Yamaha PLG150PF Piano Expansion

blackba

• Members

I just got the classic keys rom install for my kurzweil PC2x and I am loving it.

I was looking into the PLG150PF for some more piano and EP sounds for my S90. I know this board works on other keyboards as well. Is the PLG150PF worth getting, or is it as bad as most of the reviews claim?

I have tweaked the S700 piano on the S90 and it is better, but still not quite to my liking.

• Members

The PLG150-PF came out in 1999 when the CS6x and S80 were still in production so it predates the S90, Motif, etc. It contains a collection of acoustic and electric piano samples. The S90ES and Motif ES already have the same (or better) piano samples. If you have an original (non-ES) S90 you MIGHT find the card useful, but I would advise getting it from a dealer with a rock solid return policy!

Ther's a Sound on Sound review here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan00/articles/yamahaplgs.htm

The PLG150-AP is a SINGLE acoustic piano and is a real upgrade for the older boards but maybe not the ES models. I haven't heard it against the ES pianos.

One plus of either card for sequencing applications is they add polyphony to the host machine; each can play up to 64 notes while leaving all the S90 voices available for playing other parts.

• Members

Originally posted by Meatball Fulton

The PLG150-PF came out in 1999 when the CS6x and S80 were still in production so it predates the S90, Motif, etc. It contains a collection of acoustic and electric piano samples. The S90ES and Motif ES already have the same (or better) piano samples. If you have an original (non-ES) S90 you MIGHT find the card useful, but I would advise getting it from a dealer with a rock solid return policy!

No, wrong, just wait a sec...

The Motif ES does not have the same sounds or anything in it that sounds like the PLG150-PF. I still like and use the PF card in my Yamaha 9000 Pro but I dumped my Motif ES 8 because of it's lack of decent piano sounds, among many reasons. I tried the PLG150-AP card and didn't like it. Some don't like the PF card but I do... I don't love it mind you but it's a better piano sound than I found anywhere in the Motif ES IMHO.

Archived