FS/T: The Goose - Take Flight Pedals. Awesome Fuzz.

Josh33

• Members

150$ + Shipping. Paypal, CONUS only! thank!

Yeah, so i thought i would give this its own thread because im probably going to be phasing out my sell off thread. so here it is... the Goose. i absolutley love this pedal but need other things right now for recording. would love to trade toward a Blackout Effectors Twosome. im up for other stuff as well like Digitech Whammy, EX-7, PS-3, Timebender, Deluxe Memory Man, Cathedral Reverb, etc... +/- Cash. Feel free to offer other things in trade. Cash is always king so make an offer!

great fuzz pedal. its in perfect condition. comes with the little tfp box it shipped in, original wrapping, sticker, papers, etc... no Velcro on it and it is serial number #16 and signed on the back. basically mint condition. I did a crappy demo of it but it sounds a lot better in person! I would really dig cash so make an offer. Trades welcome though!

It's basically a super awesome crazy fuzz. infinite amount of tonal possibilities and just a kick ass pedal. i really don't want to get rid of it, but i sorta need to. its one of those pedals that i definitely would buy another of down the line.

http://takeflightpedals.com/

PC180117.jpg

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am the proud owner of one of these pedals, serial #2. As a bassist I can say this works very nicely. It can cop the Muse "Hysteria" tone on bass very well, even better than the Prunes and Custard.

But that tone is just the beginning. I did an in depth review at talkbass.com if anyone is interested.

• Members

yeah, defintily get some muse type stuff.. and david is awesome, he post on here every once in while and hes a super nice guy! ill be sure to check out your talkbass review for sure... i havent tested it with bass but im sure its spectacular!

• Members

The review, edited for content

First, I have no agreement nor endorsement deal with these folks.

This is Take Flight Pedal's initial offering to the musical community. It has 6 different fuzzes, explained to me as such:

The first 3 modes are set gain levels, increasing in gain as you increase in modes. the mids also get slightly boosted as you increase in modes.

mode 4 is a gated mode.. no noise, no oscillations, just straight thick fuzz.

mode 5 and 6 are completely different. they add in another clipping stage into the circuit that produces the synth-like tone, it's almost like a different pedal.. it even oscillates differently.

It has a wet/dry mix, an adjustable octave level up and a built in oscillator as well.

About the X-O crossover circuit, the builder told me this:

But the X-O circuit was placed specifically for the purpose of cascading the goose into another dirt pedal.

Blending with my Muff will be a wonderful adventure, I think.

It is the same size box as an MXR M-80.

(continued on next post)

• Members

I got my rig hooked up finally (for the most part...need to order a cable to kick in the sub). I am shaking the dust off these old neuorpathic fingers, as I haven't payed for a year or two.

I am starting this thread as a "scratch sheet". Here I will field questions as this pedal is relatively new and I will log my ongoing impressions. Hopefully, I will eventually (next week maybe?) get sound clips going, or perhaps lend it to our in house fuzz God for his review.

Here we go:

Take Flight Pedals (TFP) initial offering in the world of pedals is called The Goose. This is a fuzz pedal with quite a few twists. I have not encountered a pedal quite like this fuzz before...kind of like a Brassmaster meets a noisemaker meets.....well, you get the idea.

Description

MSRP: $199.00

The box is 4.67"w x 3.68" h x 1.18" d. It is painted a very classy looking creme/off white with hand painted "flying goose" graphics. Indicator light is violet. These are handmade start to finish and have true bypass switching.

Draw: 4.2 mA (min) and 7.5 mA (max)

Controls are as follows (taken from website):

vol: overall volume level

X O: crossover distortion level

sanity/blend: clean blend (mix in your dry signal with fuzz)

honk: octave up level

mood: 6 pt. rotary switch, changes your fuzz characteristic

feed: *side knob) go into oscillation (highly interactive with pick up impedance and other knob settings)

internal trim pot: change the input impedance

This one is serial number 2

The Test Medium

Bass: Acacia Custom 4 with Active EMGs 35P4 and 35J pick ups and EMG preamp, wenge neck, Honduras mahogany body core

Amp: Demeter HBP-1 in dBX 160X into QSC PLX 2402 into Bag End D10BX-D 2x10 cabinet (once I get the proper cabling, I will hook up the ELF crosover and 18" sub)

First Impressions (Before I even got to plug it in)

I have been in conversations with one of the builders of this pedal, David Son, as I anticipated this pedal. I note this because he was very helpful with answering question and customer service is a big plus in my book. They even autographed the inside back of the pedal for me. (Yeah, I'm a geek like that).

I had this a week before I got to twiddle the knobs (a process I just began tonight), and had 5 comments to Dave as my first impressions. They were this:

Hi David and John,

I have not yet got to hook up the pedal (I spent today reinstalling Protools so I can record sound clips), however from initial inspection may I make these recommendations? May I emphasize , please do not take these as complaints. I would like to see you succeed in this endeavor, and hopefully some of this feedback will help.

1) As I understand it you complete these in batches. Going forward I would change the position serial number . Mine was on the back in the lower left hand corner. The particular issue is that an adhesive foot was placed over it, so I am afraid if I remove the foot for velcro to place on my pedal board, I will remove the serial number. For me and for most others, this isn't a big deal. However in the stomp box community, some folks may take this as a small issue. May I suggest placing it on the inside of the back plate?

A simple solution is that I believe this is a standard sized Hammond box, so I will get another back to out the velcro on for placement in my pedal board. What was the number of this Hammond box so I know what to order?

2) Battery operation...you can't. I see that you are a bit cramped for room, but still some folks may not like this. Again, not a big deal for me, because I run off power supply, but for others this may be an issue.

3) The manual. I would work on refining it some, including more detail, especially about the distortions (like you provided me in the e-mail) and what precisely the XO circuit does. I am not sure if the function is the same, but ZVEX has a similar fuction on their "Machine" pedal. People are assuming that this is what yours does as well.

4) The paint. I love the graphic design, and it is very classy looking. But the off white paint seemed to have some flaws in it's application. I can see where it seem to have run on the sides some as it dried, and knurled on the top around two of the corners. My take is that it adds to the charm of owning unique, hand made boutique pedals like yours, but other may be that if they pay $200.00 for a boutique pedal, this kind of detail counts.

5) One issue brought up by others is lack of EQ. I was quick to point out that with everything that is packed in this pedal, that may be nearly impossible to do. I also pointed out that if I was going to cascade another distortion with this pedal, I would make sure that pedal as some EQ, which would help resolve the problem. I could even place an EQ in the loop with it, so I don't see the need.

These are small details that most folks may not even care about, really. I am just trying to give you a set of fresh eyes. Again, I only want to be helpful here, so I hope you understand

They were more than open to suggestion, and Dave answered as such:

hey ted,

you're absolutely right!

1) serial numbers.. #1-5 are like yours.. #6-30 got moved to the center of the back. the hammond box is model 1590 (1590BB).

2) because we do not supply a 9v dc adapter, our next batch will definitely be battery operable. i can't believe i overlooked this on the first batch =/

3) we're constantly working on the manual. (note: this is true, as I have seen it evolve already on the website)

4) the cosmetic flaws on the creme paint is due to the fact that we hand painted the box, starting from a bare metal box which we sanded smooth and primed/painted/coated.. although this is a nice-to-know fact.. we're going to have them professionally powder coated next time.. to save us time, and probably end up with a cleaner pedal.

Although our handpainted ones do age freaking beautifully over time..

5) the lack of eq is something we agreed to swallow and accept for several reasons.

thanks ted for your support and enthusiasm! we appreciate your input! we almost burst out laughing because you so accurately pointed out the very things we had been talking about changing for our next run! =)

-dave

So in my opinion, they get a good 9/10 in customer service based on the responses I have getting.

From the initial issues I had though, the most annoying is lack of battery operation, as now I either need to hook it iup to my pedal board or get a 9v adapter. This makes testing a bit tedious, as my only option is my pedal board.

Since they are new builders and this is a new pedal, I do expect and tolerate some faux pas. I have no issues with that.

• Members

Twiddling the Knobs a Bit

I did some twiddling with the pedal and will say this: it is Muse in a box. It nails the "Hysteria" sound better than any other single pedal I have owned or heard, even better than the Prunes and Custard which IMO did a respectable if not perfect job. I was running Hysteria on my computer on some AKG headphones I used to use in the studio to A/B the sound and was able to dial it in pretty easily.

Also, I was able to get an identical sound to my 1st version Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz, which is one of the first boutique copies of the Brassmaster sold by Analogman, made before Malekko did theirs . This fuzz can get pretty gnarly and rambunctious.

So in my previous post, I mentioned that with this pedal you can nail the Muse Hysteria sound pretty easily. It is

• Members

GREAT review ted! the only thing i have to add, is that the goose works GREAT with other pedals... it really comes alive when adding dirt before it because of the way the blend and the XO knob interact with the signal. so many possibilities because of those two knobs. the Honk (octave) knob is great to for adding that little extra something to your sound. Oh, and mood 4 is my favorite too! :thu: but thanks a ton! this helped me learn more about the pedal, and hopefully taught other people!

• Members

GREAT review ted!
the only thing i have to add, is that the goose works GREAT with other pedals... it really comes alive when adding dirt before it because of the way the blend and the XO knob interact with the signal.
so many possibilities because of those two knobs. the Honk (octave) knob is great to for adding that little extra something to your sound. Oh, and mood 4 is my favorite too!
:thu:
but thanks a ton! this helped me learn more about the pedal, and hopefully taught other people!

Thanks.

Since I completed this review, my sub has been hooked up. With that, I have cascaded my Sovtek blue and gray "Civil War" Big Muff into the Goose. It becomes a very different beast, and on the mode last three positions various degrees of synthy goodness is enticed from this pedal. I kick in my Tel Ray era Morley PWB and well, let's just say parking that wah in various positions adds a whole 'nother spectrum to it.

This really is a kick-assed one pedal solution for the Muse-boy sect, but is much more versatile than a Prunes and Custard for bass. One can really use it for a lot more thoigh.

• Members

i was pretty suprised how well it worked with my wah... it really handeled it alot better then most of my other dirt. maybe it was me but it seemed much more dynamic and it really captured the wah instead of overriding it with just noise, and dirt, and gain... defintily a great pedal! sadly i need to sell it to fund some stuff for recording next week. hopefully i can unload this soon...

• Members

haha nice man, yeah me and the guy with the musket couldnt really work anything out. someone offered to trade me a fix;d fuzz.. i think his name was steve? idk seemed like a really nice guy. but grats!!!!! im so jealous!!!!!!!! right now im installing my new mbox2 mini, so that will keep me occupied and hopefully delay my GAS for a while. NEEDTWOSOMEEEE

Archived