::Suggestions please!:: Help on small home studio setup

blueoktober

• Members

Hi everyone, I am new here and I am sure it gets old being asked the same questions all the time, but I am gonna risk it. I love synths and synth music (34yo male) and have always been fascinated with play synthesizers.

Had an Ensoniq ESQ-1 and EPS16+ back in the day along with an Alesis HR-16. I had a great time just writing songs and amusing myself. Life got odd and I lost it all about a decade ago.

But now I am trying to come back.

I have a Triton Extreme 61key, Ensoniq ESQ-1, SR-16 drum, Yamaha CSX2, and the Korg Legacy collection.

Now what do I do?! lol

Basically I still want to record and play for myself only - eventually doing demo quality stuff. I would like to somehow plug in all the hardware synths and mix them (Maybe a Yamaha MG 10/2?).

And then hookd that up to some speakers.

But I would also like to incorporate the Korg Legacy collection into the mix.

So can anyone suggest how I can combine all the instruments together, mix them and make them have the abilty to record to CD?

On a budget? :)

Is it better to have it all go through a computer and maybe buy Cakewalk or Cubase and the mix it from the PC? Can all the instruments do that and work in harmony with the software synths?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. I am lost. I just want to put them all together and make some music for myself.

Thanks in advance!

Chad

• Members

Originally posted by blueoktober

I have a Triton Extreme 61key, Ensoniq ESQ-1, SR-16 drum, Yamaha CSX2, and the Korg Legacy collection.

Now what do I do?! lol

What's missing from this list:

- do you have a mixer?

- do you have an audio interface?

Basically I still want to record and play for myself only - eventually doing demo quality stuff. I would like to somehow plug in all the hardware synths and mix them (Maybe a Yamaha MG 10/2?).

So wait, how'd you listen to all of 'm at the same time now?

And then hook that up to some speakers.

This will be a more expensive and important part than you might think :).

But I would also like to incorporate the Korg Legacy collection into the mix.

So can anyone suggest how I can combine all the instruments together, mix them and make them have the abilty to record to CD?

On a budget?
:)

What's your budget?

Is it better to have it all go through a computer and maybe buy Cakewalk or Cubase and the mix it from the PC? Can all the instruments do that and work in harmony with the software synths?

Yes, they can. You put your hardware synthesizers in a mixer, pipe the outputs of that into the audio interface, then route the result (hardware + software) to your (amplifier and) monitor speakers (an amp is only needed if you have passive monitors).

Generally, getting the audio interface first will allow you to work with everything and to learn the ropes on blending hardware and software and the whole multitracking jazz. On the other hand, if you don't have a mixer yet, a big enough audio interface can act like one. Regarding monitors - those are very important; they take care of letting everything sound (pretty much) equally good on different playback systems. Your synths can be great, but what use are they if they never shine because the reference monitors are crud?

Anyway, if you've got an answer to these...

• Members

Wow- that was fast! Thanks!

**What's missing from this list:

- do you have a mixer?

- do you have an audio interface?**

I do not have either. I was looking at the Yamaha MG10/2 mixer... But honestly I am stupid at this and don't know if that's what I need to add 4 instruments and mix them. I am looking to spend $100-150 on a mixer.

I don't have an audio interface.

So wait, how'd you listen to all of 'm at the same time now?

Well, I have some crappy $200 equalizer that I only plug 2 instruments into at a time. Mainly the Triton and the Ensoniq.

What's your budget?

Cheap as possible. I will never do anything professional and only want to just amuse myself. I suppose $1000 for everything.

My only reference for Audio Interfaces is what I see at ZZounds and the usual retail outlets here in the US. I see some for about $300 - but will those integrate everything?

I suppose now I need a suggestion on a decent mixer and a decent audio interface. And I am assuming Cakewalk Sonar will do the trick as far as recording on the Mac, or do I even need Cake Walk since I am using the Triton's sequencer with midi to the other instruments?

Thanks so much for the help, I do really appreciate it!

• Members

Originally posted by blueoktober

On a budget?
:)

You owe it to yourself to check out the Yamaha AW16G! They're end of life now and you can get one new for $699. Perhaps the best investment I've ever made to 1) learn digital recording and 2) possibly get some local commercial work.

Archived