Changing Key for Male song to sing Female song?

Neole

• Members

If I have songs written for a female voice, and I want to change it to a male song, how many semitones would I have to shift it by? Is there a general rule I can use? I have a few such songs I have recorded in female voices and now want to record in a male voice (with changed lyrics of course!)

• Members

There's no set number of semi tones to transpose songs from one gender to another. People's voice ranges vary so much, you have to try different keys to see what fits individual singers best.

If you're a Suprano and you want to transpose for a Tenor, it would be a different number of semi tones that if either of the above were different.

I guess I'm not very much help, huh? :)

Mike T.

• Members

The average difference I'm told is about a 5th, but as the others have said, it'll depend on what the singers range is like.

A quick dogpile turned up a link that might be useful to you generally, it gives ranges as follows:

"As a general rule:

Soprano - High female voice, G3 (below middle C4) to F6 above high C6 although anywhere above high C can be included.

Coloratura - A singer, usually soprano, who sings ornamental passages in music - C4 to F6 or G6 above high C6

Lyric Soprano - Warmer middle sound - Bb3 below middle C4 to high C6 or D6

Spinto Soprano - Usually a thicker sound with more edge and volume but with the same range as a the Lyric Soprano

Dramatic Soprano - The loudest and lowest with cutting power - low Bb3 or A3, to a pushed high C6

Mezzo-Soprano - Middle female voice with dark quality, Low A3 or G3 (below middle C4) to at least high C although it is not uncommon for high A6 or Bb6 to Eb6 above high C6.

Alto or Contralto - Low Female Voice, low C3 (below middle C4) to high C6 or up to high A6.

Tenor - High Male Voice, C (an octave below middle C) up to high C or D (or above).

Countertenor - Highest male voice, also called alto, often falsetto

Heldentenor - Poweful dramatic tenor voice

Baritone - Middle Male Voice, low G/F an octave below middle C to B, F or G above middle C (just below the Tenor high C).

Bass - Baritone - More like a bass than a baritone, lacks the low bass notes

Bass - Low Male Voice, low E (or lower) an octave below middle C to E, F G above middle C.

Basso Cantante - High bass voice suitable for solo singing

Basso Profundo - Deep bass voice encompassing about two octaves above C below the bass staff "

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/vocal_range_key.html

Archived