2 keyboards into one amp.. easy way?

• Members

Yes, I'm looking for something similiar. They exist, but are {censored}ing impossible to find. Luckily, with impossible to find things, when you do find them, they're generally good quality, but it's still not guaranteed, so looking everywhere and ending up with a piece of crap might be a bit disheartening. I recommending reading up on the different brands and buying one off ebay.

• Members

Originally posted by twolefthands

Most keyboard amps come with two inputs, a clean and a dirty, you might consider upgrading?

No they don't. Guitar amps do. Keyboard amps are basically combo PA systems - you generally want the cleanest non-colored sound with the greatest dynamic range from a keyboard amp. The exception would be with certain Motion Sound amps.

Roland, Peavey, Behringer, and Alesis keyboard amps usually have 3-4 input channels on them so you won't need a line level mixer.

• Members

Originally posted by Nightsynth

Anybody ever heard of a 'Y' cable????? You can get these at any Radio Shack.

Will there be any signal quality loss? If that's not a concern, hey, sounds good.

"Most keyboard amps come with two inputs, a clean and a dirty, you might consider upgrading?"

Actually, I use a guitar amp with only one input. I love adding tube drive.

"Might I suggest a cheap line mixer?"

Good idea, but seems like there should be something simpler.

• Members

Yes a Y cable. Or a mixer.

Some bass amps come with two inputs. One for passive & one for active. Sometimes if you plug into both, they both become passive. Bass amps are easilly equal imo to best keyboard amps for amp pick. And can be better. 10" bass drivers easilly handle synths very well. Including the upper treble stuff. When it comes to combo amps, hasnt heard a keyboard one that does as good a job as bass combos with 10" speakers. And if you need a tweeter, is less expensive to get nice bass combo with titanium tweeters rather then piezo ones. Unless your doing the powered Pa speaker route for "combo amps".

• Members

A y-splitter even from Radio Shack shouldn't cause signal quality problems. For a while I was using it to send a turntable and a CD player into a mixer so I wouldn't have to switch, and I didn't notice anything. A whole song mix has a lot more frequencies and they're more sensitive to signal loss than just a single instrument, so it should work. Worth a try before anything else...I mean a y-splitter is pretty damned cheap considering the alternatives. One thing that I did notice is that if one side of the split is disconnected you lose about half the signal strength (I think, it's been a while).

As for the most keyboard amps have a clean and dirty input, that isn't true. A couple may, but for the most part as was said keyboard amps try to keep the signal as clean and true as possible. Not many people want an overdriven grand piano. The compression is also not desired among most keyboard players.

Bass amps are also a very very good alternative. I've never blown a bass amp with keyboards, but I have blown more than one guitar amp. I wasn't being ridiculous but I guess if you just throw too many frequencies in, at any volume, you'll lose it. For keyboards I wouldn't hesitate to use a bass amp though. Depending on the amp you may lose some higher frequencies, but at a gig they'd probably get cut anyway, and at home there's always headphones.

• Members

Originally posted by Elements6259

Is there some sort of device that can combine two 1/4" cables (one from each keyboard) and allow it to be plugged into one 1/4" input in an amp?

I want to do this to easily switch between keyboards and not lose signal quality.

Thanks!
:D

- Nate

What model amp is it?

And yes, the Radio Shack Y adapter would be the way, 5 bucks at Radio Shack -

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=274-892

Heres's what you would do with it:

1) Run cable #1 from keyboard #1

2) Run cable #2 from keyboard #2

3) Connect ends of both cables into Y adapter, which has 1 male 1/4" plug on one end + 2 female 1/4" jacks on the other side.

4) Connect male end of Y adapter into amp + voila! That's it.

:cool:

• Members

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=AdptQmp-2Qf&preadd=action

This is a good alternative to the Y adaptor shown in the previous post. I prefer these Y *cables* because they don't protrude out of the amp like the Y *adaptor* does, especially once you plug the two cables from the keyboards in to it. This one just hangs like a normal cable would. I didn't check the Radio Shack site, but I'm pretty sure you can get them there still. I have a couple I keep handy for various tasks. They are from Radio Shack and they are black too!

Back in the old days, when I was a wee lad in my first band, we owned only one little Peavey practice amp, yet we need to amplify two mics, a guitar, and a keyboard. So we Y'd all of those using multiple Y adaptors (3 I think)! Talk about a quality PA!!! We were pretty good though, despite this technical and financial shortcoming.

• Members

Well I checked the Radio Shack site and they don't show the cable style, but I bet they have them. Also, make sure to get an unbalanced (mono) Y for this task as shown in both of the links posted. The balanced (stereo) cable has two black rings on the sleeve and the unbalanced has one, in case you didn't know.

• Members

Back in the old days, when I was a wee lad in my first band, we owned only one little Peavey practice amp, yet we need to amplify two mics, a guitar, and a keyboard. So we Y'd all of those using multiple Y adaptors (3 I think)! Talk about a quality PA!!! We were pretty good though, despite this technical and financial shortcoming.

You'd fall in love with our PA :) I'm not sure how it's rigged right now, but it's basically two separate PA systems piggybacked via dozens of adapters. I believe we have one mixer going out it's monitor send into another mixer through one its channels. Then we had a practice monitor for the drummer coming out the second mixer's monitor send.

I wish they had more sends and inputs just so I could connect things pointlessly :D

• Members

This is a good alternative to the Y adaptor shown in the previous post. I prefer these Y *cables* because they don't protrude out of the amp like the Y *adaptor* does, especially once you plug the two cables from the keyboards in to it. This one just hangs like a normal cable would. I didn't check the Radio Shack site, but I'm pretty sure you can get them there still. I have a couple I keep handy for various tasks. They are from Radio Shack and they are black too!

Hey, it's just that simple!

Thanks, this saves me an extra investment.

My amp is simply a fender blues. I run synth organs and all sorts of synth sounds into it. It really gives it a cool drive when I crank it.

In my situation, I wouldn't want a keyboard amp because I'm all about that drive sound in the band. It REALLY gets rid of the digital edge.

The point is that I want to keep the amp I have now!!

But thanks all for the help, this makes my life easy. I'll pick one up today!

• Members

I have a kx1200 Berringer Keyboard amp with four channels to it and a hookups,,,are tape deck, CD player, I have myroland hammond vk8 module to it , my keyboard, and a mic it can bee connected to a pa system,, and a xlr mic can be connected..and has a main output to connected even another amp to it..i have this amp for more then 2 yrs..its pretty nice for the money..it sold for 249.00 then now they are sale for 199.-- at some places. I have a monster Y cable. ..its male-felmale spilt,combine in one., i put a 1/4 adapter on the end to enter into my amp.i have not try to play 2 keyboards in on Y chord..i think i am going to try this..i had 2 keyboards..but never tried it cause of the 4 channels on my amp i didnt need to. I got this cable at a best buy...i haven't seen one since i purchased it. I haven't use all my channels and hookups at the same time..i didn't have the need to.

Archived