Where can I get the metal plate for the Les Paul Control Cavity?

Jimmy Page Fan

• Members

:thu: Hi People

I was wandering where could I puchase the metal plate that goes inside the cavity of a gibson les paul control area?.

basically the volume and tone pots are fastened to this, and I am looking for one.

Recently acquired a bastardized les paul I want to put back to original.

any info on where to get one would be appreciated

Thanks

Big John:wave:

• Members

I've seen a few on Ebay but you might want to make sure you're control cavity is the same size as a regular Gibson. I've seen some LP's with smaller control cavities. Another way around it is to use the standard Les Paul wiring diagram and add a ground wire to each pot. This will do the same as the plate which is really just a combination ground plate and a way for Gibson to make production drop in wiring harnesses.

Also if you want great tone don't waste your time with the polyester film caps or cermamic disk capacitors. In general they're really awful. You might find some orage drops that sound a bit better but if you want some great tone, clarity and control don't go with a cheap capacitor. I went through an assortment of caps and found that the .022uf x 600v metallized polypropylene capacitors are the way to go. You'll have to pay a lot more but you'll get awesome tone control.

• Members

I thank both of you Kindly for the reply:

I agree on the capacitors, I usually use the orange drop capacitors, Torres engineering usually has them, along with Big Mike's Guitars,

The les paul I have is an actual Gibson Les Paul standard, it is a 1984 model, the previous owner installed the Zak Wylde set up and messed up the back plate.

he cut a hole in the back plate for the 9 volt battery then used tape to cover it, what a genius, LOL

I sold off the emg's , not into the metal thing, picked up a set of Gibson pickups for it, and four cts pots.

I want to make most of it as original as possible, the guitar is clean, has a nice Jimmy Page vibe to it :)

if worst comes to worst, I will probably make one out of metal,

the guy gutted all of the original electronics and sold it off just to put emg's on the les paul, why?????

oh well

gotta roll

Thanks again

Big John

• Members

Thank you for the Link Slappymcfinkles: I will watch it, and try to hit it at the end, I have had one hell of a time lately on ebay with people sniping me, well it is my turn this time, LOL

Hopefully I will get this guitar up and running soon

Thanks for the help

Big John

Archived