Lyle Mays thread

rugge78

• Members

Those of you who haven't heard "September Fifteenth" need to get your hands on As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls. I think it as a very touching elegy to Bill Evans, even though both Mays and Metheny claim to not have felt anything special while recording it. Evans died just before they started recording this album.

It is some of the finest piano work you'll ever hear from Lyle Mays. "Ozarks" is another incredible virtuosic display.

• Members

Originally posted by fulcrum

Time Remembered? The Bill Evans tune?

Mays has cited Evans as a major influence-- even titled the leadoff song on Fictionary after him.

Yep, the same one... its an incredible version too.... Towner plays a great solo... it switches from ballad style tempo to uptempo latin jazz... very very nice version of the tune. Also on the LP is another version of Timeless... its an LP that contains a couple of duffers... but the tunes that are great are so great that the LP just transcends those bad points...

Raplh Towner eh? Theres a pianist hardly anyone mentions... yet he's incredible... first rate guitarist too of course.... :thu:

• Members

I really like he track Slink too on Mays 1986 LP...

Great piano solo....

Originally posted by girevik

Those of you who haven't heard "September Fifteenth" need to get your hands on
. I think it as a very touching elegy to Bill Evans, even though both Mays and Metheny claim to not have felt anything special while recording it. Evans died just before they started recording this album.

It is some of the finest piano work you'll ever hear from Lyle Mays. "Ozarks" is another incredible virtuosic display.

• Members

I'm a HUGE Mays fan, too. My favorite (solo) Mays tunes include September Fifteenth, August (from Street Dreams) and of course Close To Home, which has been covered beautifully twice by brazilian greats Milton Nascimento and Zizi Possi. i've seen the group live four times now, what I'd really like to see is the Lyle Mays Quartet from the acoustic album; Bob Sheppard, Marc Johnson and... damn, can't remember the drummmer's name, i've been travelling all day and it's late... anyway, a big :thu: for Lyle!

• Members

First album I heard of them was American Garage. Still great, particularly The Epic, and no weak track on it. Liked Phase Dance and San Lorenzo from "The White Album" a lot as well.

In some strange way, I listened to it while reading Tolkiens The Hobbit. The same happened with Speaking Of Now and the LOTR novel. In one way or the other, Metheny wrote a great soundtrack to the book (for me, that is).

• 14 years later...
3 hours ago, Trey Spicola said:

Main gear for Lyle Mays:

Acoustic piano-Steinway,Yamaha

Autoharp

Oberheim Four & Eight Voice

SCI Prophet-5

Korg DW-8000

Yamaha CP-80

Yamaha CS-80

Roland JX-10 SuperJupiter

Kurzweil K250

Kurzweil K2000

Synclavier

That's a pretty darned impressive collection of keyboards... then again, Lyle is a pretty darned impressive keyboard player. :)

BTW, welcome to Harmony Central. :welcome:

Archived