Help! My sustain pedal works backwards.

zandr32

• Members

Hi, I'm Alex the newbie!

I have an old Roland Juno 2 that I use next to my drum station in my personal studio. I use it as a controller of a Boss DS-330. I found a Ensonig Model FSW-1 momentary or sustain switch laying around and tried to use it in the Juno but, it works backwards. When you push the pedal down the note stops and when you lift your foot from the pedal it sustains.

My question is........do I need to order a "Roland" sustain pedal or, is there something I can do to fix this problem?

Please don't tell me to buy another keyboard.

I have two different stations setup in my studio. One is my vocal, mixing, and guitar station. The other is drums and a keyboard. Both have a computer that's networked together. I can't seem to configure everything where it's all in one place. Probably to much info. Just didn't want anyone thinking that I like using the Juno. My money has gone to other areas of the studio and I'm skimping here!

I am not a keyboard player. I just use it to sequence with. This is why I can't justify buying a better keyboard. That said, I do have a bunch of great soft synths, I just need my pedal to work properly.

thanks very much for your time! Alex........

• Members

The newer keyboards 'look' at the pedal on power-up and change it's setup with software. Most older ones don't even give you a menu option to change it manually. A standard sustain pedal uses a N.O. (normally open) switch that completes the circuit when you push the pedal. Some machines need a N.C. (normally closed) switch that opens when you push it. If you have a multi-meter or continuity tester you can check to see what yours

is - then go on eBay and buy the other one. Usually a cheap one can be had for around $5 used. Or, if you can take the switch out of the pedal you can take it to an electronics store and match it up to a the one you need. In rare instances the switch will have an extra set of contacts on it that work opposite of the ones connected. Again you can check that with a meter. If it does, all you need to do is unsolder the connections and move them.

• Members

I haven't had a chance to do the other things suggested yet but, 0n the subject of unsoldering the connections and moving them, would cutting the wire and turning the two around do the same thing? In effect, change the polarity? Just guessing!

• Members

Originally posted by zandr32

I haven't had a chance to do the other things suggested yet but, 0n the subject of unsoldering the connections and moving them, would cutting the wire and turning the two around do the same thing? In effect, change the polarity? Just guessing!

No. That would just change the direction the signal flowed through the switch, but the switch would still be open when you wanted it to be closed and visa versa.

• Members

thanks to all who replied....I finally got it to work. Opening the box to check the switch made me see exactly what was going on. Thanks again!

Here's what was happening for those of you who might be trying to fix the same problem.

When I open the pedal, I found that when push down, the top part of the pedal would push down on a wire, which appeared to be a fairly large piano string or guitar string (very flexible), causing it to touch a metal post, thus completing the circuit.

I moved the wire to a position where it would be touching the post while the pedal was up then, when pushed down the top part of the pedal makes the wire break contact with the metal post, thus breaking the circuit.

To sum it up........In the Roland Juno 2,

1. The circuit has to be broken in order for it to be sustained or, note hold on.

2. The circuit has to be completed in order to make it "NOT" sustain.

• Members

Thanks jchas! I live way out in a remote part of southwest Virginia. Everything has to be ordered and shipped here. We have no real music stores to speak of. You just saved me 2 or 3 days of waiting and up $30.00 on a new pedal.

Most of my family are hillbillies and don't understand me having the internet much less spending so much time on it. But, I have to say that it's forums such as this one that makes me a genius to most of my friends. Alex:thu:

Archived