Taylor 712CE wide nut $1,595

gary0319

• Members

***SOLD***

Thanks, Gutch

I have a 2000 Taylor 712ce Cedar/Rosewood in near mint condition. No scratches, No smoke. Pink Poodle case.

This is a great fingerstyle guitar along the lines of Taylor's Chris Proctor signature model. Huge sound for a small body guitar.

All offers responded to.......

All questions responded to quickly. Thanks for looking.

Gary

• Members

not sure what he's referring to regarding the bridge heel, but the neck joint near the headstock (behind the nut/first fret) on the newer instruments have the NT neck.....its actually a finger joint that couples the headstock to the neck. Either there's a zig-zag of a finger joint there, or there's not.

• Members

sorry, I didn't mean "bridge heel", I meant neck heel. On the new taylors, the zigzag splice joint is around the 2nd fret and also the neck heel. Not sure when they switched but the original necks were one piece except for the laminates on the sides of the headstock.

• Members

No problem,

I think we have established tht this guitar does not have the NT neck. Also, I'm adding to the thread title that I'm interested in all offers at this time. Not wanting to give it away, but I'd serirously consider lower offers.

Thanks,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I like the idea of the wide nut. I take it that it is wider than the standard 1 3/4. Can you tell me more? Just how wide is it? How do non-classical fingerpickers like the neck? Is it a problem for fretting with the left thumb?

Thanks

• Members

I like the idea of the wide nut. I take it that it is wider than the standard 1 3/4. Can you tell me more? Just how wide is it? How do non-classical fingerpickers like the neck? Is it a problem for fretting with the left thumb?

Thanks

I'll step in until Gary sees this......the neck is 1 7/8.....back in the late 80's Taylor had an overstock of 12 strings necks one year, so they made a few extra Grand Concerts back then with the 1 7/8 overstock. Some folks like myself were fortunate enough to acquire one of those early instruments. Mine served as my main performing instrument from '91 until about 2004.

I have pretty small hands, but just became accustomed to having extra room to roam. I never had any problem with the "wraparound" chords with the left hand, partly due to Taylor's shallow neck profile. There are even some folks (including myself) that believe the extra mass of the wide neck increases tone transfer......

• Members

there are no issues with the neck or electronics....Taylor simply chose to change them to something they felt was better.....in my opinion, I like the old style in both cases....I've found the new expression system to be very lackluster, and while the NT neck has some merit from a technical standpoint, I feel the old one piece neck may have better tone transfer....

• Members

Fitness,

Thanks for that nice history on the wide-necks. As followl up for Chichikov, I'll offer the following.

I had a Taylor 12 string at one time and can attest to the neck being the same. I have smallish hands, but have had no problem with this neck. I can echo that the wider string spacing makes for easier fingerstyle playing and, although I never connected the wide neck/tone transfer, it could be one reason for the really big sound that comes from this particular guitar.

I just took some string width measurments on the 712 at the nut. The measurement from the outside of the E string to E string is 1 5/8". This compares to my 512 with a 1 3/4 neck of 1 17/32 for the same measurement. If my math and measuring is correct that is a 3/32 difference, actually less than the 1/8 inch nut difference.

I'll be happy to address any more questions and, thanks again, Fitness

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I ahve about 6 acoustics I was looking to trade or sell. I would love to trade 2 or maybe 3 of mine for your Taylor. My acoustics are all USA, all original and in near mint condition.

1. USA 90's Guild Songbird, Gloss Black, Fishman, HSC

2. USA 90's Guild DV25, Gloss Natural, OHSC

3. USA '92 Ovation Collector's, onboard preamp/eq

4. USA '94 Ovation Collector's, onboard preamp/eq

5. USA '03 Ovation Collector's, onboard preamp/eq

Please let me know. I am 49 and not a scammer or a dealer.

Thank you.

John

Archbald, PA

jqballer1@yahoo.com

570-878-9906

• Members

Hi John,

Quite a pile up you have there. Looks to me like most of them (if not all) are 1 11/16 nut guys. Too narrow for my old hands. However, I'm not familier with the Songbird, tell me a little more about that. I'll have to pass on the Ovations.

Gary

• Members

Gary,

send me you email address and I will send you pictures. It is a very nice small bodies almost LP shaped with all solid woods. Has nice neck and width on fret board as does the DV25. You are right about the Ovations except for the 2003 Collector's, that has a wider fretboard.

John

jqballer1@yahoo.com

Here is a link to all my guitars I am selling or trading

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/353594531.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived