Thoughts on the Akai AX-73?

ExplodingBoy

• Members

Seems like a good buy to get a real analog synth. Some don't like the sound, and then others think that it's better than the Juno series because it sounds very distinct. Opinions?

I'm trying to decide between a real analog or a VA to compliment an FS1R. The only reason I'm thinking of a VA over the real thing is because of the reliability, flexibility etc of the newer VA. But then analog is analog.

In the running currently as far as VAs go for me:

Korg Z-1 (not really a VA I guess, but close enough if not better)

Ion or Micron

Virus A

• Members

Originally posted by ExplodingBoy

What are the obvious reasons? I guess what's obvious to you isn't as obvious to me.

AX73 was released before the AX60 I believe. It is programmed using a digital display and a couple of buttons - sub-menu hell a la the DX7. AX60 was released b/c some peoples didn't like that.

The AX60's parameters are all controlled by sliders and are laid out in a pretty straightforward manner. It is otherwise the same sound engine.

If you want ultimate flexibility, the AX series is great fun but not nearly as flexible as most VA's. It does have, for want of better terms, more punch and presence than my Virus.

- very few minuses:

- you cannot detune the oscillators [tho' the mono function which stacks all six oscillators gives a very rich and satisfying sound]

- it lacks portamento [not necessarily a problem but I'm a sucker for porto] -

- it wasn't popular [which makes you a geek amongst a community of nerds, or a nerd amongst a community of geeks, I haven't quite figured it out]

- the pluses:

- you SEE what you are programming - I get more immediate gratification using this than the Virus or any soft synth

- it sounds real good - I've been able to cop pretty much any 80's synth sound and then some

- pretty stable for a true analog (auto tune function actually works)

- has lots of patch slots [64 of 'em]

- functions as a marginally decent MIDI controller - no velocity is the big problem

Laters,

Tommy

• Members

ditto for AX-60 over AX-73.

altough if u can get your hands on AX80 - even though it lacks knobs, it has two oscillators, 8 voices and, i think , 2envelopes - making it more versatile.

if you're considering a VA. i think Alesis would complement FS better than Z1, if 'analog' sounds is what you're looking for.

• 15 years later...
  • Members
On 12/22/2004 at 3:15 PM, angstwulf said:

Originally posted by ExplodingBoy

What are the obvious reasons? I guess what's obvious to you isn't as obvious to me.

AX73 was released before the AX60 I believe. It is programmed using a digital display and a couple of buttons - sub-menu hell a la the DX7. AX60 was released b/c some peoples didn't like that.

The AX60's parameters are all controlled by sliders and are laid out in a pretty straightforward manner. It is otherwise the same sound engine.

If you want ultimate flexibility, the AX series is great fun but not nearly as flexible as most VA's. It does have, for want of better terms, more punch and presence than my Virus.

- very few minuses:

- the pluses:

- you SEE what you are programming - I get more immediate gratification using this than the Virus or any soft synth

- it sounds real good - I've been able to cop pretty much any 80's synth sound and then some

- pretty stable for a true analog (auto tune function actually works)

- has lots of patch slots [64 of 'em]

- functions as a marginally decent MIDI controller - no velocity is the big problem

Laters,

Tommy

What an incredible blithering of ignorance! If you have no idea what you are talking about, then do everyone a favor and keep quiet.There's enough misleading info on the internet already.

To any who want to know the truth I will now educate you:

The above poster suggests the AX60 over the AX743...but, he adds, the AX 60 has some drawbacks....let's see how the AX73 compares to the 60 in those areas:

- you cannot detune the oscillators [tho' the mono function which stacks all six oscillators gives a very rich and satisfying sound] THE AX73 CAN STACK AND DETUNE OCCILATAORS. IT CAN STACK ALL 6 OR IT CAN STACK TWO PER VOICE, THIS MEANS MASSIVE DETUNED MONO SYNTH CAPABILITIES AND THICK DETUNED VCO ANALOG CHORDS......The Ax60 can't do any of this.

- it lacks portamento [not necessarily a problem but I'm a sucker for porto] - THE AX73 HAS FULL PORTOMENTO.

Also: - functions as a marginally decent MIDI controller - no velocity is the big problem. THE AX73 HAS FULL VELOCITY RESPONSE. NOT JUST VELOCITY TO THE VCA, BUT VELOCITY TO THE VCF AS WELL! THAT MEANS FILTER CONTROL VIA VELOCITY!! Can the ax60 do this? NO.

- it wasn't popular [which makes you a geek amongst a community of nerds, or a nerd amongst a community of geeks, I haven't quite figured it out] THIS IS THE ONE POINT HE IS CORECT ON. THESE WERE NOT, AND ARE NOT POPULAR.

Here's the REAL DEAL the AX60 and AX73 are the same EXCEPT for the following pro/cons

AX60:

Pros: Sliders and onboard arpeggiator

Cons: No velocity, no detune, Oscillators only stackable as 1 or 6 per voice, and due to lack of a detune function, the mono stack is useless. Cannot be used as a credible mono synth. No Portamento.

AX73:

Pros: Full velocity response keyboard. Velocity can control both the VCA or/and the VCF (Meaning with only velocity you can create a 303 like squelch sequence where the filter changes every time, very powerful feature for a number of applications.) Oscillator detune, which comes in very handy with the next feature..Oscillators stacks: 1 per voice, 2 per voice, all 6 per voice. Now you're cooking with gas. Stack two a voice and detune for VCO analog chords from heaven, stack all 6 and detune for a MONSTEROUS mono synth.Full portamento.

Cons: Single data slider programming. (Is this hard? No, you hit a # then tweak the parameter. On both synths filter cut off can be assigned to the pitch wheel so you can do your filter sweeps with hands-on control on either one. You can also leave the data slider live to any parameter you want for "real time" tweaks, changing the paramenter is a click away, child's play, but for some...I guess this is too much work?"

No on board arpeggiator (That's Ok, I have lots of Arps I can pump in via MIDI)

For the serious synthesist,  there is no question the AX73 is the superior board. Don't let the ammeters mislead you. 

Archived