Why are Gibson guitars so expensive now

Paramedic006

• Members

I am a lefty and i just got off Ebay and looking around the usual online instrument sites and it seems as the economy is going bad Gibson guitars are more expensive than ever. I mean come on, you need to practically take a mortgage and donate a kidney just to cover half the cost. Anybody got any ideas why they are going up. I know I'm a lefty but they all seem to be going up. I would love a Gibson but it also seems the quality has come down a bit. I have no point to this thread, just bitching out loud. I also know this isn't the place to put this thread, but it seems everyone migrates to the guitars for sale site.

• Members

I agree. Although there is a lot of work going into making a LEs Paul. Arched top, set neck, mahogany with maple top, binding. Gibson has their place. I love them so I have a couple. With that said they also make the Melody Maker which is an inexpensive Made in USA Guitar. I have one of them and while yeah they have the faded finish, the intonation is great and it projects volume unplugged. I can feel for you lefty's though. How about looking for a double cut you can flip over? I have a left RG550 that is my number 2 guita and was number 1 for many years. I don't really notice the playing difference, or maybe it's just play playing ;)

• Members

no kidding MF is selling the SG Standard for 1650!!! and I dont know how they can sell the SG Faded for 900!!!!! (got mine for around 550 WITH case!) funny thing is the LP faded is about $50 cheeper than the SG?!?! and the LP Vintage Mahogny is now close to a grand (got mine for 799 @ GC a few years back!)

• Members

It's called sticky pricing. The prices justifiably go up with time as fuel and material costs increase. Last year they announced price increases due to these factors, but did not and will not lower them now that the demand is lower right along with the fuel and material costs. Many companies/manufacturers do this. They can demand whatever they want as long as people are willing to pay it. No doubt, Gibson is most likely the best quality mass produced instrument available.

We all love 'em....

• Members

Probably best said right above me, but I know a lot of guitar companies that use exotic tops are seeing prices go up on their wood, some are having to find new sources. Might be the same with some LP wood. I know Mesa Boogie has discontinued a couple types of wood on their custom cabs because the source ran out. Or maybe their just price gouging us cause they can. :rolleyes:

• Members

Gibson prices are just plain stupid now. They charge that much because they went corporate and they can. Its the BRAND name you are paying for and all those endorsements they hand out. I have bought 5 newer Gibsons in the last 8 years and all but 1 sucked.

• Members

I bought my LP Standard in '06 from Guitar Center for $1800. They were tagged at $2200. The prices are insane now. Buuuuuuutttt, at the time I wanted nothing less than a brand new LP. I had them ship one from another store that was unopened. The one I received has a BEAUTIFUL top and sounds WAY better. Score!

At any rate, to answer the OP, it's supply and demand. that's it. nothing more, nothing less.

• Members

Combine tradition, the dozens on dozens of classic "guitar heroes" who played em, and hype, and you've got your answer.

That said, I've owned a lot of Gibsons and never payed over a grand, infact, maybe not over 500 for all but one. I've had (that I can remember):

- Explorer Standard (used, Ebay, 500 bucks)

- Flying V Faded (new, GuitarTrader, 500 bucks)

- Flying V 90 (broken and repaired neck, used obviously, 300 bucks)

- Sonex (from ebay, 300 bucks, maybe, if that)

- Marauder (from ebay, 300 bucks)

- Les Paul Junior (HEAVILY modified when I got it, might be my favorite guitar I've had and I stupidly traded it, originally got it for 200 bucks)

I've probably had more I can't remember right now.

Currently, I got my Les Paul Standard for 800 used from a pawn shop, and the Melody Maker for 230 shipped.

• Members

They charge that much because they went corporate

WTF? :facepalm: So they were indy before? not out to make a profit but there to support the underground music scene? And now they've sold out and gone corporate? LOL. People crack me up.

Bottom line is as long as people are willing to pay, Gibson will keep charging. And word is they are having another price hike after NAMM, up to 30% on some models.

And I do agree that a lot of their attraction is the iconic name, much like Harley Davidson.

• Members

WTF?
:facepalm:
So they were indy before? not out to make a profit but there to support the underground music scene? And now they've sold out and gone corporate? LOL. People crack me up.

Dont put words in my mouth... they went the way of the BIG Corporations... which is ALL that matters is PROFITS... They used to care about the quality of there instruments and the affordability for the average working man... Gibson always were a bit more expensive than others but used to be worth a little extra ... now like ALL other big business they only care about maximizing the bottom line.

I am all for profits... but not for price gouging. Which is exactly what they have done.

• Members

Dont put words in my mouth... they went the way of the BIG Corporations... which is ALL that matters is PROFITS... They used to care about the quality of there instruments and the affordability for the average working man... Gibson always were a bit more expensive than others but used to be worth a little extra ... now like ALL other big business they only care about maximizing the bottom line.

I am all for profits... but not for price gouging. Which is exactly what they have done.

The BS about Gibson's "quality control issues" is just that. To say they don't care about quality is childish, and to say that they were ever more concerned about "affordability for the average working man" is just dim-witted. By price point, they've always had similarly-priced instruments, only now they've also go insanely, almost comically priced ones, as well. And their old stuff has it's spotty history for quality from time to time, as well.

PS. What's with the noobs not knowing how to quote other posts?

PSS. Isn't this the wrong forum for this junk?

• Members

The BS about Gibson's "quality control issues" is just that. To say they don't care about quality is childish, and to say that they were ever more concerned about "affordability for the average working man" is just dim-witted. By price point, they've always had similarly-priced instruments, only now they've also go insanely, almost comically priced ones, as well. And their old stuff has it's spotty history for quality from time to time, as well.

PS. What's with the noobs not knowing how to quote other posts?

PSS. Isn't this the wrong forum for this junk?

You contradicted yourself "The BS about Gibson's "quality control issues" is just that. To say they don't care about quality is childish," vs "And their old stuff has it's spotty history for quality from time to time, as well."

You live by YOUR experiences with them and I live by mine... I have owned ALOT of Gibsons over the years and the ones that hve been put out in the last decade are nowhere near the quality in the build or materials as the older ones.

If your under 30 then I guess the newer stuff is what you go by...

• Members

All I know is most Gibby's are WAY OVERPRICED for what they are. All your pretty much paying for now-a-day's is the Gibson name. I mean, I've played several(including my guitar tech's 58 custom shop RI) and their nice but not for me. Something about Gibson's I also don't get is why they use those 57' classic pup's on SO many of their axe's. Too me they sound like total crap, I mean a stock Fender strat's single coil's have more output and a better tone(and I hate single-coil's).

My advice is to just hand-pick a Epiphone(to find a nice one) and mod the pickup's, get a set-up and have the guitar-style you want without the high-ass price tag. Plus, you won't feel like your screwing with the value modding an Epi. Just my 2 cent's.............

• Members

Electric guitars are excellent investments. Imagine having a Strat or LP from the late 50's or 60's that you paid abut $150 for? Some could be worth upwards of 1/2 mil! That is why they are so expensive. Guitars aren't just for playing. They, in some cases, are true works of art.

• Members

Electric guitars are excellent investments. Imagine having a Strat or LP from the late 50's or 60's that you paid abut $150 for? Some could be worth upwards of 1/2 mil! That is why they are so expensive. Guitars aren't just for playing. They, in some cases, are true works of art.

That's not quite true though, back then there were not nearly as many guitars made as there are today. The {censored} of today will never be as valuable as the early models. You remind of my parents when they said to collect baseball cards, the ones that came out in the 50s were rare but by the time I was a kid they were so mass produced that they are {censored}ing worthless.

• Members

your paying for the name...not the quality....corporate greed....buy a heritage, support a company that cares about what they make and cares about the customer.

While I think you are generally correct, let's not fool ourselves. Heritage guitars are not exactly cheap. Your best overall value for this type of guitar is probably a Carvin. Custom made to your specs for $1500? The only issues are the build time and the pickups are so-so.

Plus, you can get a used carvin CT6 or CS6 for under a grand.

• Members

Hey,I just went through a FADED SG,a LES PAUL STUDIO and a FADED LES PAUL,I changed caps,pups,saddles,nuts knobs and no matter what I did none of them sounded better or played better then my EPI SHERATON (also upgraded)! a lot of the price is tied into the importation of various old growth woods,labor costs for building(hello FENDER @ Indonesia plant) American labor at these plants are union and make fine pieces at premium prices. roll all that into marketing costs and BAM!!!! you gotta a product that costs a lot and the music retailers are not even gonna devalue an item that cost them a some serious money to by a dealership in in the first place, hence the after market prices stay stable. If you look you can get good deals but making sense of this will almost always make you feel like you are not getting enough bang for the buck.If you want a great alternative to an LP check out Hagstrom Ultra Swede,Epi PREMIUM AAA TOP Les Paul,Epi S.G.s,Eastwood,or hell get a STEW/MAC kit a big ass jug o glue and build your own!! I have been trying to score a FLYING V or an SG to play slide on and I feel your your pain when it comes to this topic.Happy hunting ya'll!

• Members

True - with today's CNC machining and manufacturing - it's hard to justify a $2000+ price difference against a comparable import coming out of Korea. Some of those late '90s Korean imports from Epiphone and Hamer were incredible values.

Today a Samick (Greg Bennett) or Michael Kelly is a nice looking and playing instrument.

Archived