Peavey DPM C8 - What's it like?

Jez

• Members

I'm looking at picking one up cheap as a backup weighted controller, or something to take to gigs where it's likely to get bashed, kinda as a backup... they seem alright, I don't need loads of advanced controller functions but any opinions on the quality of keys and build would be appreciated. Most of the stuff I've read seems to say they're good. Any reasons not to get one? I know they're heavy, I don't care about the weight.

cheers :)

• Members

Originally posted by mate_stubb

I never owned one, but I played them in the stores back in the day when they were the new thing.

Very nice feel if I recall, sturdy as hell.

I'm with Moe on this one. I remember playing one in the early 90's in the store as well - I thought it felt great.

Plus, if memory serves, there's this really cheesy graphic of Hartley Peavey in the boot screen when you power the thing up...that's gotta be worth the price of admission alone... :D

dB

• Members

Originally posted by Jez

I'm looking at picking one up cheap as a backup weighted controller, or something to take to gigs where it's likely to get bashed, kinda as a backup...

I try to stay away from gigs where my gear is "likely to get bashed..." :p:D

• Members

Go for it if the price is right, but I can only advise a carefull inspection. I've had a c8p for about 7 years and it has finaly bit the dust. Most problems are probably my fault.

I would leave it in the truck, and it hit the ground a few times. This is a heavy board (80 lbs) in a case and has a great action. Mine started having problems a couple of years ago with lead weights breaking free from the

plastic holders which retained them. This resulted in lead weights crashing arround inside the keybed. This would cause keys to jam, and I would have to open the board up and dump them out. Then the display lamp quit, and now I get phantom notes sounding, making the board useless. If you can inspect the C8 before purchase, tip it up on it's side and listen for anything loose, and check for "floppy" keys (no lead weights). I loved mine, to many $$ to fix now. I would love to find a board built like the old Yamaha KX88.Good luck!

Archived