What modes to use when soloing over Blue in Green..

• Members

I started to make a recording of this popular Miles Davis tune and I'm wondering what modes the crew used to solo over the song. I was thinking just a Bb scale but that just doesn't cut it for the whole song. Help needed.

Thanks

Dan

Here are my choices:

Bbmaj7(#11) - Bb Lydain is the one to use here. The regular Bb major scale doesn't have the #11 that is the most important part of this chord (the #11 is the melody note in the first measure). Am pentatonic also works well and brings out the important tones of the chord.

A7(#9)- Here I would either use Am pentatonic, or A altered. A altered is the 7th mode of Bb melodic minor. This mode hits on all those nice altered tones of the A chord (b9, #9, b5, and #5)

The next four chords move by kind of quickly, and I tend to just arpeggiate them. However, if you want to know all the notes that work over them:

Dm7 - D dorian

G7(#9) - Ab melodic minor (G altered)

Cm7 - D dorian

F7(b9) - Gb melodic minor (F altered)

Now we're on that Bbmaj7(#11) sound again, so Bb lydian. Am pentatonic works well here.

A7(#9) is up again, so use Bb melodic minor (A altered) again.

Dm11 - D dorian works best on this chord. Also, Am or Dm pentatonics work well.

E7(#9) - E altered (F melodic minor) or Em pentatonic are good choices.

Am9 - A dorian, or Am or Em pentatonics

Dm7 - D dorian, or Dm or Am pentatonics

Also, for all the altered 7th chords that I listed to use the altered scale on, the diminished scale is a good choice too.

For example, on the first altered chord, A7(#9), you can play Bb diminished (Bb C C# D# E F# G A Bb).

Diminished scales are fun because you can take any melodic idea and move it around by the interval of a minor 3rd because of the symmetry of the scale (the scale is just whole step, half step, whole step, half step, etc).

Now that I think about it, I don't think there's a single chord in this song that the Bb major scale would work on... Ironic, huh?

This has always been a favorite tune of mine. It's really nice because when you boil it down, it's just an exercise in lydian, dorian, and altered or diminished, all at a nice, slow tempo. This is the tune that really helped me get a foothold on playing altered and diminished.

• Members

Originally posted by Poparad

Here are my choices:

Bbmaj7(#11) - Bb Lydain is the one to use here. The regular Bb major scale doesn't have the #11 that is the most important part of this chord (the #11 is the melody note in the first measure). Am pentatonic also works well and brings out the important tones of the chord.

A7(#9)- Here I would either use Am pentatonic, or A altered. A altered is the 7th mode of Bb melodic minor. This mode hits on all those nice altered tones of the A chord (b9, #9, b5, and #5)

The next four chords move by kind of quickly, and I tend to just arpeggiate them. However, if you want to know all the notes that work over them:

Dm7 - D dorian

G7(#9) - Ab melodic minor (G altered)

Cm7 - D dorian

F7(b9) - Gb melodic minor (F altered)

Now we're on that Bbmaj7(#11) sound again, so Bb lydian. Am pentatonic works well here.

A7(#9) is up again, so use Bb melodic minor (A altered) again.

Dm11 - D dorian works best on this chord. Also, Am or Dm pentatonics work well.

E7(#9) - E altered (F melodic minor) or Em pentatonic are good choices.

Am9 - A dorian, or Am or Em pentatonics

Dm7 - D dorian, or Dm or Am pentatonics

Also, for all the altered 7th chords that I listed to use the altered scale on, the diminished scale is a good choice too.

For example, on the first altered chord, A7(#9), you can play Bb diminished (Bb C C# D# E F# G A Bb).

Diminished scales are fun because you can take any melodic idea and move it around by the interval of a minor 3rd because of the symmetry of the scale (the scale is just whole step, half step, whole step, half step, etc).

Now that I think about it, I don't think there's a single chord in this song that the Bb major scale would work on... Ironic, huh?

I always wondered what to play over & chords with a #9. I had been using minor pents(recommended by you a while back) Seem I have more scale to learn.

As you're such a big fan of this piece I wondered if you have time you could maybe listen and tell me what you think of these 2 different versions I recorded. Bear in mind I'm not a jazz player though:o

Blue In Green - acoustic

Blue In Green - electric

Originally posted by IamOne

I always wondered what to play over & chords with a #9. I had been using minor pents(recommended by you a while back) Seem I have more scale to learn.

As you're such a big fan of this piece I wondered if you have time you could maybe listen and tell me what you think of these 2 different versions I recorded. Bear in mind I'm not a jazz player though:o

Blue In Green - acoustic

Blue In Green - electric

Sounds like you're on the right track. That electric version is pretty cool. I love that Pumpkins-esque fade out sound in the lead guitar when the harmony drops out. :cool: Kind of reminds me of Plume or Pissant.

Archived