xv-5080 problems

dave quinn

• Members

please help!

my xv-5080 has started behaving strangely! the problems seem to be when it is connected up by midi. when i start it up with a midi cable connected to midi port a it starts and then won't go past the scsi device check part of the start-up. if i remove the midi cable and restart then it's all ok but if i then reconnect the midi cable the xv freezes.

this has never been a problem until today when i attempted to conenct a zip 100 to the scsi connection. didnt actually turn everything on, or maybe i did. can't really remember. but i certainly didnt get it all working.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

dave

• Members

this happens even when i have disconnected the zip drive. i tried turning on and connecting the zip drive then turning on the xv. same problem - the xv hangs on the scsi device check screen. i think the main problem seems to be when the midi cable is connected.

• Members

I have no idea what your problem is, but I suspect it would help those here to solve it if you told us what you have it plugged into. It may be that there's something going on wonky there. Maybe your interface (or whatever it is) is defective and sending out messed up signals, or maybe your cable itself is defective and shorting somewhere, which is confusing the 5080. Try a different cable, if you haven't done that yet, then try using something else to send it MIDI signals, if you haven't done that yet.

Kiru

• Members

Try factory reset after backing up user memory area. Still the same..try updating operating system. What kind of device you connect the rack to? What would happen if that device is power off and you turn on the rack first? Make sure midi cable connected properly and in right order. Is that zip drive is still functional? If zip drive is defective, the system would freeze too(like computer with bad hard disk). Check device ID of zip drive too.

• Members

so, xv-5080 starts and runs fine when the unit is not connected to anything, it's ok when i conenct a midi cable in the back of it but turn off the interface the cable is connected to, but when i turn the midisport 4x4 on, the xv-5080 hangs. thats to say when i turn it on it runs through the scsi id checks and then hangs. if i turn it on unconnected to anything, get past the intro screen and into the real stuff and then connect it up to the midisport it hangs. i did a factory reset, didnt help. when it tried to update the os i realised you need a midi connection to do this. when i followed the instructions on the roland website a message came up on the xv-5080 sayine error! midi flaming. the update didnt work.

i tried conenctiong my akai s3000 to the same midi port using the same cable and there was no problem. this seems to be a problme in the xv-5080 and nowhere else.

i am pulling my hair out here. is there a way of updating the os without midi? anyh other hints? they would be much appreciated.

cheers

dave

• Members

Strange indeed.

I don't know why it checked SCSI ID when you connect Midi cable.

Make sure your Midisport driver is in good condition. It should not send out device signal to Midi port. Did you try other midi In of the rack? Make sure you set up right port at the midisport. Did you try SCSI settings already?

You said you got error while updating OS. How did you update?

Using smart media card? Seem like straight forward procedure to me. If you use sequencer to upload OS midi file, make sure they are in Order, otherwise you will have error message and your rack gonna gone blank and stuck.

Archived