Keyboard aftertouch....is it necessary?

Ryst

• Members

On the subject of keyboards that have poly aftertouch capabilities, I'm lucky to have 2 - the General Music S2 (Turbo), and the Ensoniq TS10. It's great to have these boards still 100% since no one offers poly aftertouch in a modern workstation anymore (that I'm aware of, anyway).

• Members

I have an Ensoniq TS-10 that sends poly aftertouch. I'm thinking about picking up a rack unit that will respond to it polyphonically. Some synths will recognize poly at, but respond as if it's channel pressure, like the FS1R, iirc.

Other than the above couple mentions, any ideas? I'm looking to go cheap.

• Members

I won't buy a keyboard without AT. That was excusable in 1986, but not now. The technology has been around for quite some time. You can't tell us it hasn't been refined and manufactured in a way that is more cost effective by now.

To go further, I think it's a disgrace that Poly AT is the exception and not the norm. This is simply the majors resting on their laurels and thinking it's "good enough." Perhaps we haven't spoken this opinion loud enough? In a world of "give me more knobs and things to tweeak" you would THINK it's a given.

I can't be the only one who has played a patch and would like to push aftertouch on JUST the pad and not the bass without having to specifically program it to do so!

Also, WHY dont' we have aftertouch curves like velocity? I want this on the module AND the controller end. Some modules repond to aftertouch as soon as I wiggle my finger and barely touch it. (And since it's CHANNEL AT it goes across the whole damn thing) Others I have to lean into practically to get a response. I'd like to curtail these INSTRUMENTS to ME, not have to re-develop a technique for every one!

• Members

Originally posted by NuSkoolTone

I can't be the only one who has played a patch and would like to push aftertouch on JUST the pad and not the bass without having to specifically program it to do so!

Keep in mind that keyboard playing is a dying art. Most keyboard owners use a mouse.

• Members

Originally posted by Crawling Wind

I have an Ensoniq TS-10 that sends poly aftertouch. I'm thinking about picking up a rack unit that will respond to it polyphonically. Some synths will recognize poly at, but respond as if it's channel pressure, like the FS1R, iirc.

Responding to polyaftertouch as if it were channel aftertouch. I wasn't aware of this problem with the FS1R, but Kontack2 appears to share it. So now I cannot check the MIDI charts for instruments to determine whether they will respond properly to polypresssure. Does anyone know if the Korg Oasys responds to poly-AT polyphonically or as if it were channel AT?

AFAIK, there are no conventional-style keyboards made now with Poly-AT. That Thumber seems like a good idea, but maybe too inexpensive to be reliable (or am I too cynical?). Starr Labs makes a number of guitar-style and other styles of keyboards with Poly-AT, but $$.

• Members

The MIDIboard has aftertouch/pressure curves as well.

Originally posted by paostby

Keep in mind that keyboard
playing
is a dying art. Most keyboard owners use a mouse.

Yep, unfortunately, it seems you're right.

I guess they'll have to wait for poly AT mice. :)

• Members

playing

I don't see how not using AT implies that a person is a data-entry, non-keyboard player. Most piano players I know are great keyboardists, but their pianos don't have AT. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Crawling Wind

That is a big problem- I have become somewhat wary of MIDI implementation charts with regard to PolyAT.

I do know from experience that the Roland XV synths do respond appropriately to PolyAT- I had both an XV-3080 and an XV-1010 and it worked fine. The newer Fantom XR probably does also. The Yamaha EX5R is listed as OK with PolyAT, but I have no direct experience. As far as I can tell, everything that came after it (CS6R, Motifs, etc.) do not. Not sure about any of the Korg stuff, but it is there on the MIDI implementation charts.....

The PEK/PER both respond to PolyAT, and it is done in a pretty cool way: All you need to do is program "Pressure" as a modulation source, and it wil recognize Poly vs Channel AT and respond appropriately.

As far as I can tell, many of the newer VA synths (Access Virus, Nord Leads, etc.) do NOT respond to PolyAT, and in fact use these messages for other functions.

Many Softsynths DO respond to PolyAT- as well as all the Logic plugins. Of course the CS-80V does- wouldn't that be piss-poor if it didn't :freak: ? At least with softsynths it should be easy to implement if someone asks for it.

• Members

Originally posted by ClifAnd2k

Responding to polyaftertouch as if it were channel aftertouch. I wasn't aware of this problem with the FS1R, but Kontack2 appears to share it. So now I cannot check the MIDI charts for instruments to determine whether they will respond properly to polypresssure. Does anyone know if the Korg Oasys responds to poly-AT polyphonically or as if it were channel AT?

Yes, the OASYS responds to Poly Aftertouch per-note, not per-channel.

My guess is that other current Korg keyboards do so as well...

- Dan

• Members

I think Ensoniq patented it at some point, but Kurzweil and Yamaha had "prior art" so they should be able to make a new controller. I got excited by a rumor of new Yamaha controller at NAMM and pictured a 2006 KX-88 with poly aftertouch, but it was not to be.

• Members

playing

As a matter of fact, this is exactly what some people said when MIDI came out, but instead of "mouse" they used term "sequencer". As you can see, people still "play" keyboards. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

As a matter of fact, this is exactly what some people said when MIDI came out, but instead of "mouse" they used term "sequencer". As you can see, people still "play" keyboards.
;)

People didn't say that. They said Sequencers will lead to many people not playing, not MIDI. And they were right.

Computers are leading further to more people not playing, but it's the arps and loops and sequencers, not the computer itself causing it.

And, less and less people are actually playing.

Archived