Yamaha An200. Same engine As an1x?

Solarcore

• Members

Hello all.

I've been offered an an200 dirt cheap..And some places mention it uses the same sound engine as the an1x, How true is this? and on what level?

IE, Did they just use the same silicon for the Chips? or is it actually the same engine? (as in any sounds i can do on the an1x i could do on the an200)

I dont care for all that drumbox/groove box sequencing crap,

As im mainly interested in the an200 for its synth capabilitys, Just so i can rigg up to my current software setup and SX 2 to take some load off the CPU, by using it for backing pads/leads etc.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

-

• Members

Originally posted by Solarcore

Hello all.

I've been offered an an200 dirt cheap.

I've bought one new for 150 euros (see www.xe.com for your native currency) in a blowout sale so it'd better be dirt cheap.

And some places mention it uses the same sound engine as the an1x, How true is this?

It's not.

and on what level?

AN1x - 10 voices polyphony > AN200, only 5 voices

AN1x - 2 LFO's, AN200 only 1 single LFO (with multiple simultaneous targets, so you can modulate both pitch and filter)

However, the sounds are (largely) compatible and sound pretty much the same, with a few exceptions (due to the LFO). I don't know about the effects in the AN1x, I thought it had more of 'm...

IE, Did they just use the same silicon for the Chips? or is it actually the same engine? (as in any sounds i can do on the an1x i could do on the an200)

Well, see above :)

I dont care for all that drumbox/groove box sequencing crap, As im mainly interested in the an200 for its synth capabilitys, Just so i can rigg up to my current software setup and SX 2 to take some load off the CPU, by using it for backing pads/leads etc.

If you run SX 2 the AN's not going to shave off much load (2 oscs, 5 voices, 2 effects - that's nothing), but it's a nice synth. It also does well as a controller for FM7 - there's a CD with a trial version of FM7 included in the box (at least, with mine, it was).

I've bought it for synth sounds too. Some tips: the sequencer isn't that great (but lots better than the built in AN1x one, which isn't as easy to program - and it's rather cool to 'remix' the sequences a bit), "Free EG" may confuse you for a while as well as "Scene" at first; I've found 'm nearly useless on the AN1x, to me it was faking multitimbrality. You'll definately need the editor, but do yourself a favor and download An1x-edit; the one it's shipped with (XG sequencer + editor) is worthless.

• Members

it still sounds like a great synth to mess with though (since im on a tight budjet, and its cheap, and i dont currently own any hardware)

It was either this or a second hand microkorg.

Also, Do you know wherei can download the anx1-edit.

I searched google, but the one link i do find, it doesn't work :(

many thanks

• Members

Originally posted by Solarcore

it still sounds like a great synth to mess with though (since im on a tight budjet, and its cheap, and i dont currently own any hardware)

It was either this or a second hand microkorg.

Should've said that. A microKorg is also very very cool and it has an external input. No sequencer (but a nice arpeggiator) and no drums, but you didn't care for those. 1 voice of polyphony less, but at least decent bi-timbrality.

Also, Do you know wherei can download the anx1-edit.

http://www.xgfactory.com/html/down/an1xed_f.htm

I searched google, but the one link i do find, it doesn't work
:(

many thanks

That one with "Download" does :).

• Members

thanks for that.. :)

So in your personal opinion, Bearing in mind i don't care for the onboard sequencer, and drums, Purly synthesis (no giging or stuff like that, pure midi sequencer setup)

micokorg or an200 ?

I've listened to (what) demo's i can find, But there isn't shops around me for 200 miles that sell this kinda stuff...so i can't really try them out like.

Thanks again

• Members

I've owned the AN200 and played the AN1x for a while. The MicroKorg is a cute little synth, if it's your first it at least gives you some keys to play with, it'll run on batteries, and it'll function as a vocoder/filter. In terms of synthesis; it's the MS2000 in a smaller package. It has a multimode filter (like the AN200 has) and separate ADSR for both filter & amp (like the AN200 has). Sure - it doesn't have as much knobs, but I think in terms of sonic depth you could get further with the microKorg than with the AN200 - if it wasn't already for the extra DWGS waves which the AN doesn't have, full (albeit somewhat confined using 5 knobs for multiple tasks) control from the front panel - the AN's going to *need* the editor to get any deeper!, and the Formant Freeze/external input.

Even better would be finding an MS2000 on Ebay or something (that's the solution if there's no shops around); on the other hand, that might be out of your budget range.

Of course I may be biased because I already have had the AN200 and sold it to fund the Ion, but based on what you can do with it, I'd rather go for the MicroKorg. If you can record and multitrack the polyphony won't be such a problem anymore, and you'll definately appreciate the external inputs.

If you already have a controller keyboard you might also check out the (discontinued) Waldorf Micro Q. Yellow ones aren't expensive and give you lots of synth power. Their UI is not as fun to play with but you'll learn to get around on it.

• Members

Yes, I would have to agree, of all the reviews etc, And feature set. I would probally be better off with the Microkorg (i make electronica/trance mainly) and it would be nice for me to use the arpegiator on it.

Well, Needless to say, I will still be searching around etc.. See what i can find.

But thanks alot for the info, It was most helpful.

Best regards.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

AN1x - 10 voices polyphony > AN200, only 5 voices

AN1x - 2 LFO's, AN200 only 1 single LFO (with multiple simultaneous targets, so you can modulate both pitch and filter)

Just a subtle point, but AN200 has 2 LFO's, too. AN1x and AN200 has almost the same parameters, but AN200/PLG150-AN have a little bit of extended parameters; pitch envelope attack and OSC1-OSC2 sync, etc.

As Yoozer suggested, AN1x has more effects;

AN1x: Reverb, Delay, Variation, EQ

AN200: Multi Effect, Distortion, EQ.

FIY, my AN200 page has some information and mp3s.

• Members

i've had both the an200 and the an1x.

what got me going with it was the AN section in my EX5R.

i really like yamaha's AN sound and wish they would do an update of the an1x.

but with stuff like the new virus and the forthcoming kurzweil va1, it would have to be either pretty special, or pretty cheap to get its fair share of attention.

there are some differences (an200/an1x), but the biggest one for me was that the an1x has aq much nicer modulation section.

Archived