OT(?): Anybody else sick of the GODDY-bumps?

BOBA JFET

• Members

I'm just trying to get a feel for where the forum is at on this. Maybe I'm the only one. But is there any particular reason that every new page of a thread has so start with

"GODDY!

:D"

or

"GODDY!

:cool: "

or even

"GODDY!

:confused: "

?

Is there any purpose to this? It's not like the threads usually need a bump, it's the active threads that usually see the most GODDY-bumping. It's also not like we don't have an extremely popular anything-goes p120dUdE thread (and many other designated OT threads) right on this forum, and of course the entire OJ forum.

I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon, and if I'm the only one who finds this extremely irritating, let me know and this is the last anybody will ever hear from me on the subject.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At first, I found the whole GODDY thing a mystery...a non sequitur.

But then later I learned to appreciate it as a mark of appreciation, not unlike applause, or a little break in the wind of dialogue, not unlike a fart itself, or a social commentary, or simply a reminder to take a little break from the tedium and roll a fresh Goddy.

Now that's Goddy!

Of course, it takes a Master's touch to know when to insert said Goddy, that's why we neophyte rubes have to study this intricately for a very long time before we attain Goddiness. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Smokin-Man

Well, at least their better than say...

pseudo-bumps
;)

GODDY!

See, here is the thing. Now, this may not mean much to you, but I am honestly considering putting you on my ignore list simply because I know it would virtually eliminate the posts in question. Chris100 does it sometimes too, but that's kind of not really a problem to me because he's kind of already on that list. I'm really hesitant to do that because I don't actually have a problem with you personally. Actually, I think your a pretty cool guy in general. It's just that frankly the vast majority of your posts are GODDY-related, and I really dislike it that much.

• Members

Originally posted by Phineas

At first, I found the whole GODDY thing a mystery...a non sequitur.

But then later I learned to appreciate it as a mark of appreciation, not unlike applause, or a little break in the wind of dialogue, not unlike a fart itself, or a social commentary, or simply a reminder to take a little break from the tedium and roll a fresh
Goddy

Now that's Goddy!

Of course, it takes a Master's touch to know when to insert said Goddy, that's why we neophyte rubes have to study this intricately for a very long time before we attain Goddiness.
:D

I don't have a problem with the word, if used as a descriptor, or even if somebody simply posts "GODDY!" to express appreciation of something, as you describe. What I am seeing is nothing more than posting "GODDY!" along with an emoticon or 5 simply to start a new page of a thread. There's no reason for that. The new page would have started itself without a GODDY-bump. Even then, I really don't care if it's on some silly OT thread to begin with. But when it's consantly interjected in the middle of serious, active threads by people not even involved in the discussion, it's bothersome to me. It is like a fart, and a fart can be funny in context. But it's rude to walk into somebody's discussion, fart, grin, and walk off.

Oh, and I'm no neophyte here. I just change handles a lot, partially because I get sick of looking at the same name, and partially because it's my strange way of rebelling against the notion of "senior" membership based solely on post count. In fact, I'm almost due for a switch.

• Members

Originally posted by BOBA JFET

It is like a fart, and a fart can be funny in context. But it's rude to walk into somebody's discussion, fart, grin, and walk off.

If you're really mad at someone, walk a mile in their shoes.

Then, you're a mile away, and you still have their shoes.

• Members

I've got to admit to being annoyed by the whole "must-post-GODDY-as-the-first-post-on-every-page" compulsion. I'm on dialup here, and it's happened more than a few times that I'll be following a reasonably intelligent conversation, and upon loading the latest page, I'm greeted with GODDY and nothing more.

It's frustrating that I'm wasting bandwidth on this. It's frustrating that I'm looking for intelligent information (whether supporting my beliefs or tearing them down) but I find only empty post-count padding material. Maybe once it used to be funny.

The maddening thing is, I've seen Smokin-Man post intelligent, useful info in the past. Lately, the posts I see make me pissed off at the time I've wasted rather than thoughtful, amused, or even righteously indignant. It's just annoying. And it causes me to dismiss a person who I know is capable of offering interesting ideas, as a time-waster and annoyance. I don't like that.

Of course, it takes a Master's touch to know when to insert said Goddy

That's the problem. It doesn't. GODDY shows up as the 21st post, hence the first post on the next page. It's completely formulaic, having long ago forsaken even the pretense of absurdist spontaneity. There's nothing new introduced with any GODDY post. I mean, "pathetic resonance" got old, but at least its proponents bothered to couch it within grammar that at least attempted humor.

Hell, even I can count to 21 if I take my shoes and pants off.

Not that my opinion matters, but there you have it.

-Hoax

• Members

Goddy=Goddy. Like it or not. :D

If you have to post because you are bothered by the Goddy, you should go get a Hobby, because there are more important things in life to worry about than a 5 letter word, nerd. :eek:

Archived