anyone use or own a dsi evolver?

• Members

Originally posted by dthestampede

Thanks, I'll check that out when I get access to my pc, I'm on a pda right now. Just tryin to figure out if it can be played/sequenced without an additional controller

Well, the short answer is yes - while the interface on the desktop evolver is kind of small, and a bit awkward, you can compose sequences without an additional controller. the sequencer is in the style of a traditional analog step sequencer, but it is pretty cool, actually. You have 4 rows, which can be assigned freely, and you can even sequence the different oscillator pitches separately if you want. Each row can be assigned a different # of steps.

• Members

Yes, you can use the Evolver without any external control.

The sequencer has 16 steps and 4 rows or "channels". Any or all of the channels can control pitch so with 4 oscillators onboard you can create semi polyphonic sequences....only one filter and VCA so articulation of all parts is in lock step.

Each patch contains it's own sequence data so if you create a patch you like you can copy it to multiple locations, give each it's own sequence data and then chain them together (in real time) to create longer pieces of music.

The sequencer can send MIDI note on/off so you can control outboard gear as well. Of course, the Evolver sequencer can also act as a sophisticated modulation source.

As suggested above, read the manual online to get a better handle on how the sequencer works.

Archived