds. Haven't had any finished units as y'all have been keeping me too busy with your own DL4s! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

PM JManX, he also has them. The switch is really a tried & true piece, they're the same as Cusack uses, and the Moogerfoogers, etc. Quiet, smooth, precise, durable, etc. I'm no longer giving the option of replacing the stock switches as I don't care to stand behind them. Already replaced NewarkWilder's unit w/ 4x of the new switches & will replace the others as needed (and they will be replaced! :evil: )

• Members

"add a huge toggle to switch between banks of presets"

there's a mod to give you more than 3 presets???

Imagine that at "Heel Down" on the expression pedal, you have one setting and at "toe down" you have another. You then "morph" between them

The button simply switches between toe and heel positions, instantaneously, so it's a bit like having six settings

(Though you may need to have the same model)

Archived