Korg X5 and X5d

• Members

i once owned the original X5, and have played the D version. The main difference seemed to be that the D had alot more sounds onboard, more up-to-date for the time. Other than that, they seemed almost identical.

They were the Juno-D of their time. :)

• Members

hey Piano dude, I have had both and the X5D is the one to get

FYI, both were available in a mini rack module.

The X5D and X5D/r contain all the sounds

of the X5D plus more programs and more combi's

I think the actual count is 64 extra

• Members

Originally posted by The Piano Man

I think it's about time Korg replaced it. X7 anyone?

Yeah keep the price and do a away with that silly "two bit" screen which I am not sure is even backlit.

• Members

Never tried the X5D, but the X5 sounded thin and "plasticky" compared to the M1 or T series ROMplers. Korg advertised the X5 as "all the M and T series sounds in one light, portable unit" -- I hardly think so. Must have used cheaper D/A converters; much cheaper overall hardware build (cheap, toyish). I think even the X3 had a better sound.

• Members

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

Never tried the X5D, but the X5 sounded thin and "plasticky" compared to the M1 or T series ROMplers. Korg advertised the X5 as "all the M and T series sounds in one light, portable unit" -- I hardly think so. Must have used cheaper D/A converters; much cheaper overall hardware build (cheap, toyish). I think even the X3 had a better sound.

+1

Owned both the X5D and M1. The X5D is long gone, but I held onto the M1. Much better sound (warmer, richer).

• Members

Yeah the X and N series use largely the same multisamples and have a great deal in common. I always loved the AI2 synth sounds, cheesy though they were, the M, T, O, X and N series keyboards were AMAZING for rock and power metal. With a few minor differences they're all basically the same bloody thing anyway.

As I understand it (and I may be wrong) the N5 has a 12mb wave ROM which contains the 8mb from the X5D plus extras. The N5EX and N1 contained an extra 6mb which was largely piano sample data... but still not very good O_o

Ahhh Korg, learning a valuable lesson from Commodore - it IS possible to market about 100 different products, all with the same features and components, and still make money :D I salute you.

• Members

I think it has about three good sounds... one of them is a flutey sound, another is the B3 and another is the sound of the on/off switch... :-)

the keyboard is like they got allthe head honchos together at a drunken xmas party and said "Hey lets have a design the worst feeling keyboard action ever competition!! COOL!" and then they went thru several iterations all trying to out do one anotheruntil they were happy with how bad it felt... just awful..

Theres no excuse for a bad feeling keyboard in a synth that costs more than a few hundred dollars never mind one thats around $500 or so... even the cheesey PSRs and Casio Cheesemaster 30s of this world feel better..

• Members

After owning a decent keyboard I agree wholeheartedly - the action was wank :) too spongy and cheap. But until I knew what better keyboards felt like it was the best thing since sliced bread. I'd probably still buy an NX5R if I saw one cheap... and use a decent keyboard to control it ^_^

• Members

Originally posted by flat earth

the X5s key action is identical to the Triton le and I think, Karma.

Feels flimsy.

All it needed was weights glued under each key, like on my JD.

makes a huge difference. (suppose its down to costs
:rolleyes:
)

The Karma has a Fatar keybed. The LE is ... well, I don't know who makes the keyboard for the LE, but it's not as good as the Karma and that's saying alot.

I've thought bout how great it would be to buy small key weights and glue them under each key. The Emu PK6 I owned had them and the action was much better than my Triton LE. I would easily spend $50-$75 for an aftermarket product that would improve the action on my LE. Of course, I'm sure the springs that are used to support the key bed are tension porportional to the flimsy key action of the LE.

Shame too... my LE is a great, cheap rompler/sampler for regular gigging.

• 14 years later...
  • Members
On 5/31/2005 at 3:55 PM, brzilian said:

IK have de M1 and the X5.  they are different . I normaly use the M1 but for some reason the X5 has also a nice sound to use in some parts. just bought a broken X5D to repair, what I did with both M1 and X5 

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

+1

Owned both the X5D and M1. The X5D is long gone, but I held onto the M1. Much better sound (warmer, richer).

Archived