best chord progressions for melancholy/alternative rock

• Members

The best way to find out is to figure out the progressions to a number of songs you like. For instance it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the whole Evanescence album in a short time. I think most of it is natural/harmonic minor, simple minor/major chords and all chords within one key.

That said, I think you're looking for chord progressions in natural/harmonic minor with heavy use of the VI, VII and III degrees.

• Members

That's a tough question to answer. Chords alone don't convey much emotion; it's in how their delivered.

One of my favorite examples is The Beatles' "Help!". The chorus progresses along the lines of A - C#m - F#m - D - G - A.

When played as recorded, the song has a pop uptempo feel.

Deep Purple recorded the song as a slow lament. Same chords; different delivery. Minus the over-wrought production of early Deep Purple, their cover brings out an emotional intensity not found in George Martin's production.

Some songs, like "Don't Fear the Reaper" use an IIIm - V - IV - V- IIIm progression to create a moody feel.

• Members

thanks for the replies guys.

I am indeed finding the VI VII are in heavy use in those songs. I've been experimenting. I'll try the III

Some songs just have a more melancholy chord progression.

case in point " while my guitar gently weeps.

Archived