Best way to carry 88-note weighted keyboard?

Rainboy UK

• Members

Hi all.

I was wondering how all you folks carry your stage pianos around.

Carrying them in soft gig bags in one hand / on one shoulder is a real strain, does anybody have any ingenious solutions?

For example, I wonder if there exists (or it would be possible to design) a backpack, as for the Electro 73, as this could presumably spread the load over the body more effectively.

Or do people use hard cases with wheels and find that easier to manage?

Kind regards,

Mark.

PS Reason for asking: I was about to buy the Electro 73, but I reckon I have been swayed to hold out for the Stage by the prospect of a better piano sound and action (I am primarily a jazz pianist, not an organist) - but it brings a transport issue, particularly as I don't own a car!

• Members

Kinda depends on how much you travel with your gear. I gig quite a bit and load-ins often include freight elevators, long hallways, tight quarters, etc. I would never take any keyboard on the road without a hard case. It really protects the keyboard and gives me peace of mind.

As for the 88 note beast, wheels are a must and if you get ergonomically placed handles for when you do need to pick it up, this makes all the difference in the world. I never really understood the notion of a single handle centered on a road case that has a 50+ lb keyboard in it. The combined weight of the case and the keyboard could be pushing close to 100 lbs and to put that much strain on one arm and one handle is just not good. I had my case custom built to include 2 handles and this makes it SO MUCH EASIER to pick up and balance the weight.

Here is a photo of my two gig keyboard cases. You can see the double handle and wheels. This case was made for my RD600 several years ago and my S90 also fits into it nicely.

cases.JPG

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Eric:

You might want to tip him off as to what those cases cost you. :) I agree with using hard shell cases for keys. Why put out big bucks for the board and then get a gig bag to save a few bucks?

Duh.

Mike T.

• Members

I use a soft shell case that has wheels on one side. A hardshell case would be better, but I doubt I could fit that into my car. As it is, I have to lean the board accross my back seat and tilt it so that it will fit.

Plus, if you do gigs where you'll have to carry the board up the occaisional flight of stairs...the hard case will add weight to the board.

If you're flying, or driving long distances and have space, definately a hard case. If your bopping around (no pun intended Jazz pianist) your general area doing a few (or more) gigs a month....a hard case my make the 88 key board unmanagable.

Im 37 too...at my age its all about trying to take less to gigs, not more. :rolleyes:

• Members

Quote by Learning67

--------------------------------------------------------------

Im 37 too...at my age its all about trying to take less to gigs, not more.

37 and you're already saying "at my age". :eek: I have 20 years on you so you'll get no sympathy from me. :p My plan is to get a van and use a hand truck for things without wheels. The key is to get gigs on the first floor or buildings that have an elevator. :)

Mike T.

• Members

:) Eric, that's an interesting idea with the double-handles. Just to get a better idea, when you're carrying it with the handles do you generally walk sideways-ish with the keyboard poking front-to-back, or do you walk forwards with it sticking out to the sides?

Can you get one with a tow-handle that hinges out for pushing/pulling, or in to be flush to the case?

I'm guessing that none of these hard cases would be suitable for taking on a Cardiff bus! Does anyone think it might be feasible to modify a standard gig bag so that it can be carried by the shoulders, like a guitar bag? Or would it be too heavy/long? Maybe waist straps would help, a la travelling rucksacks.

Ideally I think I would have both - hard case for anything involving a car/van, backpack for walking/public transport.

You see, if the legs of the Stage fit in the backpack too, I could carry a KT80 in one hand, my music in a carrier bag in my other hand, and I'd be good to go! :cool: Or even a KT80 in each hand for stereo and learn the music like I should have done anyway! :D

What do you think... realistic?

Mark.

• Members

Eric, that's an interesting idea with the double-handles. Just to get a better idea, when you're carrying it with the handles do you generally walk sideways-ish with the keyboard poking front-to-back, or do you walk forwards with it sticking out to the sides?

Can you get one with a tow-handle that hinges out for pushing/pulling, or in to be flush to the case?

When I pick it up and move it (usually short distances as I let the wheels do the work for me), I walk straight with my torso pivoted to the right and the keyboard case pointing forward.

As for the pull handle, there is a recessed, spring loaded handle on each end of the case. When I pull it on its wheels, the handle works perfectly. I would not want a pull-out handle, as that would throw off the balance. You could always have one, but I think that would make the whole thing even longer and more of a pain to move with extra handle length. The case is sturdy enough that when I get to a curb or a few steps, I simply pull it up the curb. If there is a long flight of steps, I usually get someone to grab the handle at the other end.

I would not ever go to a gig without it!

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by Miket156

Quote by Learning67

Im 37 too...at my age its all about trying to take less to gigs, not more.

37 and you're already saying "at my age".
:eek:
I have 20 years on you so you'll get no sympathy from me.
:p
My plan is to get a van and use a hand truck for things without wheels. The key is to get gigs on the first floor or buildings that have an elevator.
:)

Mike T.

heh heh :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

I carry my S80 in my SKB case w/wheels. I do agree w/ Mike as to getting a hard case with wheels, worth every penny;)

tuck -

Does your SKB case have the excellent "2 handles side-by-side" arrangement like eric's Anvil/Calzone-style case does (as pictured)?

'Cause I know those Anvil/Calzone jobbers are sturdy but heavy as hell. Looks to me like the SKB dealies, being made of NASA-style high propensity plastic junk or whatever it is... :D - that they'd be a whole lot lighter. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

tuck -

Does your SKB case have the excellent "2 handles side-by-side" arrangement like eric's Anvil/Calzone-style case does (as pictured)?

'Cause I know those Anvil/Calzone jobbers are sturdy but heavy as hell. Looks to me like the SKB dealies, being made of NASA-style high propensity plastic junk or whatever it is...
:D
- that they'd be a whole lot lighter.
:confused:

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "side by side", but my case has handles on either side of the case as well as on the top. It's a pretty lightweight case, but sturdy as hell;)

• Members

I found that Anvil cases are not that much heavier than SKB. I had 2 SKB cases at one time before I turned into an Anvil case purist. I don't know if the build quality has improved since 1998 when I first got an SKB, but I had the 5817 slimline 88-note case with wheels. Within a few normal duty uses, one of the plastic wheels broke off the case. There was limited material left to re-fasten it with a rivet. Then it broke off again and it was pretty much a lost cause in terms of re-attaching due to the plastic getting torn and nothing solid to latch onto. Also, on this same case, the ends became warped at the far right and left ends, such that when closed, there was not a tight seal. I ended up getting rid of it.

I had another SKB for a 61-note keyboard that seemed more robust, but it was carrying a lighter load. I wonder if that other SKB was a lemon or if they are all like that?

I've become somewhat spoiled by Anvil cases custom-built to hold a specific keyboard and the price differential and weight is not too big of a deal. For example, my big road case with wheels and extra latches/handles was about $425 and a comparable SKB sells for $389. When I get smaller 61-note cases, they are in the $200 range, which is comparable to SKB prices. I think they may be a few lbs heavier.

Regards,

Eric

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by eric

Kinda depends on how much you travel with your gear. I gig quite a bit and load-ins often include freight elevators, long hallways, tight quarters, etc. I would never take any keyboard on the road without a hard case. It really protects the keyboard and gives me peace of mind.

As for the 88 note beast, wheels are a must and if you get ergonomically placed handles for when you do need to pick it up, this makes all the difference in the world. I never really understood the notion of a single handle centered on a road case that has a 50+ lb keyboard in it. The combined weight of the case and the keyboard could be pushing close to 100 lbs and to put that much strain on one arm and one handle is just not good. I had my case custom built to include 2 handles and this makes it SO MUCH EASIER to pick up and balance the weight.

Here is a photo of my two gig keyboard cases. You can see the double handle and wheels. This case was made for my RD600 several years ago and my S90 also fits into it nicely.

cases.JPG

Regards,

Eric

Eric -

I just bought an 88key Roland FP2 digital piano + I am considering a hard case w/two handles on it like yours, as you displayed in the pix.

I bought a softshell case with it 'cause I figured I needed something - there was no box, since I bought a demo off the shelf at GC (cheap!). But am now considering taking the softbag back + investing in a decent hard case.

I like the specs on the light cases at keyboardcase.com - their "ultra light" ones are hard shell but only 16 lbs.

I carry my own gear, am not on tour, don't load it all up in with other people's stuff - so I don't need super-heavy duty primo ATA- compliant. I just need something a little more substantial than a "bag" carry case I think.

The FP2 only weighs 32lbs to begin with so I can't justify carrying a 34lbs. SKB case!

:D

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi, sorry to resurrect a long dead thread but I have a Nord Stage 88 which I haven't bought a case for yet.

Nord design a 'semi-hard' one, designed, presumably perfectly for the Stage 88.

My question is whether this is far and away the best option. It will travel A LOT over long distances. Considering this, is it better to get a hard case.

My related question is how well things like the Stage fit in generic cases that are not specifically designed for it.

• Members

Some of you 37 year old "senior citizens" should learn to play piccolo. Or fife. Or kazoo.

If you want to be a keyboard player using a bicycle, good luck.

If you encounter stairs, get help. Does everyone else in the band really stand around and force you to move everything by yourself? That's ridiculous.

• Members

I've been a Gator Case user for a long time. First had a softshell case for my XP-30 but went all out for my RD-700SX and bought a hard case. Even got a Gator for my acoustic guitar, but that's OT...

I can't think the number of times I've been gigging some distance away from home base and had to stack amps/stands/racks/etc on top of the case in the back of my car. Doesn't add too much weight in my opinion, and the wheels are great.

http://www.gatorcases.com/productsmodeldetail.aspx?LID=3&PID=46&MID=207

• Members

Soft cases are for very light travel you supervise all the time. One keyboard over to your buddy's house, that sort of thing.

SKB cases are for gigging in your local city or area. They may look sturdy but they have specific weaknesses. When the metal lip gets bent, you can't close the case any more. The latches tend to snag on things, damaging the latches and the things they snag.

If you're going long distances, especially if you're flying, get a heavy-duty Anvil type case. The SKB cases are not up to repeated airline travel, IMHO.

Wheels are good, but points of failure nonetheless. Get a portable dolly (or whatever it is called in your country).

Archived