Does anyone care about the Yamaha MO8/6?

nolights

• Members

After a little flurry of interest, there seems to be a collective yawn about these boards. Re-packaging an existing product, yadda yadda.

I've got a Motif8ES in my studio, but it's just too heavy and too huge to transport to gigs and up and down rickety stairs. So I've been gigging with an S-90 (and Nord Electro61). I like the Yammy keybed and need all the standard ROMpler sounds to cover the bases in my funk/classic rock band (I'm the string section, the horn section - king of the splits). I've been looking at the MO8 as a kind of upgrade - better soundset, easier real-time control, more Master slots - even 4 pounds lighter. I lose aftertouch - but I don't use it much. And I can use my S-90 case.

The thing is, I'm looking at this possible purchase without a lot of passion. It just seems to make sense. Practical. Is this the synth equivalent of a Buick?

What's wrong, doctor?

• Members

I would suggest demoing one in person, since the MO6/MO8 have a different keybed than the Motif and S-90 keyboards.

I wouldn't necessarily expect a tremendous amount of excitement about a value version of a manufacturer's products, given most of the excitement was focused on the original version.

That doesn't mean these value versions aren't good values -- they usually are.

• Members

I was actually thinking the same thing when the MO8 was first announced. Same size as the S90, so it fits in the case - probably the main reason I did not upgrade to the S90ES. The MO8 keyboards is supposed to be the same action as the S90 minus aftertouch. It has the ES sounds, larger memory and some sequencing features. It also has more controllers.

However, what holds me back is no increased polyphony, lack of aftertouch and the wall wart...along with no PLG expansion slots. It seems to be a lot to pay for largely duplicative features and some trade-offs. Especially since the value of used S90s is going down (assuming you would sell your S90). I think a better choice, if you want the sounds, is to add an ES Rack to your S90 or consider the S90ES.

Right now, I'm pleased as punch with my S90 Classic. What I ask myself is how would anything different change my sound dramatically for the gigs that I do. The answer is the S90 rocks the house and there are still some sounds in that machine I have not fully explored. So I really don't need anything more than this.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

You're right, Eric. I'm still loving my S-90 - it sounds great live, and I've got the 8ES for studio stuff, where you can actually hear the difference in the added soundset. I guess I'm just looking for a way to get that great Yamaha keyboard feel and sounds in a small/lighter package (your fictional S-76ES)... and I'm disappointed that Yamaha isn't headed that way. I guess I should try out the Fatar 76-key hammer-action keyboard and see if I like it OK - and then add an ES Rack.

The Nord Stage 76 with a MO6, or Motif6ES?

Or just keep on doing what I'm doing and concentrate on playing better!

• Members

Not everyone is interested in Sampling. The ES series has a lot of great sounds on it out of the box. I bought a ES8 over a year ago, and I plan on using the sampler, but that may not be the case for everyone. If the Mo Lite has what you need, it sounds like a bargain.

Mike T.

• Members

True. I think it's ideal for a gigging board, but that's half the audience for it. Even still, a sample playback engine (a la the 5080) would have been perfect for the fairly decent number of people who have a pretty good sized sample library and wouldn't mind adding an assortment of those sounds for their set. I would gladly trade the sequencer for sample playback. Heck, just make the Rack into a keyboard (i.e. no sampler, no sequencer...just the sounds, folks). I'm in the minority, perhaps, but I wish some manufacturer would do that to a flagship.

Peace

• Members

If you want the Sampler, that's where the big brother Motif ES comes in, along with a ton of other features. That was my choice, but I can see where there might be a good size market for a scaled down Motif ES at a lower price.

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by Miket156

If you want the Sampler, that's where the big brother Motif ES comes in, along with a ton of other features.

Mike T.

I know what you're saying, and I'm betting that that's the angle Yammie's taking. However, it's $800 more to get that sampler (with the other stuff, too, of course). To me, a budget/lite machine doesn't take away a major feature. Everybody else is making the sampler available at the MO's price range. I'm just curious as to why it's not in the MO.

Peace

• Members

Here's something I copied over MusicPlayer.com, which was posted on this topic by our old buddy Mike Martin of Yamaha:

The Motif ES has more "patches" or what Yamaha calls "voices". The waveROM is identical (and so is the piano).

Differences in MO'series

- No PLG Expansion capability

- No Sampling

- No mLAN/Firewire Expansion capability

- No Ribbon Controller

- No Breath Controller Input

- No Aftertouch

- 3 insert effects instead of 8

- No Smart Media Storage

- Stereo Digital Output standard

- 512 Preset Voices (756 on ES), 256 User Voices

So it's not "just" the sampler that you'd pay about 800 bucks more for. For me, the sequencer, sampler, aftertouch, Smartmedia cards, and stereo out are mandatory, the 8 insert effects are necessary for great sequences (especially if you use as many guitar patches as I do), the breath controller, PLG expansion capability are nice extras. All in all, the ES8 is a complete workstation, at least for me.

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by nolights

You're right, Eric. I'm still loving my S-90 - it sounds great live, and I've got the 8ES for studio stuff, where you can actually hear the difference in the added soundset. I guess I'm just looking for a way to get that great Yamaha keyboard feel and sounds in a small/lighter package (your fictional S-76ES)... and I'm disappointed that Yamaha isn't headed that way. I guess I should try out the Fatar 76-key hammer-action keyboard and see if I like it OK - and then add an ES Rack.

The Nord Stage 76 with a MO6, or Motif6ES?

Or just keep on doing what I'm doing and concentrate on playing better!

eric, nolights -

If you guys were starting from scratch today - ie, you do NOT have an S90 ("classic") or a Motif 8 that's too big to drag around to gigs, ie - you have NO Yamaha 88key kybds. (like me - I don't) - what would you go for, in a giggable 88key machine? Probably the S90ES right?

• Members

I think it all depends on your needs. I traded up fom the Motif to the Motif ES when the latter first came out. I use it as a gig board and sometimes as a controller as well. At the time I was just getting into softsynths and sampling with software, but I think if I had to do it right now I'd probably at least consider the Mo instead. Mainly, I'd go try 'em all out and see which best fits my system.

I never use the sampler in it any more, and at least half the time if not more, my ES is merely controlling softsynths / samplers, even in my live play setup. A dedicated controller would certainly be better for me in a lot of ways, but.. I kept the ES mainly because.. although I've never had any issues to date, I know that computers and software can be buggy at times, so if the laptop and softsynths ever did crap out at an inopportune time ( which is always when they do.. right ? ) , I feel very comfortable knowing I can finish any set with the ES itself.

AJ

• Members

If you are looking to shave poundage off the stage rig, this might be worth considering:

- CME VX8 88-Note Controller (how soon and how much)

- Yamaha MOTIF ES Rack

- Nord Electro 2 Rack or Keyboard

- Alesis ION if ya wanna VA or go with the NE2 Rack and

need a second tier board

- Get a rack case and throw in a Receptor for your VST's!

Seems like it could be the best of ALL worlds ... hmmm?

:thu::wave:

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

eric, nolights -

If you guys were starting from scratch today - ie, you do NOT have an S90 ("classic") or a Motif 8 that's too big to drag around to gigs, ie - you have NO Yamaha 88key kybds. (like me - I don't) - what would you go for, in a giggable 88key machine? Probably the S90ES right?

GigMan,

If someone broke into my car and stole my gig rig (S90 Classic + Electro 61), I would immediately replace it with an S90ES + Electro 61. The only other rig I would consider is the Stage 76 + Motif ES6 or something like that. But if I'm sticking with Yamaha, the S90 and S90ES do a heck of a lot for a fair price and in my opinion, the action is unparalleled for a gigging keyboard.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Aye -

Pretty much the answer I expected, Eric. :D

That is a killer rig, the S90 + NordElectro - but where do you get electronic/synth type sounds?

I mean, you've got authentic pianos, wurlie, rhodes & organ but what if the band launches into something where you need cheesy 80's synth sounds or something. Is that too contained in the mighty S90? :confused::p

• Members

The S-90 has a pretty good selection of synth sounds right out of the box - plus a bunch of good waveforms to build on. I also have the va analog PLG card which adds a lot.

I guess I'm with Eric... I really think Yamaha has the best action, build quality and bang for the buch among the ROMplers. And the Nord fills in where the S-90 needs it. Plus, it gives you unweighted keys for organ sounds - and just more "real estate" to play with. You've always got a quick "go to" board with the Nord.

Guitar Center is opening a new store in Maine next month - so I'll go down and play a bunch of boards and decide if I want to upgrade - to an S-90ES, go with a MO8, and see if there's another combination.

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Aye -

Pretty much the answer I expected, Eric.
:D

That is a killer rig, the S90 + NordElectro - but where do you get electronic/synth type sounds?

I mean, you've got authentic pianos, wurlie, rhodes & organ but what if the band launches into something where you need cheesy 80's synth sounds or something. Is that too contained in the mighty S90?
:confused::p

I've floated through numerous VA and RA synths as the dreaded 3rd keyboard in the rig. After losing interest in dealing with a 3rd keyboard, I've come to rely upon the S90 Classic for all my synth sounds. It has really great synth sounds for a rompler and it is streamlined to have everything in the same place.

Regards,

Eric

Archived