Total Noob (re: Paperback Writer)

J.B. Lee

• Members

Okay, I've been playing for a few months now and I feel it's time I finally try to add an actual song to my repertoire. For that honor I have nominated the immortal Beatles classic "Paperback Writer." Why? Well, it's one of my favorite songs, maybe #1. And that guitar riff is the reason I decided to learn guitar this summer. Yep, THE reason. I told myself "If I can learn nothing else but the main riff from Paperback Writer, I'll die a happy man."

Well, by chance it also turns out that this song only uses 2 chords (C plus G or G7, depending on where I look), making it an excellent candidate for a beginner's song. Problem is I don't know what to do. I mean, I sing the acapella bit, I play the riffb a couple of times, and then it's "Dear Sir or Madam...", but what do I play? I tried just strumming the chords, but it seems all flat and boring and wrong.

Could anyone one lend a noob a hand and tell him how to play the rhythm part on Paperback Writer?

• Members

I feel your pain in regards to Beatles songs. I got a huge book of official looking transcriptions of Beatles songs and sat down to try many of them. Didn't even get close. 'And Your Bird Can Sing' was one I tried and the first chord didn't even seem right. Amazing what talent and musicianship can do.

Archived