do you take your Laptop or desktop to your live gig?

bob moog

• Members

Originally posted by audacity works

It
absolutely
is. In fact, the Showcase Editor software is the only way to get audio files, MIDI files, and samples into the thing, as Showcase Arena has no record features, nor inputs.

Think of the editor as iTunes where Showcase Arena is a souped-up iPod with instant start, MIDI file playback, automatic timestretch, sampling, and full remote capability.

About halfway down
thread is a link to a picture of the editor, as well as an older mockup of the hardware's front panel.

Programming your set from Showcase Arena's front panel is limited to:

--Rearranging, copying, deleting, and renaming setlists

--Rearranging, copying, deleting, and renaming cues

--Bypassing flags (each marker and Jam Loop can be bypassed independently, the remaining flags [MIDI program change, MIDI CC change, sample bank change, etc.] are bypassed per cue)

--Setting default cue tempo (including timestretch)

--Bypassing the beat detect engine

--Turning Autostop on/off (Autostop determines whether a cue or marker will stop at the end and wait for another play command)

--Sync functionality (MMC, MTC, MIDI clock)

--Routing of cue, sampler, and click feeds

--Assignment of footswitch inputs

--Assignment of trigger inputs (either samples or transport functions, so hitting a drum pad can, for example, enable looping, or bypass the beat detect engine)

--Utility parameters, such as formatting the CFC card, clock source, MIDI channel, etc.

Obviously, it'd be a lot easier to program everything from the Showcase Editor software, but if you're on the road, and say, a bunch of nuns turn up at your show, there has to be a way to delete your death metal cue or something.

Actually, I'm on page 22 of the manual, so maybe one of these days I'll throw it up as a PDF so anyone interested will know exactly what this thing is capable of.

Ah I now understand your reply on my thread..... ahem.

As for desktop/laptop at live gigs, I use a desktop, but only cause I can't afford a laptop spec'd high enough for what I want.

Setup is:-

P4 3.0GHz, 1Gb DDR 400Hz RAM, Edirol UA1000, Cubase SX and Reason.

• Members

Originally posted by mrblackbat

Ah I now understand your reply on my thread..... ahem.

As for desktop/laptop at live gigs, I use a desktop, but only cause I can't afford a laptop spec'd high enough for what I want.

Setup is:- P4 3.0GHz, 1Gb DDR 400Hz RAM, Edirol UA1000, Cubase SX and Reason.

Cool. I was using a TiBook G4 667 with Logic, simply because I needed MIDI sync. Desperately wished there were some simple, stable 2-track player with MIDI, and Showcase Arena was born.

I'll have to make it affordable, obviously. I'm thinking around $599 MAP for Showcase Arena, $379 for Showcase Club (1RU, no sampling or trigger inputs, no digital out or wordclock, no front panel programmability), $199 for the BigSTOMP footswitch (seven buttons, full screen with cue and marker info), and $79 for the miniSTOMP footswitch (2 banks, 4 buttons, no screen).

• Members

last night I "spun" or "DJ'd" or whatever you want to call it, using just a ibook and a Roland SP-808, which I have expanded with a 750mb drive.

Think im gonna add a V-Synth XT to this and make it my standard DJ setup.

I had been mixing the Powerbook and the ibook, so i kinda missed that setup.

I've also taken my synth kit out which runs 3 computers. ive only really done that once, and it was a learning experience- and i would feel ok to do it again.

• Members

I bought a Dell Inspiron 5150 3.2ghz/512/40gb laptop. It's a good laptop for the money, but at the moment, I wouldn't use it live. When running off the battery, it does very strange things....I don't know if I need a new battery or need to change the settings or what.

Archived