Guys, can I tempt you with some theory?

ke2

• Members

i dont know about that..
a seventh chord with a sharp 5....?
the sharp five would be a flat 13 otherwise the scail would have no sixth
so the chord should read 7b13
the augmented 7th in the second picture sounds a little closer but augmented scail has a major seven.....
hey... but what you gonna do

• Members
Originally posted by skatan

i dont know about that..

a seventh chord with a sharp 5....?

the sharp five would be a flat 13 otherwise the scail would have no sixth

so the chord should read 7b13

the augmented 7th in the second picture sounds a little closer but augmented scail has a major seven.....

hey... but what you gonna do

no no, if it was called a flat 13 it would imply that there was a five in the chord. since there are no diatonic scales with a major third and and a minor six, it would be called a sharp 5, if it was in root possition (which doesn't really make a lick of difference with augmented chords really). It doesn't really matter what you call the note, so long as it is eight half half steps above the root. they are just trying to comunicate.

• Members

Originally posted by ninjaaron

no no, if it was called a flat 13 it would imply that there was a five in the chord. since there are no diatonic scales with a major third and and a minor six, it would be called a sharp 5, if it was in root possition (which doesn't really make a lick of difference with augmented chords really). It doesn't really matter what you call the note, so long as it is eight half half steps above the root. they are just trying to comunicate.

hey thanks for the theory heads up but the implyed 5 could be flat

so the scail might read 1 2 3 4 b5 b13 7 root

otherwise it might read 1 2 3 #4 #5 6 Maj7

know what i mean?

• Members

hey thanks for the theory heads up but the implyed 5 could be flat

so the scail might read 1 2 3 4 b5 b13 7 root

otherwise it might read 1 2 3 #4 #5 6 Maj7

know what i mean?

well, I guess the most common scale to use over an agmented chord is probably the whole tone scale, but with augmented chords, especialy and Aug Maj7 no diatonic scales will ever fit quite right, so you just kinda play it how ever you want.

I really have never seen that chord used that I can think of, but if I was trying to play over it I would probably just use an altered whole tone scale of sorts (with a #7). you could also use combined tonality, and play in a major or lydian scale, and transition to the same scale with a root on the tritone.

when you break it down there is no 'right' scale to use over that chord, it depends on the context. for stuff like that, I just trust my ears, and because it probably sounds pretty disonant anyway you could play just about anything over it. just be concinse of were the tone center is going before you do anything to rash, do something that will effectivly lead to the next tone center, because when you are dealing with augmented chords it can be pretty unstable, so the melody can really be the only thing to tell you were it is going. that is why whole tone scales are the safest, because they don't really solve anything either.

• Members

Originally posted by ninjaaron

well, I guess the most common scale to use over an agmented chord is probably the whole tone scale,

i agree.

i think in terms of less names and less chords

only voicings and if your carefull with your names then it all simplifies itself quite nicly.

i have reciently come in contact with the sharp five major seventh varity and i am convinced it is an altered voicing.

i will have anothe look at it tonite

thanks again for the convo.

• Members

i agree.

i think in terms of less names and less chords

only voicings and if your carefull with your names then it all simplifies itself quite nicly.

i have reciently come in contact with the sharp five major seventh varity and i am convinced it is an altered voicing.

i will have anothe look at it tonite

thanks again for the convo.

a sharp 5 maj 7 chord can also be thought of as a slash chord

example C+maj7= E/C

it is an E triad with C in the bass.

peace

Archived