Got a possible problem with a purchase...advice please

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Mis-dating is shady (there ain't no sevens in that serial)but the Fret Job is the Deal Breaker...give him one chance to refund you $300 of your $800 ...A good fret job should cost you less than $200, the other hundred is his fee for being an asshole! If he refuses....go the dispute/return/refund route thru paypal...even if he emptied his paypal account I think the cover the buyer up to a grand! Good Luck!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

this is why i am so Leery of doing deals long distance.i like to inspect and play a guitar before i purchase it,so i make it my policy to do in person deals only.i got burned once and that was enough for me.if i can't deal with the seller in person i
move on from that guitar.

• Members

Hey if you go to his my space page and click videos you can see him pounding your guitar on a take of "Voodoo Child" the clip is dated February 2007, so if he believed the guitar was an '07 then he must have bought it only one month previous...also under his pics section there he is with your strat with a capo clamped onto the headstock...that would explain the decal scuffs! The pics he posted are obviously from an earlier date...

• Members

Wow! that really sucks that you got hosed like that. Sorry to hear that.

What's scarey is i was thinking about buying that guitar but was hesitant due to lack of post history.

I'd like for the seller (we all know who he is) to check in and MAN UP!
I'd like to hear his side of the story.

• Members
Wow! that really sucks that you got hosed like that. Sorry to hear that.

What's scarey is i was thinking about buying that guitar but was hesitant due to lack of post history.

I'd like for the seller (we all know who he is) to check in and MAN UP!

I'd like to hear his side of the story.

yeah i was wondering if he was going to chime in on this situation.i hope he does and make things right with the buyer.

• Members
Hey if you go to his my space page and click videos you can see him pounding your guitar on a take of "Voodoo Child" the clip is dated February 2007, so if he believed the guitar was an '07 then he must have bought it only one month previous...also under his pics section there he is with your strat with a capo clamped onto the headstock...that would explain the decal scuffs! The pics he posted are obviously from an earlier date...

VERY INTERESTING !!!!! :mad:

• Members

I have done three great deals hear on HC. I plan to do more, but this really makes me nervous. There are a lot of honest players and traders out there who simply enjoy buying, selling and trading guitars. It keeps the inspiration fresh and it's just a joy to play a new acquisition. Sure, it's a risk, but it's worth it to keep this great system going.

I say expose the guy immediately. File your claim with PayPal and move forward. So sorry to hear about this.

• Members

That blows!

My best advice: Just ask the seller to help you pay for the inevitable fret job (probably replacement based on that wear!). Then just take your lumps for the rest. You could try for more, but then you risk the seller just bailing completely.

The reality is that Paypal is not going to help you. The seller's only obligation is to get the guitar to your...or really anything to you as long as there is proof that he/she sent something. The only exception is for eBay auctions, which allow for disputes regarding "significantly not as described" issues. But that is ONLY with eBay. Unfortunately, they don't offer such protections with forum sales.

You could also consider reporting him/her to the forum authorities to try to get a ban or something. However, I'd hold out and see if he/she is willing to negotiate here, as described above.

One other option is to file a fraud claim with your credit card. Though, I'm really not sure how effective that'd be.

Best of luck!

• Members

You can somewhat verify if its the same guitar by taking a picture of the fretboard from the same position he did and comparing the figuring of the rosewood. That will at least give you an idea if its the same guitar.

• Members

the seller just logged on....get him!!!

sorry about your troubles, the world of buying and selling guitars is going down the {censored}ter because of scum like him!!!!! good luck w/ your claim!!!

you dont live too far away, pick up VINNIE and go get your $$$$ back

• Members

wow, fail a claim with paypal. that fretwear is brutal.

i've never seen that before, it's not wear, it's abuse.

on a different note - FWIW - i NEVER buy a guitar for more that $100 without getting the serial number and having it validated - with a pic. i have called Fender and Gibson more than i can recall to validate models, colors, components, etc.

Caveat Emptor. "let the buyer beware" ... due diligence baby !

good luck on resolving this to your satisfaction.

• Members
you dont live too far away, pick up VINNIE and go get your $$$$ back

+1 :thu:
I would've been to his house already & he would've been begging me to take the refund & to keep the guitar. :evil:

All his posts here are in the classifieds. That's a clue right there. I hope you get your money back. He won't respond in here. He showed he was a piece of dog {censored} by basically telling you too bad & then offering pm leads to you to pass it along. People like him just need a good {censored}ing beating.

• Members

This is the latest e-mail exchange we just had.

I am filed a claim through pay pal, and escalated it. I am asking for what I feel is a very reasonable $250.00 refund, and I will get the guitar fixed myself.

I did empty my PayPal account, not to SPITE you or try to run, because I'm not going anywhere.

I am at a loss for what I can do to fix this as quickly as you want it fixed. My advice is to sell it if you're not happy. I'm financially unable to do anything for you.

Maybe I am wrong to feel the way I do, but I don't think so.Whether this was intentional or not, it still isn't right.

A new fretjob done correctly, by a local reputable tech is $200.00.... I think 4 years off on the date of the guitar, a scratched up headstock through all decals, and no less than 4 unmentioned dings to the wood make up a very reasonable $50 discount.

As you can see, through my pay pal claim, I am asking for a $250.00 refund. The decision lies with them.

Dr. C

• Members

I'm at a total loss.... Whatever happened to integrity and honesty? Douchebag...

Doc, I think you're being apologetic yourself by only asking for $250 back. I understand where that figure comes from, but he's getting off light if he agrees to that. He blatantly posted misleading information and is blaming you for being "picky"??? Recover as much as you can, wash your hands, and put a check mark in the "lesson learned" column...

Safe to say kbledsoes dealing days on HC are done for a while. Douchebag...

• Members

That right there is the topper for me. I have met some really clueless idiots in dealing with guitar trades and sales online, so I was leaning towards the opinion of "this seller was just clueless or uneducated on guitar conditions". I don't buy that anymore.

What a prime example of douchbaggery. File a claim requesting a full refund. FULL refund.

• Members

How can he not have the money....It looks like he plays out quite a bit from his myspace page...surely he's getting some money from those gigs..

Randy

i say all of us SW mich, NE ill. and NW ohio members go over and collect for scottie

• Members

At least he is still talking with you. i had a trade go down where as soon as i mailed out some pedals, the other guy dissappeared and has not logged on since. I was/am out about $75.00. i hope you get things worked out were your happy.

Archived