String Gauge Effect on Speed

Epiprone

• Members

Hello Everyone!

What string gauges do you use?

Do you notice a difference in your picking speed if you go from one gauge to another?

I'm confused, because some of the fastest well-known players use super light strings, but I hear a lot of talk here about heavier gauges being more beneficial to fast picking?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

:)

• Members

I use .10s with a .52 low e string.

I think the larger relative string size would be more condusive for speed picking. The larger the string size the more tension. The more tension the quicker it "snaps" back into place allowing for the next pick stroke.

Thats my opinion anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by mynameistaken

I use .10s with a .52 low e string.

I think the larger relative string size would be more condusive for speed picking. The larger the string size the more tension. The more tension the quicker it "snaps" back into place allowing for the next pick stroke.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Your opinion is correct! :thu:

Also, using heavier strings (and thus higher tension) means that the pick is in contact with the string for less time, yielding a cleaner, more precise attack. In other words, the pick noise is shortened while the note duration is increased.

• Members

For me, the tuning determines my string gauge more than anything. I can still pick fast and clean either way, but if I tried to play 10's tuned to C, I'd have a floppy mess! I have my main guitar tuned to C with 12's and my backup tuned to C with 11's. I'm still experimenting to see if I can deal with how loose the 11's are. I like to be able to bend that much, but it's a bit harder to play.

• Members

I use 12's on my 335 and 11's on my Strat's on acoustic I wouldn't go any lighter than 13's. Heavier strings with high actions are easiest for me to play fast on. Just a thought though,

Shawn Lane ( who was INSANLY fast!!!!) played gauge "8" with a seriously low action so it's really what works best for you.

Peace.

• Members

I think thinner gauges allow for a lot more picking speed. Less resistance. Also the pick has less distance to travel back and forth. This allows for faster bpm.

If the pick is too thick it will take to long to follow through and produce the actual note strike. Imagine playing with a pick as thick as a checker or something, not too fast eh? I think the thinnest pick that will not flex with your amount of force would be the best.

I find it's super easy to play extremely fast with .008s and a heavier pick. Such little resistance. But I prefer .010's and a heavy.

• Members

Originally posted by Epiprone

Thanks everyone!

I had a hunch that thicker strings might be the way to go.

Whenever I pick with .10's it feels as if the string is getting snagged against the pick, especially on the bass strings.

If you're trying to improve your speed, you will probably find it easier to build up technique on lighter strings, then when you've made a shredding god of yourself and you feel that the gague you're at is lacking the tension for the speed you want, move up a gague. At the end of the day, Vai plays super slinkies so light strings can't be that much of a hindrance to high speed picking!

Also, lighter strings will make it much easier to play legato licks.

Edit - I play 10 - 46 on my tele (thinking of moving down a gague) and 09 - 52 on my Dime.

• Members

Originally posted by buddastrat

I think thinner gauges allow for a lot more picking speed. Less resistance. Also the pick has less distance to travel back and forth. This allows for faster bpm.

That's completely backwards.
:p
Heavier strings don't 'give' as much, and their vibrational path is smaller. End result: allows for faster, more articulate pick strokes.

Lighter strings 'catch' on the pick more, which means a longer contact time between the two. Also, the vibrational path is wider, so each time you strike the string when it's moving, you get even MOE pick noise, and less note.

If the pick is too thick it will take to long to follow through and produce the actual note strike. Imagine playing with a pick as thick as a checker or something, not too fast eh? I think the thinnest pick that will not flex with your amount of force would be the best.

The thicker and firmer, the better. (within reason; a checker-sized pick would not be reasonable).

Lighter strings DO make slurs (and taps) easier, and are much gentler on the hand when it comes to chords, but they are actually more difficult for the pick hand, which is why string gauge selection is always a compromise.

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

The thicker and firmer, the better. (within reason; a checker-sized pick would not be reasonable).

+1

Heavier guage is more condusive to faster picking.

Additionally, the "give" of all the strings will be more consistent

from low to high.

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

I stand by what I say, rigid pick is best. A checker sized thickness would not be efficient. So the thicker the better does not apply. If it's too thick it will take a lot more effort and alot more travel to strike the string.

I just find my playing to answer the question the best. I think there are other variables such as striking force need to be considered as well as string thickness. But if I take a guitar with .008's tuned to Eb (ala Yngwie) and a pick that doesn't flex, everything from trem picking to sweep picking is at it's fastest, because of such little resistance.

Then if I play .011s it's much slower, I can feel my pick hand is more sluggish and takes more effort to go through the string and back. Seems to take more power or force which takes away from my speed. Also a big fat low E string like a .056 takes the pick longer to follow through. I can't play the riff to Hang 'em High by VH which is very fast alt. picking eighth notes on the low E. I can play that on a .042 or .046 though.

I simply measured it with a metronome. Trem picking is much easier on those skinny strings- FOR ME!

• Members

I use many different string gauges depending on the guitar I'm playing. There may be 9s, 10s, Custom Lites, or LTHB on the guitars. The only noticeable difference to me is the tension when I bend a string.

• Members

Originally posted by Epiprone

Hello Everyone!

What string gauges do you use?

Do you notice a difference in your picking speed if you go from one gauge to another?

I'm confused, because some of the fastest well-known players use super light strings, but I hear a lot of talk here about heavier gauges being more beneficial to fast picking?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

:)

I've only ever really used 10's or 9's. I find my right hand picking technique is "tidier" with 10's, but prefer 9's cos there's less resistence for the left hand, both in terms of playing fast and bending strings etc. Overall I'm faster on 9's than 10's... it's probably a matter of preference.

• Members

I stand by what I say, rigid pick is best. A checker sized thickness would not be efficient. So the thicker the better does not apply. If it's too thick it will take a lot more effort and alot more travel to strike the string.

I just find my playing to answer the question the best. I think there are other variables such as striking force need to be considered as well as string thickness. But if I take a guitar with .008's tuned to Eb (ala Yngwie) and a pick that doesn't flex, everything from trem picking to sweep picking is at it's fastest, because of such little resistance.

Then if I play .011s it's much slower, I can feel my pick hand is more sluggish and takes more effort to go through the string and back. Seems to take more power or force which takes away from my speed. Also a big fat low E string like a .056 takes the pick longer to follow through. I can't play the riff to Hang 'em High by VH which is very fast alt. picking eighth notes on the low E. I can play that on a .042 or .046 though.

I simply measured it with a metronome. Trem picking is much easier on those skinny strings- FOR ME!

if you are much slower on bigger strings, its most likely because you are digging in too much with the pick...you need to just graze the string with the pick and not dig in (which 9's and lighter allow you to do and get away with, because they are lighter and more flexible).

i normally play in standard with 10, 13, 17, 34, 44, 54 and am switching too 11, 14, 18, 34, 44, 54 for my D tuned PRS. i have an old guitar i just acquired strung with 9's that ive been playing a bit, and i can tell there is a need to change techniques with 9's going from the size strings i use. you have to hit the string a little harder with the pick on 9's to get the volume you need...when you switch to bigger gauges, that becomes a hindrance because the string resists and you cant play as fast or as clean. i guarantee if you put bigger strings on your axe and adjust your technique youll be able to play just as fast or faster with the bigger gauges. its just a matter of practice.

as for Steve Vai, he uses 9-42's until his fingers are in shape (when are they not??? LOL) and then switches to 10-52's (read it in a recent article with him).

in the end though, it comes down to personal preference. some people like really low action and 9's or lighter, some, like me, like bigger gauges and higher action...none is better than the other, and the reason they make difference gauge strings and picks is so you can experiment and find the right size for your own preference. as for bending ease, i have no problems bending 10's or even 11's at standard tune on a 25 1/2 scale guitar (strat etc). sure 9's are easier, but i like a little resistance...i dont like to have effortless playing...i like the guitar to fight back!!! besides, after a while your fingers get stronger and bending 10's is as easy as 9's.

• Members

Originally posted by gtrmaestro

I use 12's on my 335 and 11's on my Strat's on acoustic I wouldn't go any lighter than 13's. Heavier strings with high actions are easiest for me to play fast on. Just a thought though,

Shawn Lane ( who was INSANLY fast!!!!) played gauge "8" with a seriously low action so it's really what works best for you.

Peace.

did you have to mess with the truss rod when you changed to 011's on your strat?

• Members

Originally posted by soc_monki

if you are much slower on bigger strings, its most likely because you are digging in too much with the pick...you need to just graze the string with the pick and not dig in (which 9's and lighter allow you to do and get away with, because they are lighter and more flexible).

i normally play in standard with 10, 13, 17, 34, 44, 54 and am switching too 11, 14, 18, 34, 44, 54 for my D tuned PRS. i have an old guitar i just acquired strung with 9's that ive been playing a bit, and i can tell there is a need to change techniques with 9's going from the size strings i use. you have to hit the string a little harder with the pick on 9's to get the volume you need...when you switch to bigger gauges, that becomes a hindrance because the string resists and you cant play as fast or as clean. i guarantee if you put bigger strings on your axe and adjust your technique youll be able to play just as fast or faster with the bigger gauges. its just a matter of practice.

as for Steve Vai, he uses 9-42's until his fingers are in shape (when are they not??? LOL) and then switches to 10-52's (read it in a recent article with him).

in the end though, it comes down to personal preference. some people like really low action and 9's or lighter, some, like me, like bigger gauges and higher action...none is better than the other, and the reason they make difference gauge strings and picks is so you can experiment and find the right size for your own preference. as for bending ease, i have no problems bending 10's or even 11's at standard tune on a 25 1/2 scale guitar (strat etc). sure 9's are easier, but i like a little resistance...i dont like to have effortless playing...i like the guitar to fight back!!! besides, after a while your fingers get stronger and bending 10's is as easy as 9's.

???????????????

In that case why don't you use .014's. Build up those hand muscles so much and watch your speed dwindle. You don't want that!!! Or just try trem picking on bass vs. some light guitar strings!!

1st lesson here. Don't assume!

Well I use .010-.050, used to use .011s, and I've been doing this for a LONG time. I've experimented plenty with lots of gauges. I like the snap of the lighter treble strings with thicker bass strings.

My pick skims the top of the strings. Stylus pick style. I do dig in when I want that tone. I don't have a problem with speed, at least keeping up with the Yngwie cds. But as I said, and I'll say it again. The smaller string requires less travel and less resistance. That doesn't mean I use .008's! and it doesn't mean I dig in too deep!!

To me, even when Paul Gilbert used .011's it sounded more sluggish than when he used .010's. It just had a faster attack. SRV used heavy strings. Ever hear him trem pick? It wasn't like no hummingbird. He had a lot of muscle in his hands. Those heavy strings slowed him down. Of course he sounded great and wasn't going for shred but he tried to play at his fastest many times.

Btw, Yngwie uses .008s. You know he'd switch to heavier if it would allow him to play faster! Django and all the gypsy guitarists who fly. Why do they favor such stiff picks and light strings???!! They get some serious volume and velocity from those things.

It's about less resistance IMO, if you want speed. If you can keep the pick from letting the string flop you can control it. Sounds like that's where your problem may be. You should feel the pick on both sides of the string, and then it can't go anywhere. FOR ME if I want speed, less resistance works.

Besides

The metronome doesn't lie.

• Members

???????????????

In that case why don't you use .014's. Build up those hand muscles so much and watch your speed dwindle. You don't want that!!! Or just try trem picking on bass vs. some light guitar strings!!

1st lesson here. Don't assume!

Well I use .010-.050, used to use .011s, and I've been doing this for a LONG time. I've experimented plenty with lots of gauges. I like the snap of the lighter treble strings with thicker bass strings.

My pick skims the top of the strings. Stylus pick style. I do dig in when I want that tone. I don't have a problem with speed, at least keeping up with the Yngwie cds. But as I said, and I'll say it again. The smaller string requires less travel and less resistance. That doesn't mean I use .008's! and it doesn't mean I dig in too deep!!

To me, even when Paul Gilbert used .011's it sounded more sluggish than when he used .010's. It just had a faster attack. SRV used heavy strings. Ever hear him trem pick? It wasn't like no hummingbird. He had a lot of muscle in his hands. Those heavy strings slowed him down. Of course he sounded great and wasn't going for shred but he tried to play at his fastest many times.

Btw, Yngwie uses .008s. You know he'd switch to heavier if it would allow him to play faster! Django and all the gypsy guitarists who fly. Why do they favor such stiff picks and light strings???!! They get some serious volume and velocity from those things.

It's about less resistance IMO, if you want speed. If you can keep the pick from letting the string flop you can control it. Sounds like that's where your problem may be. You should feel the pick on both sides of the string, and then it can't go anywhere. FOR ME if I want speed, less resistance works.

Besides

The metronome doesn't lie.

i dont use 14s because that would be outrageous IMO. there comes a point to where a string gets so big that you cant do wide bends at certain tensions (a smaller string is more flexible therefore can bend more before breaking). so its always a compromise. 10-17 on the high strings in standard tune is a good compromise IMO. 11-18 when tuned down a whole step (especially on a 25 inch scale). and i can trem pick on a bass just fine, so dont assume anything.

i just stated my experiences. i found the reason for my problems with speed to be related to bad habits i formed, which included digging in too much with the pick rather than grazing the string and finding the "happy medium" of pick contact, where i got the most volume and least amount of resistance. and thats where i see a lot of people messing up, since most people i know use 9's and dig in a lot and when playing on a guitar with heavier strings (even 10s) digging in slows them down horribly. i thought adding that little part in might help some people less experienced realize some problems they may have. sorry for trying to help people.

as for Stevie, he used decent sized strings, yes, but as to whether it slowed him down...who knows? i enjoy listening to SRV for the pure power his music had, not whether his strings slowed him down or not. he played with pure emotion. i dont care if he played 11-58 or 8-38. its how he played that moves me.

Yngwie...sure, he uses 8's, with a 48 low E. hes also wicked fast. great. hes happy with what he uses, and thats why he uses it. im sure if he put 10s on a guitar and played with it a while hed be just as fast...i mean, there are guys that use bigger strings than he does and they play just as fast. its all just personal preference.

Django and the other gypsy guys...i dont know what they used, i havent even really listened to much of Django's stuff. although i do respect that he played with only two fingers on his left hand...thats love and dedication. to hell with what size strings he used.

and as for what works for me, ive already said what works for me. i know what my problems are and i am and will always be correcting and improving on them. IMO less resistance means a bigger string and as little pick contact as possible. the bigger string wont move as much as a smaller string, and using as little pick contact as possible means there is less friction and less wasted energy and movement. so basically we are saying the same thing...less resistance. it is our manner of achieving it that is different.

so in summation, i dont care how long youve been at it, etc. my post was in good nature and in discussion. but it seems like you post back in attack mode, saying this about yngwie and that about django. who cares? we like what we like and use what makes us comfortable. so just drink a beer and chill out dude. no need in getting all frustrated on an internet board.

• Members

First of all, you like to assume, as I already pointed out.

Who can't trem pick on a bass!!??? You totally missed the point.

I brought up the gypsy style as it was relevant to the topic. They like speed and they like light strings for the most part. Yngwie is very similar to their style in many ways.

And if you look at my post that you first quoted, the last words I said was this works "for me"- so follow your own advice, and know that things can be different for different people. I was offering my 25 years of experience.

• Members

First of all, you like to assume, as I already pointed out.

Who can't trem pick on a bass!!??? You totally missed the point.

I brought up the gypsy style as it was relevant to the topic. They like speed and they like light strings for the most part. Yngwie is very similar to their style in many ways.

And if you look at my post that you first quoted, the last words I said was this works "for me"- so follow your own advice, and know that things can be different for different people. I was offering my 25 years of experience.

what point? you made it sound like it would be easier to trem pick light guitar strings than heavy bass strings...

i understand why you brought up the gypsy and yngwie styles, but that doesnt mean that those styles are stereotypical of all people of those styles. which was my point.

and read my post after i quoted you, youll see in my last paragraph i said "some may like big strings some may like small, its all personal preference and one is not better than the other."

i dont understand why youre trying to argue with me when we're saying the same thing, or at least agreeing on the most important parts?

• Members

I just still find the smaller gauge string more conducive to all facets for speed. I was trying to bring up many examples. That doesn't mean I prefer real light strings, but when I play .008's tuned down a half step, ala Yngwie there is such little resistance and it's so easy to fly. Sweeping and picking is like moving the pick through warm butta'. Virtually no effort to move the pick.

Now compare that to an acoustic or electric with heavy gauge strings, and it takes a lot more effort. I think that's why EVH chose to play Spanish Fly on a nylon string tuned way down yet, and Yngwie does too. The shredders tend to stay away from the steel strings. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it's really easier on the soft strings.

• 13 years later...

Archived