Waldorf Q or Access Virus keyboard

nubie

• Members

I have read some reviews on the Waldorf Q and the Access Virus. I can not decide on a Access product (virus) tabletop, rack, keyboard or Waldorf product (Q) tabletop, rack or keyboard. I like these synths for the ability to shape sounds and the depth of the sounds. I am having a hard time deciding on which one to choose because I can not find them in any music stores to listen to. Does anyone have some helpful thoughts.

• Members

Waldorf is no longer in business, so you'll only find a Q on places, like Ebay.

Access just released the TI. Since it just came out, most of the units went to filling preorders. You should be able to play it in a shop, soon. Tabletop is nice and so is the keyboard.

It's a new product, so you might want to hold off until some OS kinks are worked out. I'll most likely get one, next Spring of Summer.

I don't have the TI's Wave tables or Super Saw, otherwise, the engine of my Virus C makes a lot of the same sounds, and they are very good. You can hear it, here:

Virus C sounds

• Members

Originally posted by nubie

I like these synths for the ability to shape sounds and the depth of the sounds. Does anyone have some helpful thoughts.

Get a Nord G2X, don't look back.

I've got both the Q rack and the Virus C desktop. Since the TI is still under development I personally advise against getting one at this moment. If you're just in there for depth of soundshaping - I've got a Nord Micromodular too - then the Nord's a better choice since what you can do with it trumps both.

If you want to decide in terms of sonic character, it gets really hard - the Virus is still there, but the Q isn't anymore.

However, some things in your post omit the differences. The Q comes in a few versions:

Q keys

Q rack

Q+ (keys) - very rare.

Most of the engine can be found in its little brother, too:

Micro Q

Micro Q keys

Micro Q lite (only 12 voices)

Micro Q Omega (75 voices)

The Virus has a bunch of versions, too:

http://access-music.de/products_discontinued.php4

http://access-music.de/comparisonchart.php4

Anyway - what's your budget?

• Members

Thank you for your reply.

If I did get a Virus tabletop, rack or keyboard

which would you recommend. I only have the midiman radium controller and some vst's for sounds. No keyboards or efx gear yet?.

Do you think I would have trouble getting support or a current operating system for the Q if i bought it.

Thanks for your info

• Members

it's a tough decision that only you can make - we've all been there. All I can recommend is to try and find a large shop that you can A/B as many bds. as possible and don't be in a hurry, something will always come up. A few weeks ago I walked into a large store in North Toronto and there was a Waldorf Q so I finally got a chance to A/B it with many new bds. I quite liked it but not at the price they wanted for it and there is something about the Virus C sound that I personally love - others will differ, just depends on what you want, how much programming you are prepared to get into, budget etc.

• Members

Originally posted by nubie

If I did get a Virus tabletop, rack or keyboard

which would you recommend. I only have the midiman radium controller and some vst's for sounds. .........................................Do you think I would have trouble getting support or a current operating system for the Q if i bought it.

Thanks for your info

the virus has a great feeling keyboard on it. a world of difference from your radium.

if you get a B or a C, the knobs send CC's, but they aren't assignable. i'm pretty sure the new TI allows you to assign them.

the rack doesn't have as many knobs on it as the tabletop, so it may be a bit harder to program, but they both came with a somewhat buggy editing program.

there's also the indigo line, which has a shorter keyboard than the full size. the indigo goes good with a laptop/softsynth setup because of its size.

it depends on what you want, but i really like the 61 key board.

waldorf has been out of business for a while now, so any support or OS's you'd get would come from user supported sites - i know i've seen a least one site that had the OS's and some sounds, but i don't think i have it bookmarked.

whenever anyone can't decide between these 2, i always say they should get some form of both.

you can get an access virus A or B desktop and a waldorf micro-q for a very reasonable amount of money.

if it's too much money right away, get one and learn it while you save for and keep an eye out for the other one.

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

waldorf has been out of business for a while now, so any support or OS's you'd get would come from user supported sites - i know i've seen a least one site that had the OS's and some sounds, but i don't think i have it bookmarked.

The entire Waldorf FTP site is mirrored at www.electro-music.com

so there is no problems getting the OS's for the Q series...

• Members

Originally posted by Coquito

How about for the Money?

which is a better buy?

Virus, no question, really. The B is simply more in bang for the buck (realistic assumption that you will never go to the core of the modmatrix of the Q).

Originally posted by myshkin
NOt in the market for any more synths but how would you compare the sound of Waldorf to Nord or Access, both of which I have?

Waldorf's more like Nord, only a bit more refined and bright, with more bottom end. YMMV with EQ and tubes. My Nord is a Micromodular so I don't know how the G2 or NL3 would hold up.

Archived