Alesis Fusion 8HD Review

eximious

• Members

Hey guys,

I was here not so long ago as a synth newb looking for my first synth. I'm still a newbie, but now I have a synth and am making pretty good inroads on everything that lies ahead. I bought the Alesis Fusion 8HD (other contedersn were Triton LE, S90 ES, and RD700SX). As far as I know, not too many people have Fusions yet, let alone here at Harmony Central so hopefully I can be your source of info for Alesis' newest board.

Prices / Features:

The Fusion 8HD will set you back somewhere between $1700-$2000 (I got a mint demo for a steal, but that story is for another day). It has fully weighted keys (which are pretty light actually, the opposite of the RD 700 SX). It comes with a 40 gb internal HD, sampler with 8 analog inputs, sequencer, and four forms of synthesis (which have not been truly fleshed out yet). Those four forms are virtual analog, physical modelling, FM, and traditional samples.

The Physical Side

The Fusion is quite the sexy machine to look at in my humble opinion. It has four knobs, a pitch bend wheel, an assignable wheel (preset to tremolo), a decent-sized screen, soft touch buttons, and the standard wheel + buttons navigation system. In the dark, she glows orange and blue.

As for the keys, they are relatively light, certainly lighter than a regular piano. If you are an avid pianist you will definitely notice a difference, but if you prefer organs it'll probably be a godsend for you.

She weighs in at around 54 lbs, which isn't anything to scoff at. Still, I've found her relatively easy to move around. That said, I will invest in a good rolling case down the line.

Programs and Oscillators

First, the piano. I found it to be above average. However, it is lacking in upper-forte ranges. It's loudest sample is what I would consider to be middle-forte (not "mezzoforte", but just average forte). Some of my classical pieces require ff or fff, so that is a slight drawback. We'll see if Alesis responds when I haggle them about this range limitation. If you need to listen to some samples of the piano, fusionsynth.com has one or two up.

The "physical modelling" has only been applied for woodwind instruments (flute, clarinet, etc.) Actually, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm pretty pleased. The "ebony flute" is one of my favorite programs on the Fusion and while I do not have too much to compare it to, it sounds good enought to do light solo work with.

The synths and pads sound great. That said, I haven't tinkered with the virtual analog too much yet. I also haven't tinkered with the FM.

One of my concerns was that the Fusion had sub-par programs at release. However, as the new OS have come out, I have noticed substantial improvements in a number of programs (especially ethnic instruments). Also, most of the OS updates have come with new programs or entire banks of programs, which is a welcome treat. While we're on that note...

OS Updates and Bugs

The first few OS were riddled with bugs. My Fusion right now has a boot-up bug that I can fix only by sending her back to Alesis. If you buy a Fusion, have a compact flash card at the ready immediately to update your sexy new synth.

Bugs aside, I've been impressed with the OS updates. They've been rolling out every week or two. I've had my Fusion for about two weeks, and I've updated her three times. Each new OS brings bug fixes and new features. I thought Alesis' updates might dwindle... but I've been pleasantly surprised. The newest update allows four insert effects per program (allowing these to be linked as well), four oscillators per sampled algorithm and gives control of the curves of envelopes in each stage of ADSR.

Under the Hood

As a new synthesist, I was a little worried about pressing that magic "edit" button that takes you to the true synthesizing power of the Fusion. I was pretty surprised by how easy so many things were. I could manipulate the envelopes, basic insert effect levels, fine tuning, and a plethora of other stuff I really hadn't seen before. Of course, I'm seeing a learning curve in other more advanced functions, so I'll keep you all updated about that.

Concerning the sampler / sequencer, I heard there were some bugs in the early OS but I'm not sure if they've been fixed or not yet. I haven't used either feature yet, so I don't have personal experience with them yet.

Samples

I plan to get a Mobilepre over Christmas so I can upload my own samples of the Fusion to the web. I'll be sure to bump this up at that time.

Questions?

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them my way and I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities.

-Eximious

• Members

How are the MIDI features?

How many zones can the keyboard be split into?

Is it easy (possible) to set different MIDI channels to different zones to allow for seamless control of external devices?

And how about that story for another day on how you got a mint demo for a steal? ;)

• Members

I see they've just released another OS update allowing you to chain insert effects and giving you 4 oscillators per patch. Could you make some comparative statements regarding the other boards you tried - Triton LE, S90 ES, and RD700SX - and the Fusion. Thanks,

Peter

• Members

Originally posted by Muz

How are the MIDI features?

How many zones can the keyboard be split into?

Is it easy (possible) to set different MIDI channels to different zones to allow for seamless control of external devices?

And how about that story for another day on how you got a mint demo for a steal?
;)

I don't have a MIDI adapter or any other rack modules to control with the Fusion, so I can't comment on the MIDI features right now.

As for zones, any given mix can have 16 parts. You can split and/or layer them to your heart's content. However, any given part of the 16 must have a linear range on the keyboard. You can't make one program span one high octave and one low octave. To do that, you would need to add the program twice and set each part's range to your liking.

As for OS 1.20, I haven't had too much time recently to play around with its updates like the 4 insert effects. Unfortunately, I also didn't really spend much time "under the hood" of the Korg (I didn't spend too much time with the Roland because the keys were a little too heavy for my liking). I also didn't get much time with the Yamaha because the S90 ES was in recall while I was shopping around.

Though I haven't done this sort of thing, I'm not exactly a veteran. If you're willing Niacin, I'd recommend heading over to the Fusion boards here and posting your question there.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Eximious

• Members

Thanks for the review, Eximious. Was very detailed, especially considering you're somewhat new to synths. I had been toying with the idea of replacing my Kurzweil PC88, Yamaha EX-5, and Nord Lead with a Fusion, leaving my stage rig with a compact Fusion and Nord Electro. Thanks again!

• Members

Thanks Eximious. I visit the Fusion forum each week or two but there's not much posting, few people seem to have done any sequencing, sampling or recording, and someone called Donnell keeps on ranting about how good this thing is gonna be any day now regardless of the poster's question. I get the impression most posters are relative newbies, which is not in itself good or bad, but the information-noise ratio is not too good.

Welcome to this forum, thanks again for the review. Look forward to hearing some samples of your work when you get them up.

Cheers,

Peter

• Members

Heh heh, yeah, Donnell certainly likes his Fusion... :p

I got a little time with the 4 effects tonight and I'm pretty darn satisfied. I was able to flesh out an organ I've been working on nicely. I used a tube overdrive and some rotary effects to come up with a pretty good product for a few songs I'm thinking of. Its envelope is fine, but I might look at the filters tomorrow. I think a few more filters were added in this update, so I'll have to check them out.

I can't wait to try the four effects on more garage / synthy types of sounds. Like I said, I'll try to post some short samples after Christmas break so that you all can hear what some of the programs / chained effects sound like.

I'll keep you all updated.

Eximious

• Members

Originally posted by eximious

She weighs in at around 54 lbs, which isn't anything to scoff at. Still, I've found her relatively easy to move around. That said, I will invest in a good rolling case down the line.

I once owned an Ensoniq ASR-10 keyboard and used it for live gigs. It was about 50lbs. Mind you, the ASR-10 only had 61 keys (unweighted), and did not have an internal hard drive. So the Fusion8 for an 88-key workstation is rather featherwieght in comparison.

• Members

Looks like Alesis has kicked things up a notch with its latest updates.

If I hadn't bought my Motif ES the 6HD would be a strong contender.

Happy with the MO ES as it has so many great sounds, but I do wish it other synthesis abilities (or just better PLG cards available - I'll settle for a DX card though).

• Members

While I can't afford it, I would love to know if the Fusion cross-pollinates synthesis styles... that is, could you mix VA, PM, FM and/or Sampled Oscillators in the same patch?

How does that all work?

I need to go and try one out again, didn't have too much time last time I was at the store, people were literally BANGING on keyboards.. all like 20 of them... they had to send a sales rep in several times to tell them to shut up.. ugh...

• Members

Nice review, Eximious!

Les, I also liked your review specifically because of the synth engine details.

Sadly, a lot of folks judge a synth by running through a bank of presets and forming an opinion from there, which is a HUGE mistake in the case of the Fusion, as the potential of this "work in progress" is amazing.

A lot of us are guilty of that. I auditioned the Fusion, twice, but I gave it the same amount of time as most of the other latest Roland, Korg & Yamaha synths. I thought the sample set was lagging, but at least it can be updated.

there have been a number of improvements, with more coming very soon.

As stated in both of your reviews. I wouldn't mind checking out the new programs.

REGARDING THE FM SYNTH:

Multiple waveforms for each oscillator, including noise, which is *very* useful.

The Yamaha SY77 and 99 could do this, along with sample oscillator input. Good to see multi-waveform and noise on the Fusion oscillators, though.

You could assign 6 different LFO's to each of the six oscillators and suddenly you're in a world of FM madness or with a little finesse, "fatness", which isn't usually associated with FM.

Now, that's cool! SYs couldn't do that.

REGARDING THE VA:

Basically, you've got 3 OSC's, 8 EG's, 8 LFO's and 5 filter types, with 2, 4, 6, and 8 pole variations of each.

8 poles? Nice and steep.

The only thing I didn't like about the VA engine is that you can use only one filter in the signal path.

That was my chief complaint, especially since the Ion had two. That would be a serious update, if Alesis added another.

There's one other keyboard I'm considering which has the programming "tweakability" depth I want. I'm going to have to get back with the Fusion and import some stuff from various sample libraries before I finally make up my mind.

So, are you going to let the cat out of the bag? Hints? Is it a VA?

• Members

Originally posted by LesMizzell

You might wish to read the review I posted on the Fusion forums a week or two ago (before the last OS update though...) - I get into the different synthesis types a little more than any of the other reviews I've read:

Review on Alesis Forums

Great review I must say.

Made for some very good reading and seemed pretty well balanced overall :thu: .

• Members

Good review. For me, the pluses of the unit are the fact that you have a few different "engines" under the hood AND a hard drive to boot. Nice. But, I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's hard to get hyped about something that the programmers couldn't get "excited" about. Sure, the point everyone makes about it is to make your own, but how 'bout inspire me with some great sounds. You walk up and start messing around with a Nord or something from Novation, and you think, "wow, this sounds great" and immediately you get the urge to start making sounds because you actually HEAR the possibilites, and not read them on a spec sheet. You don't get that from the Fusion. You just get the specs.

The main problem is that the ROM section is weak. And I'm not talking about the programs/presets, I'm talking about the overall quality of the source samples. They just aren't that good. What do you expect me to do with that? Is that a good way to send your flagship product to market? Your saving grace is that you can put your own samples in it. I love that, but it's not selling it for me. If that's the case, I'll just get a sampler. Even the other sections aren't exactly home runs. If I want another VA, I'll get the Micron or Ion. Physical Modelling? Great idea, but not a selling point. FM? Never did it for me. BUT, I'd take it if they delivered on all angles.

The point of this keyboard is that you get all these technologies under one roof, but what good is that if they're just average? Last I checked they still haven't delivered on the 24-bit promise. Sorry, but when you advertise something like that, that's one of the things that should be available from the door, not as an update. Imagine buying a Logic and they tell you that it has automation and 24-bit depth, but then you get it and they tell you it's coming sometime down the line. As I've said over on the Fusion forum and other forums, I can't buy on promises. I've walked that road before.

Alesis, Roland, and Akai are three companies who make products that I love the most. And like the MV8000, I really, really wanted to love the Fusion, and I so hyped up the "possibilities" before it came out. Then it hit, and I was sorely let down. Can it be good and redeem itself? Sure, I hope it does. Right now it's just average sounding engines under a less than desirable interface. It's an Accord trying to say it's better than the top offerings from Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti, and it's not.

Oh, and I'm glad Donnell loves it. Good for him. His posts make me laugh, too. ;)

Peace

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I think the Fusion is "close to greatness" if they just improved some of the ROM (such as strings) and improved the OS via things like allowing more than 4 insert effects, adding pattern-based sequencing, dual filters possible in the VA section, another physical model or two (e.g. string model), and adding the CD burning as originally promised, etc. OS 1.2 sure did improve things beyond the initial release, and I think if the next OS improves things beyond OS 1.2 as much as the jump from 1.0 to 1.2 did, then the Fusion will finally have "arrived" as a top contender workstation. Here's hoping Alesis does this ASAP, as I'm just waiting for the next substantial OS to finally place an order! :D

Archived