'Typecast' Artists

psb962

• Members

I read here that Dorian mode = Santana so I got my Best of Santana album out and figured the first 16 bars or so of one of my faves. Checked the scale chart. Yup. D Dorian. Started wandering all over the fretboard in that key and mode, and Carlos is everywhere under my fingers. This is looking good. Many happy hours of working out Santana stuff ahead.

What next? I'm sure there are other great artists out there who have recorded a lot of good stuff in a given mode (and even the same key)

Please provide examples... Does Angus Y or Jimmy P fall into this category? Who is 'defined' by Phrygian - Metallica? Lydian seems a bit 'bright' - apart from Star Spangled Banner (I think thats Lydian) who 'lives in that mode?

I think this is good way 'in' to learning songs fast, having invested the time to learn the modal patterns. Help me get the benefit here!

• Members

I've found that the vast majority of "regular" rock or hard rock (Van Halen, Aerosmith, more straightforward Zeppelin, etc.) is Mixolydian, or a hybrid called Mixo-Blues.

Sure enough, you start playing those licks, and you'll start sounding way more like the above mentioned lead guitarists.

Mixo-Blues: You can either think of this as the basic minor pentatonic with a major third added in, or as a Mixolydian with a minor third added in.

If you need help with the seven basic diatonic patterns from which all modes originate, see my lesson "Scales Are Everywhere..."

Get it here, it's free: http://www.BluesQuest.com

Click on Lessons & Tips

Have fun.

Archived