Yamaha KX88...The holy grail of controllers?

Gatorkeys

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

Kurzweil MIDIBoard is 53 5/8 x 20 1/2 x 5 1/8 inches.

...and it is one of the few master controllers that you can place a decent sized synth (or laptop, or controllers, etc.) directly on top of it.

Everything else MC said: +1

• Members

Originally posted by Cydonia

The only other poly aftertouch action that rivaled the MIDIboard was the Prophet T8, although it was missing one octave.

The ultimate was the Yamaha CS-80, but of course it was waaay pre-MIDI. Poly AT definitely works best on a wooden piano key type controller. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the T8 transmit PolyAT only locally and not over MIDI?

• Members

Originally posted by Ski

Unlike a Rhodes (which I think is a terrible comparison - they're not alike at all), the keys on the KX88 snap back very quickly, very similar to an acoustic piano.

Perhaps, but on the down strike the keys are mush......pure mush, a la an old suitcase Fender Rhodes. I happen to like that mush, but many people do not like mush, but its mush nonetheless. It is fun writing mush. Mush. Mush. Mush.

• Members

Well guys, I finally got the all clear. I'm going to be buying the KX88, hopefully meeting up for the delivery this weekend. I'm looking forward to it! My dad also agreed to buy the trinity rack for me as an early B-day present.:D Hopefully the seller still has it up. Finally, I'm going to need to figure out the amp/monitor I'm getting. The Behringer KX1200 is tempting since it's a pretty low price, and looks like it could put out the power I need.

P.S. I recently bought this on-stage two tiered double braced stand from musiciansfriend.com

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/search/detail/base_pid/450342/

I haven't really stopped to take the time to figure this out yet, but it says that I'm supposed to take out the end caps in the back of the base stand, and slide in the attachments for the second tier, then hook them up. Anyone used this before and recommend what to get the endcaps out with? I don't know that I want to ruin them to get them out.

• Members

Well, I'm hoping to get a hold of this guy soon, I haven't heard from him in a bit, I really want the KX-88. My TR rack is on it's way, and I can't wait to get to use it. Is there any piano patch you guys would recommend I add to the TR rack somehow? I've heard they're not considered very good, and the only other source I have available are the ones from my Casio, which are average. Anyone have more input on the amps or my stand?

• Members

Well, good news from the front. The Korg TR rack is currently being shipped to my apartment in Gainesville, and I'm either meeting up with the Yamaha guy this Sunday to buy it from him, or my dad will next Thursday, since he's heading that way anyways and it's a fairly long drive there. :)

Now, I know I'm going to need to get two midi cables for my setup. Is it really necessary to try and get something like monster cables or another high end brand for this, or will just standard do? I.E. does it make a big difference? Also, for the setup, do you know if I'd be able to have the sounds from the TR rack go to both my Yamaha KX-88 and Casio WK-3500, and have the casio's sounds go to the Yamaha KX-88? I'm certainly not versed in the world of cables. It looks like I could get two 6' midi cables from monster on ebay for $20. It seems like a good deal to me.

• Members

Wow...that Monster cable bull is too stupid for words. I'm not going to be bringing them any business anytime soon. In the meantime, I suppose I'll see what I can find on ebay that sounds good. Would my instrument cable need to be top notch either? I'll hopefully be getting an amp soon enough once I figure out what to get and the find the right price...

Patience can be so hard sometimes! :D Fortunately it's already payed off for me.

Paostby you said the only thing I'll need MIDI out for from the TR is to save things to my computer, but won't I use that to feed it to my midi controller? I can't say I've ever done any sort of midi setup previously, aside from briefly hooking my Casio up to my laptop, which was a neat experience, although it did have some troubles with the connection timing out in the middle of transfers.:mad:

This is sort of off the current topic, but anyone have any ideas about the stand issue I mentioned up a few posts? I'm not sure the best way to remove the end caps to insert the second-tier, since I didn't know if I'd regret runing them while getting them out later on.

Back to the midi cables though, would you guys say to avoid something like GC price wise when midi cable shopping and try and stick with the likes of ebay? Where do you usually get yours? I'll probably be in GC tomorrow.

• Members

I think GC has Hosa MIDI cables. They work just fine and the prices seem fine.

You are going to use the KX with a rack unit, right?. The rack unit doesn't SEND any MIDI info. It needs to recieve MIDI info FROM the KX.

The rack probably has a way to save the programming to a computer. This is where its' MIDI output is used.

• Members

Alright guys, I got the controller, and this is exactly what I wanted! I love the feel, it isn't so stiff as to hinder playability, but doesn't pound out a sound when one of my fingers accidentaly partly pulls another around it. It snaps back quick enough for fast licks, and feels just right!:D

Another plus is that once I got the kx-88 on the main level of my stand, and the casio wk on the second, all I had to do was plug everything in, and whatever sound I had selected on the WK was what was played. I never really expected it to be that easy. From the looks of the manual, programming won't be quite as simple, but it doesn't really seem impossibly difficult if/when I spend some quality time.

My Korg TR rack should be here tomorrow hopefully, and I have a second midi cable. How would you guys recommend I place my rack unit? Perhaps velcrow on the underside since there's a strip on each side of the KX-88? Also, can I run the midi out to the rack, then out to the casio or something similar? I'd like to continue using the Casio's speakers until I get myself an amp, no matter how notoriously crappy they may be. I couldn't be happier for only $200! There are some scratches on the surface of the keyboard, and the ATA flight case has clearly been used for years, but the playability of the KX-88 is perfect, and the keybed is pristine.

Any idea how great the condition of the one on ebay from about 2 weeks ago was? It went for something like 730 bucks plus a 90 shipping fee! :eek: At least if I don't end up wanting to use this beast, I know that I will be able to get back what I payed for it and probably then some.

What's the difference between this as a master controller vs a normal midi controller if this only has 1 midi in and out?

lol, I jumped all of the place in this topic, but I'm excited.:;)

Archived