1966 Gibson SG Special (Headstock Repair)

Slave2TheAudio

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Use your imagination
:)
Tilt your head a little... Sorry

Tilt my head??:facepalm:...ok, I guess that is one way to address the issue...with a silly quip:rolleyes:...unfortunately, every prospective buyer will still be tilting his head and using his imagination to try and decipher the exact extent of the repair...which may be major part of the reason you haven't sold the guitar yet. I understand it is something that detracts from the guitar but posting great, clear pics of the rest of the guitar then posting distant, dark or blurry sideways pics of the repaired area can more often times than not be a road block. Since those were taken with your cell phone camera, I suggest finding someone with a regular digital camera and snap a couple detailed pics to show.

Bottom line is, the repair is there, you can't change that so you might as well let people know just how well it was done and that it's not an issue to the playability and structural integrity of the guitar. New clear pics could be a positive thing and help get the guitar sold during these tough economic times. Goodluck with the sale!

• Members

Tilt my head??
:facepalm:
...ok, I guess that is one way to address the issue...with a silly quip:rolleyes:...unfortunately, every prospective buyer will still be
tilting
his head and using his imagination to try and decipher the exact extent of the repair...which may be major part of the reason you haven't sold the guitar yet. I understand it is something that detracts from the guitar but posting great, clear pics of the rest of the guitar then posting distant, dark or blurry sideways pics of the repaired area can more often times than not be a road block. Since those were taken with your cell phone camera, I suggest finding someone with a regular digital camera and snap a couple detailed pics to show.

Bottom line is, the repair is there,
you can't change that
so you might as well let people know just how
well
it was done and that it's not an issue to the playability and structural integrity of the guitar. New clear pics could be a positive thing and help get the guitar sold during these tough economic times. Goodluck with the sale!

I am not trying change anything. I'm sorry that I don't currently have the technology you have to take great photos. I have been trying to find someone with a better camera and I intend to drive home and find one today.

• Members

I am not trying change anything. I'm sorry that I don't currently have the technology you have to take great photos. I have been trying to find someone with a better camera and I intend to drive home and find one today.

It looks like you had the technology when you took the photos in the o.p.

I would really like to see something clear and straight on like you did with the top of the headstock photo.

• Members

I'm reading through this thread (slow day at work) and I'm shaking my head..

I own and have owned many headstock-repaired Gibsons over the years. Most were bargains and most were excellent players. My favorite 175 is a head-repaired '56. So here we have what by all accounts looks like a well-repaired vintage axe with mostly original parts, at exactly the right price: about 1/2 of retail, and the sellers' getting a really hard time. That over-spray dark-out is Very Very typical of repairs done, many of mine look exactly like that. That was the fashion years ago: lots of coats of overspray that naturally darken and hide the repair. Not fishy, just the common way things were repaired. I actually have a '67 SG special with head repair that's much more visible that this that I've been offered 1700 for.. (keeping it for now...great players).

Bottom line: Nice guitar at a very fair price. Don't like it? Ok, but why give the guy such a hard time? It is what it is..probably a really good player.

My credentials? About 1,000 good guitar deals over the past 20 years ...

• Members

I own and have owned many headstock-repaired Gibsons over the years. Most were bargains and most were excellent players. My favorite 175 is a head-repaired '56. So here we have what by all accounts looks like a well-repaired vintage axe with mostly original parts, at exactly the right price: about 1/2 of retail, and the sellers' getting a really hard time. That over-spray dark-out is Very Very typical of repairs done, many of mine look exactly like that. That was the fashion years ago: lots of coats of overspray that naturally darken and hide the repair. Not fishy, just the common way things were repaired. I actually have a '67 SG special with head repair that's much more visible that this that I've been offered 1700 for.. (keeping it for now...great players).

Bottom line: Nice guitar at a very fair price. Don't like it? Ok, but why give the guy such a hard time? It is what it is..probably a really good player.

+1

• Members

Thank you SOOO much! Finally someone who understands! Thank you for doijg that man, seriously. I have been getting eaten alive for no reason. Thanks again.

This thing has been getting a LOT of interest! Nothing solid yet, still available!

• Members

this thread has become very lulz worthy. first you have NO intention of selling it because of sentimental value but jsut want to know how much its worth (lol ok man). Then your friend is in financial trouble and want to help him out. Then on craigslist your the one needing help. hahaha. quite a misfortune and quick change of heart you have on your hands. good luck selling.

• Members

this thread has become very lulz worthy. first you have NO intention of selling it because of sentimental value but jsut want to know how much its worth (lol ok man). Then your friend is in financial trouble and want to help him out. Then on craigslist your the one needing help. hahaha. quite a misfortune and quick change of heart you have on your hands. good luck selling.

I'm not going to post the exact same thing OVER AND OVER the exact same. I have posted this over and over in many places and I am sick of it. This IS for my friend. Even if it was for me just to sell, it doesn't even matter. Thanks for stopping by!

• Members

I'm not going to post the exact same thing OVER AND OVER the exact same. I have posted this over and over in many places and I am sick of it. This IS for my friend. Even if it was for me just to sell, it doesn't even matter. Thanks for stopping by!

why do you mention it if "it doesnt even matter". Changing stories leads me to not believe a thing you say. If i were in the market for a guitar of this style i would definately turn to my other options just because of this. but to each their own and good luck man i know youve been semi struggling to sell it probably half becauase its a horrible time to sell second hand guitars of that value. it seems like all high end used prices have been slashed recently.

btw sg's of this era are kickass i have a vintage sg with a vibrola (circa 69 or so) its a great guitar and of course i would never sell it but no hard feelings bro (except for the guitar :cry: )

free bump for you. :thu:

• Members

why do you mention it if "it doesnt even matter". Changing stories leads me to not believe a thing you say. If i were in the market for a guitar of this style i would definately turn to my other options just because of this. but to each their own and good luck man i know youve been semi struggling to sell it probably half becauase its a horrible time to sell second hand guitars of that value. it seems like all high end used prices have been slashed recently.

btw sg's of this era are kickass i have a vintage sg with a vibrola (circa 69 or so) its a great guitar and of course i would never sell it but no hard feelings bro (except for the guitar
:cry:
)

free bump for you.
:thu:

Yeah man, I don't WANT to sell it, but times are tough man, tough for everyone.