Ensoniq!

tuco

• Members

My friend has a TS-10 and says it is the most user-friendly OS ever put on a workstation. He has tried many workstations since then and hasn't found any near as good and hangs onto his TS-10. Of course he's running into bottlenecks like floppy disks and zero support.

He's updated to a Motif now and is still learning that board, but still has his TS-10.

My main complaint about Ensoniq is I've never heard a good piano sample out of ANY Ensoniq.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyWa

My VFX-SD is still my favorite keyboard,

The poly-aftertouch alone makes them well worth having. Even if all of it's internal sounds go tits up, it is invaluable as a controller.

I use it in one instance on a string patch. Adding that random vibrato to varying individual notes in a chord just brings the sound to life.

The same would work well with a flute patch. On a simple chord, you can add some vibrato to the root of the chord, but leave the 3rd and the 5th without vibrato. The vibratos AREN'T in sync! Or add the flute's split tone to the root, but not the 3rd and 5th.

Very nice. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ummm... E-MU was acquired by Creative Labs. So they're really not the ones doing the acquiring (or messing up).

I know who owns them. But they're a division none the less, or they were at one time, which would be the time I was referring to.

• Members

My VFX is still working perfectly after doing the battery + holder surgery :D

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1033756&perpage=20&highlight=vfx&pagenumber=2

Has a weird but lovely clicky keyboard which i like, but it is annoying if you are playing though headphones, its quite noticable in the background.

• Members

Originally posted by flat earth

Has a weird but lovely clicky keyboard which i like, but it is annoying if you are playing though headphones, its quite noticable in the background.

I like the Ensoniq stuff, but THAT used to drive me up the wall! :mad:

• Members

Not only did Waveboy make a resonant filter disk, but several other great additions.

The most important for me was the parallel effects disk. That is a weakness of that unit and by Waveboys addition (pretty creative) there was a work-around for additional effects.

Another reason that made the Ensoniq VFX-SDII and other keyboards around that time was the huge LCD screen. By the time the ASR-10 was released, Im told the maker for those displays went out of business.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by elsongs

Not true...A company called Waveboy released an aftermarket resonant filter effect for the EPS-16 and ASR-10.

that's true, but the key word is "aftermarket". it would have been nice if it were there from the jump, or at least eventually offered by ensoniq.

it's a small tradeoff, though - i actually like the filters on the eps 16+ {i know, it's not the asr-10}, and the ensoniq/waveboy relationship was a prescient proof of concept: digital rocks. if you need a new filter, program one. if you want to repurpose your ensoniq sampler for gnarly fx, write a new OS, call it soniq demolition, and then sell it relatively cheaply online.

everyone seems to agree that we're in the midst of a renaissance of analogue gear, but i think we're doing really well on the digital side, as well. licensing disparities notwithstanding, your chameleons, your v-synths and your oases suggest radical and far-reaching possibilities.

i only have waveboy's soniqdemolition disk. how do the other disks fare?

Archived