Counter Melody

Walters9515

• Members
Originally posted by Walters9515
So you saying I should answer my own question based on uneducation and being uneducated?

I didn't know people could answer their own questions based
on Zero information or being uneducated to answer them

Actually, we are asking you to question your own questions (and question your own "answers" as well. By "answers" there I mean the statements that you have supposing certain things)

This is not the way to handle this,

yup, that's what we've been saying

i posted these questions
for people that are educated or have the answers to HELP me out more and to explain to me better about this and to exchange ideas.

and we are - as you've mentioned not having the knowledge and not getting benefit out of good resources (including this forum) it leads us to comment on your approach to the problems

please reread the comments that Aug and other have made - again, the problem is in the approach (what questions you need to be concerning yourself with, etc) as opposed to the specfics of these particular elements which you bring up

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ah, but if you reread the posts with (and this is the important part) an open mind (critical really when you ask a question) , there is a very important thing to be gained...a thing, which ultimately, could be crucial to your musical education (potentially your education in general)

• Members

yea that guy just told me dude go back to school, go on the internet , google, books,library same thing you said same thing
nothing gained at all from me just asking what counter melodies,background melodies,word painting from music theory
educated people on music theory forums no differences at all
i got the same answer just get a teacher man.

If your educated then why can't u just explain it whats so hard about this its just counter melodies , word painting its not rocket science if your educated in music theory these are like ABC of music and if your educated then just say it , if you don't know it just be Honest with me and just say walters i don't know the answers be honest

• Members

If your educated then why can't u just explain it whats so hard about this its just counter melodies , word painting its not rocket science if your educated in music theory these are like ABC of music and if your educated then just say it , if you don't know it just be Honest with me and just say walters i don't know the answers be honest

Walters I know the answers.

Would you like me to go to your house and click the link for you?

• Members

Originally posted by Chao

Walters I know the answers.

The "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music Part 1 disk 6, Robert Greenberg, San Francisco Conservatory of Music" citation at the end of that article is a GREAT one. That series (by The Teaching Company) is fantastic.

• Members

Did you find your boyfriend yet Choa?

maybe that car wash guy is your match or is that you Chao

washing that Car?

So did that link answer your question?

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

The "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music Part 1 disk 6, Robert Greenberg, San Francisco Conservatory of Music" citation at the end of that article is a GREAT one. That series (by The Teaching Company) is fantastic.

Yes, rumor has it that the TTC audiobooks have been seen floating around the net ;)

• Members
yea that guy just told me dude go back to school, go on the internet , google, books,library same thing you said same thing

pretty wise car washer there

nothing gained at all from me just asking what counter melodies,background melodies,word painting from music theory
educated people on music theory forums no differences at all
i got the same answer just get a teacher man.

exactly! it's, in many ways, the most helpful answer - you did mention that you had gone through a bunch of resources and they were of little help....that's because your approach is doing you a disservice and preventing you from really understanding te material

, word painting its not rocket science if your educated in music theory these are like ABC of music and if your educated then just say it

ah, see there's the rub

you also said

So you saying I should answer my own question based on uneducation and being uneducated?

I didn't know people could answer their own questions based
on Zero information or being uneducated to answer them

yet by declaring word painting, etc "like ABC of music" you are, in fact, trying to answer your own question with zero knowledge - you have decided it's place and role in music theory without knowing that music theory.
that's why we urge you to get some training in fundamentals so you can actually understand it's place as opposed to just amassing a disjoint pile of disparate concepts with no real connection.
We understand that you desperately want to incorporate these sorts of techniques and the easthertic into your music, but to do so effectively you really need a foundation

you need to know what the kickstarter actually does before you go "yeah yeah yeah, whatever - I just want to do wheelies and {censored}"

understand, we are here to help you -- it's just that the full, meaningful answers are simply richer than you are willing to accept right now

• Members

Its hard to tell whats going on in his head. There are times when the questions asked are really thought-provoking, but as soon as someone gives him a well-written thought out answer he degenerates into the bad word usage and then asks ten more questions in one post that do not make any relevant sense. Sometimes even answering his own questions. This is where I think Mr Knobs is correct in his assesment of Walters knowing more than hes letting on to get a rise out of people.

For the most part we all "can" communicate our thoughts to each other decently enough to get our points across. Its the multiple threads relating to the same thing that get annoying. Especially when Walters gets angry at the very principle that made most of us what we are today in relation to music.

We had to READ, got to SCHOOL, take CLASSES that cover the bare bones, the FOUNDATION for which music is based. Most importantly, we have had to EXPLORE the music by RECORDING and LISTENING. Having OTHERS listen to what we've done to get feedback and THEN coming here to figure out the finer points that we may have missed.

Yes, this IS a resource and a damned fine one, but the other resources (Google and Wikipedia) are ALSO damned fine too. Walters is simply refusing to use those tools (which is his choice), and preferring to be spoon-fed ALL the answers. Look at the Drum Forum, Phil O'Keefe's, Recording, and Dj forums. All of them have had Walters come in and do exactly the same thing again and again. Then look at all of the other world-wide forums he's been literally BANNED from and you'll see this very same pattern.

I know you are reading this Walters and let it be known that I am not "flaming" you, but I AM pointing out that (to many) you are pretty damned annoying.
We all have a quest for knowledge and there is nothing wrong with that at all. But why not try and be respectful of those of us trying to help...
instead of playing head-games to pass your time with.
Sincerely,

Mick
EerieDreamZ productionZ

Does counter melodies start on the OFF-beat mostly?

Countermelodies often starts on mostly the 3rd and sometimes start on teh 5th basic syncopation division of measure. Countermeldoies can anticipate plagal entrances of primary melodies sometimes but mostly will be in line with them. Countermelodies sometimes can be on the ON-beats mostly but can also be sometimes on the OFF-beats mostly.

Does a counter melody start on the tonic root key center note?

Countermelodies start on the tonic root key center note only when they enter first. On subsequent entry Countermelodies sometimes can enter on subdominant key center note or even sometims on lower tonic mediant notes. If post subject counterstriping happen in music, then countermelody must start on ending notes of primary melody and form elided cadences sometimes. When Bach wrote Countermelody, he would start on tonic root key center note unless it was the Sabbath, which the church he work for made him start Countermelody on sharp leading tone key note.

• Members

This quote sums it up quite well...

"yet by declaring word painting, etc "like ABC of music" you are, in fact, trying to answer your own question with zero knowledge - you have decided it's place and role in music theory without knowing that music theory.
that's why we urge you to get some training in fundamentals so you can actually understand it's place as opposed to just amassing a disjoint pile of disparate concepts with no real connection.
We understand that you desperately want to incorporate these sorts of techniques and the easthertic into your music, but to do so effectively you really need a foundation

you need to know what the kickstarter actually does before you go "yeah yeah yeah, whatever - I just want to do wheelies and {censored}"

understand, we are here to help you -- it's just that the full, meaningful answers"

• Members

or you could try reading this again...

"yet by declaring word painting, etc "like ABC of music" you are, in fact, trying to answer your own question with zero knowledge - you have decided it's place and role in music theory without knowing that music theory.

understand, we are here to help you -- it's just that the full, meaningful answers"

What are plagal entrances? I-IV?

Plagal entrances are found mostly in Countermelodies, fugal overlap sequences, and chromatic enunciations of bassline restatements. Plagal enterances are only minor part of Countermelodies basic theory.

What are elided cadences? what is elided mean?

Elided cadeances sometimes mostly happen with post subject counterstriping in countermelodies. Elided mean to run in reverse numerical algorithmic sequencing. Elided cadence are only minor part of Countermelodies basic theory, sometimes, or mostly. Bach started do this for post subject counterstriping.

• Members

Hey EerieDreamZ is u keep doing this again and again
i have more proof of you to report u to the mod. im getting
really sick of you trashing and disrespecting a person that
whats to learn about a subject that has posted questions.
Your more of a Troll really then me i don't disrespect or post
trash in any ones elses froms and thats a REAL TROLL which
you and Chao are really.

Archived