Custom Waterslide Headstock Decals

vidiot72

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Vid...nice job with the decals. I've been doing these as well now for about 10 years or so. I do have one trick to offer that I may have overlooked but I didnt see mentioned in this thread anywhere............Before applying, spray over the decal with a light coat of laquer (wouldnt hurt to do this before mailing them)...this will keep the ink from being so fragile and rubbing off and will also give the decal itself a little more strength. I do have a question if you dont mind me asking.......where are you getting your waterslide stock? The last that I bought, which was a while back, came from a model train company and I really wasnt happy with it. The ink didnt adhere to it very well and it was overly fragile as well. Another trick that I figured out for total neck refinishes is using transparent plastic sheeting (very thin) instead of waterslide. You just apply a coat of laquer and while it's still wet, lay the decal in it. The laquer acts as the adhesive. Then just continue spraying over it with more coats.

• Members

OK, back from the desert bump! Dude! Vegas was a blast. I will be mocking some decals up tomorrow and sending out some proofs so watch your mail. Who else wants some?!

Just for the record though I DO seal all of the decals before I send them!

• Members

I have done one gibson but I haven't seen the finished product. Here is a test I did but the ink wasn't dry and the laquer wasn't dry when I dipped it so this was the Murphy's law test. It is also applied over the existing logo and you can see that sticking out. All in all it was a sucess. If you are going to laquer over it I'm sure it will be fine.

100_1720.jpg

• Members

No man, that's a parts guitar that I have laying around. My kid picked it up for $5. I think it's a Castille. It's good for testing on though and maybe doing your best Pete Townsend imitation! Oddly enough it had some really cool old grovers on it, you know the ones with the stars in the middle. Too bad it only had 4 of 'em.

thats the only EPI I thought you had?)

Actually, I just got a Samick SG from senor penguin and an Epi LP Custom from DJ. I'm digging humbuckers again I guess. Actually, they are both projects, I can't pass up a project! Keep an eye out though, I'm sure I'll have another "I hate Gibson style guitars" sell off soon!

Diggin' that Hendrix logo

Like the Hendrix decal BTW......................

Thanks guys, I really like that one too. It will look even better when it's applied. I may print one for myself. Hell, everyone should have one. Who's first?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vidiot72

View Post

No man, that's a parts guitar that I have laying around. My kid picked it up for $5. I think it's a Castille. It's good for testing on though and maybe doing your best Pete Townsend imitation! Oddly enough it had some really cool old grovers on it, you know the ones with the stars in the middle. Too bad it only had 4 of 'em.

Actually, I just got a Samick SG from senor penguin and an Epi LP Custom from DJ. I'm digging humbuckers again I guess. Actually, they are both projects, I can't pass up a project! Keep an eye out though, I'm sure I'll have another "I hate Gibson style guitars" sell off soon!

Thanks guys, I really like that one too. It will look even better when it's applied. I may print one for myself. Hell, everyone should have one. Who's first?

haha. If I had a JimiCaster style axe I would be all over it. It did give me an idea though... My EVH replicas... Put an evil Eddie picture on the same part as the Jimi head... And put some sarcastic phrase like "I invented these stripes - I'm suing you!" confused.gif ... For some reason with those ate up pictures of Eddie surfacing, I hear that coming out in the voice of the wicked witch of the west in my head. lol icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Geez....er! I just saw a picture from his wedding recently and he actually looked pretty good, why can't I get old and better looking?

eddie-wedding-b.jpg

Dude got face implants, teeth implants, probably 50 hours of recon to that jacked up drug and alcohol riddled face! lol

He's the 6 million dollar face! cop.gif

• Members

View Post

BAM! Ain't nobody got service like that!

jimicastercopy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by djfrank

View Post

haha. If I had a JimiCaster style axe I would be all over it. It did give me an idea though... My EVH replicas... Put an evil Eddie picture on the same part as the Jimi head... And put some sarcastic phrase like "I invented these stripes - I'm suing you!" ....icon_lol.gif

Here ya go Vidiot!:

Quote Originally Posted by CenturyStanding

View Post

evh.png