'1997 USA Stratocaster California Edition.

Laureato

• Members

Offered is a rare '1997 California Strat in Vintage Yellow.

This Cali-Edition Fender FAT Strat was only made for 2 years and is very hard to find in this condition and in this rare color.

This rare FAT STRAT was created and hand shaped in the USA Corona plant, then painted in the Mexican plant, then final hand assembly, including hardware, was completed back in the USA Corona Plant.

The condition is very clean, frets are perfect, and the playabilty is fast and excellent.

This is a rare USA made Strat, ....Its a beauty....sounds great and has a great neck.

Has upgraded Sperzels and Graphtech saddles !!

Nice hardshell case included.

Dont let this one get away as they are hard to find...!!

Price is....$995.00 Shipped

pm me or contact me at:

grooveminded@cox.net

--------------------------------------------------

---------

STratTop1.jpg

Strattop2.jpg

Strattop3.jpg

StratTopFull.jpg

StratBackfull.jpg

StratCase.jpg

CalistratHEAD.jpg

StratSperZels.jpg

------------------------------------------

Vintage Guitar Magizine article.

Fender California Stratocaster

By: Riley Wilson

Strat

Have you priced '57 or '62 reissue Strats recently? The pride of the Fender line ran about $750 when it was introduced in 1982, but today you'd be hard-pressed to find a used one for that price.

However, you can find an assembled-in-America Strat that feels just like a '62 reissue ..That guitar is the Fender California Strat, and it's one excellent value.

We've covered various Stratocasters here, and for good reason - the Strat works. After gigging for almost 30 years, I've come to the conclusion that a Strat is probably the single most versatile electric guitar you can own. I've played rock, country, blues, funk, jazz and more on a Strat, and it sounds great on all styles. If you've never tried jazz on a Strat, use the front pickup, dial the tone knob on the guitar back to three or four, and pick lightly. You're in for a treat!

In my opinion, the best Strats made were the early-'60s models with rosewood fretboards and three-ply pickguards. The louder volumes favored by '60s Strat players resulted in a metal shield being installed on many guitars that helped diminish electrical interference, thus reducing noise.

The California Strat is identical to the '62 reissue in most respects. The C-shaped neck and the three-ply pickguard is there, as are the traditional single-coil pickups or H/s/s, joined to that desirable five-way switch. Little details, like mouth-watering colors like Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue, and Black, make this guitar all but impossible to differentiate from a regular '62 reissue.

The story goes that the no longer produced '97-98 California series guitars were instruments that came to life stateside, were shipped to Mexico for painting, then returned to the U.S. for final assembly. In fact, unofficial word is that this guitar was so good it was taking away sales from the regular American Standard series as well as the '57 and '62 reissues. Whatever Fender's rationale, the California series guitars are no longer available. Too bad, because this is an excellent Strat.

• Members

The California series were made in Mexico of American parts. Here's the link to the Guitar Dater Project link for this serial number:

That said your price seems high.

WIKI-PEDIA

Manufactured from 1997 to 1998 by Fender, the California Series Stratocaster, Telecaster and bass models were a joint effort between the company's factories in Corona (California, USA) and Ensenada (Baja California, Mexico). THE BODY AND NECK PARTS WERE MAND IN THE USA (while the finishing and painting was done in Mexico) BEFORE THEIR FINAL ASSEMBLY AND QUALITY CONTROL IN THE US .

So, u can split hairs about it if u like.

However the history is......

The PARTS (body and neck) were created in the USA and the FINAL ASSEMBLY was done in the USA.

so, i vote.....USA:)

Its a great guitar.

The color is rare, and the condition is excellent.

The price is right.

• Members

It does have Sperzels and Graphtech saddles, though.

Yes.

The Sperzels look GREAT on this guitar.

The pics dont really represent this, and of course the GT-saddles are killer.

Its a pro rig.

Ive kept it in great shape.

No disappointments with this one.

• Members

So, u can split hairs about it if u like.

However the history is.

the PARTS were created in the USA and the FINAL ASSEMBLY was done in the USA.

so, i vote.....USA:)

Its a great guitar.

The color is rare, and the condition is excellent.

The price is right.

I'm sure it's a fine guitar but it isn't worth USA Strat money and that's what you're asking for.

• Members

The last 3 sold on ebay went for $500, $600 and $606.35.

You mean the non-vintage Yellow with single coils, and without sperzels or Graphtecs??.

Yeah, u can get those for $600.00.

Easy.

But if u want the really rare Pro Ax then i have it for sale with free shipping.

• Members

I'm sure it's a fine guitar but it isn't worth USA Strat money and that's what you're asking for.

You are welcome to your opinion.

But i differ.

I say the Hum setup, the rare Vintage Yellow, the Sperzels, the GTechs, and the condition make it underpriced at $1075.00

Its a steal.

On the other hand, if you want a black one or a red one without the upgrades or the vintage color, then $1075 is high.

The other thing u can think about, is the fact that my thread is not your pulpit to come and attack my guitar or my sale.

fair warning.

• Members

You are welcome to your opinion.

But i differ.

I say the Hum setup, the rare Vintage Yellow, the Sperzels, the GTechs, and the condition make it underpriced at $1075.00

Its a steal.

On the other hand, if you want a black one or a red one without the upgrades or the vintage color, then $1075 is high.

The other thing u can think about, is the fact that my thread is not your pulpit to come and attack my guitar or my sale.

fair warning.

Thanks for the "fair warning" but I just wanted to make sure everyone is clear on what you are selling so there aren't any surprises for the buyer. That said, if any buyer reads the posts in this thread there can't be any confusion so my objective is complete. Good luck with the sale.

• Members

Thanks for the "
fair warning
" but I just wanted to make sure everyone is clear on what you are selling so there aren't any surprises for the buyer. That said, if any buyer reads the posts in this thread there can't be any confusion so my objective is complete. Good luck with the sale.

Ok thank you.

Its nice to know that you perceive yourself as the ultimate STRAT authority for the forum.

Maybe this will help you to be more concise in your apprasial of all things Fender..

"""The California Series came about thanks to the joint efforts of Fender's Corona, California factory and its Baja California Norte, Ensenada, Mexico facility," noted Mike Lewis, marketing manager for Fender's electric guitar division. >>>"The bodies and necks are shaped by Fender's craftsmen in CoronaFinal assembly, including the installation of vintage hardware and electronics, is then completed in Corona (USA). """""

So, from there, this particular Rare Vintage Yellow USA FAT STRAT has been upgraded considerably with Sperzels and Graph Techs.

thanx for your imput.

regards.,

Laurato

• Members

Ok thank you.

Its nice to know that you perceive yourself as the ultimate STRAT authority for the forum.

Maybe this will help you to be more concise in your apprasial of all things Fender..

"""The California Series came about thanks to the joint efforts of Fender's Corona, California factory and its Baja California Norte, Ensenada, Mexico facility," noted Mike Lewis, marketing manager for Fender's electric guitar division. >>>"The bodies and necks are shaped by Fender's craftsmen in CoronaFinal assembly, including the installation of vintage hardware and electronics, is then completed in Corona (USA). """""

So, from there, this particular Rare Vintage Yellow USA FAT STRAT has been upgraded considerably with Sperzels and Graph Techs.

thanx for your imput.

regards.,

Laurato

I'm not saying they aren't good guitars because they are, for the right price. That said, good luck with your sale.

P.S. I have a Basson 412 cab I was selling for $400 but I just added new shiny metal corner protectors and an upgraded input jack...wanna buy it $1400?:lol::facepalm::cop:

• Members

It's a beautiful guitar! One question. If the necks were made in Mexico were they not 21 frets as opposed to American Strats with 22 frets? Regardless, the guitar is beautiful and quite frankly I have never seen another one like it.

Thank you.:)

It really is a very pretty Strat.

They made very few of these in the Vintage Yellow

The body and neck were created and shaped in the Corona (USA) plant.

Its a USA body and neck.

This is one of those Strats that has that really silky easy action.

I wont say it plays itself coz u have to do a little of course:cool:, but it is a great feeling and playing guitar.

Recently i dropped my music Laptop and this killed my HD and i lost a lot of my mastering software = OUCH....

So, im only selling this Jewel coz i need to replace that mastering software and Laptop with a new one or i would never sell this guitar., coz ive customized it and its just a really great Strat.

Thx.:thu:

• Members

Vintage Guitar Magizine article.

Fender California Stratocaster

By: Riley Wilson

Strat

Have you priced '57 or '62 reissue Strats recently? The pride of the Fender line ran about $750 when it was introduced in 1982, but today you'd be hard-pressed to find a used one for that price.

However, you can find an assembled-in-America Strat that feels just like a '62 reissue ..That guitar is the Fender California Strat, and it's one excellent value.

We've covered various Stratocasters here, and for good reason - the Strat works. After gigging for almost 30 years, I've come to the conclusion that a Strat is probably the single most versatile electric guitar you can own. I've played rock, country, blues, funk, jazz and more on a Strat, and it sounds great on all styles. If you've never tried jazz on a Strat, use the front pickup, dial the tone knob on the guitar back to three or four, and pick lightly. You're in for a treat!

In my opinion, the best Strats made were the early-'60s models. The louder volumes favored by '60s Strat players resulted in a metal shield being installed on many guitars that helped diminish electrical interference, thus reducing noise.

The California Strat is identical to the '62 reissue in most respects. The C-shaped neck and the three-ply pickguard is there, as are the traditional single-coil pickups or H/s/s, joined to that desirable five-way switch. Little details, like mouth-watering colors like Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue, and Black, make this guitar all but impossible to differentiate from a regular '62 reissue.

The story goes that the no longer produced '97-98 California series guitars were instruments that came to life stateside, were shipped to Mexico for painting, then returned to the U.S. for final assembly. In fact, unofficial word is that this guitar was so good it was taking away sales from the regular American Standard series as well as the '57 and '62 reissues. Whatever Fender's rationale, the California series guitars are no longer available. Too bad, because this is an excellent Strat.

• Members

I bought one on the local craigslist and it was a nice guitar...actually got me into strat guitars...I got it pretty cheap,but I think that was just a fluke...but wasnt the whole point of the US/Mexico venture a way to cut down the cost?I know Fender also made the Prodigy..which had a USA neck and the body and eletrnics were made in mexico...I laso got one of those and I didnt like it at all....but the Cali star played just like the other USA's I have and nothing like the Mexicans or other cheapos....They were always the ones I played and the reason I stayed away from Strats...until i played a USA i thought they were junk.....IT is a nice guitar....

• Members

These were the precursors to the Highway 1 series instruments and were made in very much the same way (american guitar, "tex mex" electronics, finished in mexico, assembled in the US).

Good guitar, but this guy is asking about $350 or so too much.

The vintage yellow isn't "rare". They made these guitars in three colors: vintage yellow, fiesta red and 3 tone sunburst. They made the same amount of all three.

:thu:

• Members

They aren't overly rare. Basically a USA Strat finished in Mexico. There is nothing that makes them better or more desirable than any other USA Strat, and some would say less desirable due to the Mexico connection.

I disagree with the guy who compared them to Hwy 1's because this is a full GLOSS FINISHED guitar.

I understand how the changed parts represent functional upgrades to the guitar, but it is difficult to charge an extra $300 for this. That is more than the parts cost new.

That said, anyone can sell their gear for whatever they want. If a buyer agrees with their price, it gets sold. If not, then the current owner keeps it. It's not a moral issue...

Archived