NEED ADVICE Buying a good Workstation

guitarmaker6767

• Members

"well for live stuff and layering you can go cheaper than a juno d and micron and get slightly better results."

SURE ... maybe ... but do you really want to go through the hassle of buying used ... I think that's a better option down the road ...

I'm sure no matter what you acquire will get the job done ... it does come down to one simple fact, though ... generally ...

PAY MORE, GET MORE ...

but what you want isn't necessarily what you need

though ... unless you live in a big metro area with lots of cheap gear floating around ... buy something with a guarantee; you may pay some more, but you'll be saving yourself a lot of greif (potentially).

• Members

nope pay more = pay more.

get more = research ahead and make a decision based on knowledge gained.

the juno d is a decent synth. but for half the price of one new you can get the same feature set plus the expansion card option and have 2 synths in one. then you only need a v.a. to round out the package and you end up saving a lot of money and end up with more.

buying new is not going to provide you with better features for the money except in limited cases. budget romplers are never the case. a slightly older model from a higher previous price bracket will outdo the new budget rompler and be cheaper and have nicer key action and better performance oriented features usually.

the roland budget boards have {censored}ty key action.

the yamaha action in the lower price brackets is better.

i recommended a combo that allows him every classic sound from the time period he is looking at in a simple to gig with package. and it includes a 48 band vocoder to do styx covers with as well which he stated he was doing live. the micron is a good synth as well for a v.a. but he isn't going to need the keyboard and a used nova is cheaper by a little bit with more features than the micron and a much better interface to tweak on live. as is the s-30. it is basically the yamaha cs6x without the phrase sampler. same knobs, same sound engine same expansion options etc... a great bargain right now and you can still get support from yamaha for them as it is still fairly new.

• Members

Originally posted by wetwareinterface

........................the s-30. it is basically the yamaha cs6x without the phrase sampler. same knobs, same sound engine same expansion options etc... a great bargain right now and you can still get support from yamaha for them as it is still fairly new.

well, almost, but not quite the same. the S30 has the same knobs as the S80. the CS6X has quite a few more.

also, while the S80 and the CS6X can take 2 plg boards apiece, i'm pretty sure the S30 can only take one board.

and the S80 and CS6X have a mic input that allows you to run external audio or a mic thru a preamp and fx, and i don't think the S30 has that either.

but yes, it's a pretty good board for the money, and no - paying more doesn't necessarily always get you more.

i think the fusion gives you a lot for your money tho - sample playback, user sampling, hard disc recording, virtual analog, FM, physical modelling, sequencing, and so on. pretty hard to beat on a bang for the buck scale.

• Members

OK..............HERE we go, I have been reading, listening, and learning from all the GREAT ADVICE here!!! I REALLY DO THANK_YE ALL Now one last question.......I am pretty sure I am goint o purchase either a Alesis Fushion6HD or a Kurzweil K2661 Workstation........IS ANYONE FAMILAR WITH either of these boards???? If so which one has more bang for the buck.....or better sounds?????:wave::)

• Members

I meant new. All the manufacturers' machines are priced basically in line with each other.

YES, used is much cheaper. But I think he wants to go new. Who wouldn't? Since he's buying a contemporary keyboard with sampling.

Over and out, here ...

Peace, baby.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarmaker6767

..................If so which one has more bang for the buck.....or better sounds?????
:wave::)

do you know how to do a 'search'? here's one thread out of 2 pages returned for kurzweil k2661:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1004328&highlight=Kurzweil+K2661

bang for the buck and better sounds are 2 different issues.

i'd say overall you get more for your money with the fusion, but VAST and KDFX are nothing to turn your nose up at.

fusion is better if you plan on recording stuff and want to sample things without buying options (sampling is an option on the 2661).

k2661 is arguably better at doing strange stuff with samples, and has a large user base and lots of sounds available and great backwards compatibility.

you can use both of them right away, but as a beginner, it will probably take you quite a while to get into the finer points of either one.

• Members

I know I'm going to get {censored} for this but I used to do the same thing you are trying to do. I used a Yamaha PSR540 with fantastic results. It has alot of great sounds and a 16 sequencer/recorder. Easy to use. I saw one of these for $200 used yesterday and almost bought it just to put songs together. Very similar to the Roland someone posted earlier. The only downside to this board is they put alot of reverb that you may need to clean up . Like I said before, I used this for the exact same purpose you are. Good luck.

• Members

OK people: Thanks and more thanks for all the info......I am getting my cash together and am going to purchase the following equipmet

(2) Behringer KX1200 Keyboard amps

(1) Alesis 6HD fushion workstation

misc pedals...case.etc...

This is my 1st rig as far as keys.....I will check in once in a while, (I am sure I am going to be very busy trying to learn this board) , and let people know how this rig works out!!!!

Thanks.Again:

:wave::freak:

By the way I found a great deal on all the equipment....e-mail me if yiu would like to find out where and how much......

Archived