What Is Your Favourite Christmas Keyboard/Synth Riff!?

Palaver

• Members

Dear Forum Members,

I would like to say Happy Holidays to everyone on here! I also wish everyone a Happy New Year, and I really appreciate all the help I've received just by coming onto the site. I wanted to say a big 'HELLO' and I can't wait for a whole new year of GAS, and other things to burn my money on (because of you people).

Yes, I am a newb, and I will have plenty of more 'on-topic' questions, but what is your favourite Christmas tune? And to be more specific, what is your favourite keyboard 'riff' in a Christmas tune?

Personally, I would have to go with Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney (I am not sure if it's a solo effort or the Beatles), but I LOVE that sound! What kind of 'keys' instrument is making that 'delayed' synthesized sound?

I love Christmas, and the holidays, and I hope it's going well for all. Thanks for everything. Other holiday favourites for me would include New York Christmas by Rob Thomas, even though I've never been a fan of his band or his solo efforts. I also enjoy Band Aid's Let Them Know It's Christmas Time (obviously the old school version!).

Drink up and be merry,

Phil (wishing you a happy holidays from Newfoundland!)

• Members
Originally posted by Fear My Potato

But I always prefer the old school Christmas tunes from the fifties, I love it for the vocals and how pure things seemed then.

+1 for sure. However, Keith Emerson's Christmas CD is damn good. I love becoming reacquainted with it around this time of year..........

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

I always liked the descending progression of Carol of the Bells

merry xmas

Transiberian Orchestra's combination of Carol of the Bells and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen on their piece, Christmas Eve in Sarejevo, is my all time favorite.

Also like the Kinks song, Father Christmas (give us some money).

• Members

Kinks - Father Christmas

Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby, Come on Home)

John Mellencamp - I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas

Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas

Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus and Merry Christmas, Baby

Chuck Berry - Run Run Rudolph

The 'Peanuts" Music

I could go on and on....

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Holy old thread resurrection Batman! :p

Personally, I would have to go with
Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time
by Paul McCartney (I am not sure if it's a solo effort or the Beatles), but I LOVE that sound! What kind of 'keys' instrument is making that 'delayed' synthesized sound?

That was a Prophet-5. Somehow they gated the delay so the echo of the prior chord would cut out when the next chord was played. The pad was done on a CS80.

Do they know its christmas? has to be one of the greatest synth riffs ever beyond the Christmas lexicon...

Cheesy but fun. You'd think they would have loaded better patches into their DX7.

• Members

Transiberian Orchestra's combination of Carol of the Bells and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen on their piece, Christmas Eve in Sarejevo, is my all time favorite.

:thu: I have to learn that for Christmas Eve....the worship band I'm in at church is doing it as a prelude for the candlelight service...fasten your seat belts!

Archived