Anyone truly know the Layla piano feature chords?

tdempsey

• Members

Hi,

I have set up an audition and I'm pretty "lightly" prepared as a look at the repertoire...

If any of my keyboard heroes here know - or know of where I can get - the chords of the Layla piano feature it just might help impress the band.

I am willing to pay $ if an online download exists (note-for-note transcription) because my classic rock fake books omit this part entirely.

As usual thanks in advance!

• Members

I'm not sure what you mean by "piano feature"; I don't remember there being any piano in either version of Layla.

I have the KVG sheet from "Unplugged" around here somewhere. It's obviously not an exact transcription, but It's defintely playable and sound goodish. I'm pretty sure it was put out by by Hal Leonard, which means it's probably available for $3.95 from sheetmusicdirect.com. Also, you can preview the first page to find out if it's up your alley.

Wes

• Members

thanks budd -

I'll give it a try.

wes - the piano "outro" would have been a better term. It was a hilite of the recent tour and apparently written by the drummer Jim Gordon with the real pianist adding his parts. So it's actually two players at once.

I'll look athe the sheet music site, but if I can't preview all pages there is the risk that its omitted just as in my fake book.

this is what I have learned today.

thanks to you both!

• Members

yeah, the original version (I think on the Derek and the Dominoes album) had the long extended piano thing ....... a guy called Bobby Whitlock.

very long time since I've heard it but I seem to remember it sort of goes ....

| C | C/E | F | % | Bb9 | % | C | % :||

....it does this for a while then goes into another little section ( I think the first chord is Am)

it's not very hard to play tdempsey ..... get a recording and work it out by ear ...... would be well worth it 'cause it's very pretty and most people who are familiar with the original version love it.

cheers, murf :)

• Members

Originally posted by murftone

yeah, the original version (I think on the Derek and the Dominoes album) had the long extended piano thing ....... a guy called Bobby Whitlock.

....it does this for a while then goes into another little section ( I think the first chord is Am)

it's not very hard to play tdempsey ..... get a recording and work it out by ear ...... would be well worth it 'cause it's very pretty and most people who are familiar with the original version love it.

cheers, murf
:)

I think murf's got it right, but it is not in C, it's in Ab or C# or some weird key if I remember right...

:cool:

• Members

..... get a recording and work it out by ear ...... would be well worth it 'cause it's very pretty and most people who are familiar with the original version love it.

:)

you're right murf, I appreciate the offer but this is really the way to go...

Murph? and the murftones ?

Is your nick a BB reference?

• Members

ha ha ....... just had to hear that track again .....

according to me, the whole track is running a little bit sharp of concert ......... making the piano outro "in the cracks" of C and C# . So I'm quite sure it's in C. :eek:

that eight bars they slip in occasionally is .......

| Am | Dm | G | C | Am | Dm | G7 | % |

the second Dm might be a D7 :confused:

this tune will be in my head for days now ..... brings back very strong memories of a particular girlfriend also ;)

• Members

Yes, the whole song was sped up to fit the time limitations of vinyl. So it sounds closer to C# than the C it was probably played in. But do yourself a favor and learn it in C

The really tough chord is the Bflat. Musically, it is a Bflat 7 9 #11 !!

The way to play it is Bflat, D, F in the left hand and Aflat,C, E in the right hand.

The First Chord is in 2nd inversion (G,C,E)in the right hand over C Bass the melody notes are E,D,C

Then play the same pattern over an E Bass

Then the F Chord (root position), and melody c,c,d,e,c,d,c

Then the big ugly Bflat 7 9 # 11 chord.

Get thru this part and you will hear how it comes together.

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, Murf (and all) --

Newbie With Questions here. . . Try to hold down the laughter, okay? I'm a 'Guitarist On a Learning Binge." :D

1) Does the "%" in the above and your other reply about the other little section mean "play same chord"?

2) Is the C/E a C Major with an E bass, i.e., E-C-E-G fingering? (I found a good reference for chords, that even has the Bb9, but no joy on the C/E.)

3) Can this be played on a 49-key "Table Hooter," or do you really need a full 88-key stretch to get it right?

I know it's not really anything for a beginning keyboardist to get hung up on, but my wife reads music, so I'm hoping she might be interested in doing the piano part if her sons and I tackle the guitar parts.

Thanks for any assistance.

--

Doug C.

• Members

1 - yes. Actually, it's standard music notation for "play the last bar again", found most commonly in march music, where space is tight. In the context posted, the poster obviously meant "play the last chord", not "play the last bar".

2 - yes

3 - Dunno how involved that part is, but chances are it'll be doable with 49 keys.

Wes

• Members

Originally posted by wes-ninja250

1 - yes. Actually, it's standard music notation for "play the last bar again", found most commonly in march music, where space is tight. In the context posted, the poster obviously meant "play the last chord", not "play the last bar".

I thought it was such, but being fifty-something and just now learning to read music (while trying to retain those things I've already acquired over the years), I figured I'd better ask. ;)

2 - yes

Okay, thanks. I consider a day wasted unless I learn something new. :)

3 - Dunno how involved that part is, but chances are it'll be doable with 49 keys.

Cooool. :cool: Thanks much, Wes.

--

Doug

• Members

Originally posted by Yamaha_Doug

3) Can this be played on a 49-key "Table Hooter," or do you really need a full 88-key stretch to get it right?

"Table Hooter" ?! :eek::confused:

BTW, Doug C. -

I noticed your Sig. says you're from Maine. Were you previously in Canada? I bought a Korg XD5 on Ebay off a guy in Canada who called himself "Doug C."...

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

"Table Hooter" ?!
:eek::confused:

Yeah, there's a guy in Germany (IIRC) with a Web site dedicated to portable electronic keyboards. He calls them "Table Hooters," and I think that's in the URL. I found it while Googling around for info on the Miracle Piano Teaching System I bought. I s'pose it could sound like a term of derision, but he's actually very fond of them, and quite the collector, modder, etc.

BTW, Doug C. -

I noticed your Sig. says you're from Maine. Were you previously in Canada? I bought a Korg XD5 on Ebay off a guy in Canada who called himself "Doug C."...

I've never been out of the "Lower 48." If not for three trips to TX during my Air Force days, I probably never would have seen the Lone Star State.

I've never sold anything via eBay, but I just acquired an unopened copy of Neil Young's Harvest Moon CD from somebody in Canada. How close is that? :D (The title song alone was worth the wait for the CD, BTW.)

And that Korg would have had waaaaay too many moving parts for me. :p

--

Doug

Archived