Best book for music theory.

MuffMan7

• Members

I've been meaning to learn some more music theory for quite some time now. My problem is I can never get up the motivation to do so. What I need to know is, what is the best instructional book to buy relating music theory to guitar. I have been considering buying the Fretboard Theory books. What are everyone's thoughts on these? What else would you guys suggest?

thanks

lloyd

• Members

There are hundreds of books on music theory. And
probably hundreds of sites covering it too. One doesn't learn theory by surfing or shopping.
I think that's a common misconception ;)

Just sit down with a piece of information
and apply it to the instrument. If the following
is new to you, you've got enough for several
weeks or months of study and practice.

The music theory system in western music has twelve notes. The guitar has twelve frets. It's
a no brainer really as long as you take it in a
reasonable order and pace.

A good point to start is to learn the C major scale, the names of the notes and where they are
on the fretboard in standard tuning. From open strings to the 12th fret, then it's all the same
all over again, one octave higher.

The names are in ascending order: C,D,E,F,G,A,B and C an octave up.

It's not a coincidence that those same notes are
all the white keys on the piano.

The C major scale in the lowest octave on guitar:

------------------
------------------
-------------2-4-5-
------2-3-5--------
--3-5--------------
-------------------

Check it out :)

• Members

I've been taking classical guitar lessons at school for three years now, so I know all the basics, but all we do in class is read music. I am interested in learning to compose solos and classical guitar peices. I have been told that Fretboard theory is a really comprehensive book on these types of things applied to the guitar.

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by TubeAddict

I really like the Jazz Theory book by Levine, but it is not guitar specific--the author is a piano player.

Yeah, that's the one.

Or contact our friend Mike Perlowin, a.k.a. Stringman. He has written a book called Music Theory In The Real World. He'sfound dwelling in the Vets Forum. Just ask him.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Originally posted by MuffMan7

I've been taking classical guitar lessons at school for three years now, so I know all the basics, but all we do in class is read music. I am interested in learning to compose solos and classical guitar peices. I have been told that Fretboard theory is a really comprehensive book on these types of things applied to the guitar.

thanks

Yo Lloyd!!! I got the Guitar Grimoire if you want to borrow it sometime. Its got every type of mode and scale in the entire freaking world!!! Anyway, catch you later!

-Matt

Archived