Famous drawbar settings

pelleyoo

• Members

Lets share hammond drawbar settings with each others. Everyone knows the basic 888000000 with 2nd percussion (used by Lord, Keith to some extent and Jimmy Smith)

So just share your favourite settings with us and tell us who used them and in wich song(s).

Here's my example:

The Nice - Pathetique 00850000 with 2nd percussion.

(I'd like to know lots of Emerson settings)

cheers

• Members

I don't pay much attention to exact settings. I like to just pull and fool with them constantly to change the sound and make it more expressive. John Medeski is awesome in that regard. If you ever get a chance to see Medeski Martin and Wood live, DO IT!

• Members

One of my favorites is 800000678. Real gospelly sounding. I don't really pay much attention to getting exact numbers, it's more about the curves. Even on the electro you can hit a few buttons at once and emulate grabbing a handful of bars and moving them.

• Members

The calibration on Hammond tonewheel generators vary all over the map. Every Hammond sounds different.

So it's kind of futile to expect 888000000 to sound the same - they won't. I have a setting I use on my Porta-B (835358070) that has this juicy cajun sound that works very well behind guitars when used with smears and clusters, but it won't sound the same on other organs.

You really have to use your ears. Sometimes I'll use 688000000 and it sounds closer to something I'm hearing on a record.

Also dried out caps on the generators will really affect the tone, registrations won't sound the same. I recapped my Porta-B - huge difference!

• Members

Originally posted by ExplodingBoy

I don't pay much attention to exact settings. I like to just pull and fool with them constantly to change the sound and make it more expressive. John Medeski is awesome in that regard. If you ever get a chance to see Medeski Martin and Wood live, DO IT!

+1

I agree with EB. The settings I use depends largely on the mood of the song and the audience. On a slow blues tune, I might use a popular gospel setting: 80800008. During intense, climactical moments, I might have ALL of them pulled out: 88888888. I like to fluctuate in betw for better expressiveness

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Varaldo

"Green Onions" to my ears doesn't sound like it has percussion - just something like 888800000 - no vibrato/chorus or Leslie either - a dry sound..

right. that's because it was an M3.

for some reason percussion doesn't translate well to the M3's speaker. i don't know why.

booker also never uses vib/chorus. he also uses stop alot on the leslie.

• Members

Originally posted by wishfulsinful909

Are these settings replicable in, say, the B4 Native Instruments plugins, or is this a real organ only thing? I wonder

Yes B4 will do it, actually B4 will do it better. You hear about all these factors that influence the sound of the Hammond...those can be tweaked on B4...well not the exact factors but the sound qualities they affect can be tweaked.

It's not a real Hammond but it's a hell of a lot easier to isolate sounds using B4. I've spent a long periods of time sitting there fiddling with minute drawbar settings to figure out what was going on, only to give up and eventually realize it was just the way that organ sounded.

Irritating.

I agree with just doing what you feel like doing and playing to the mood, hell of a lot better way of doing it.

Archived