How often do you play?

markaf19

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ten hours a day, of course! :D

Nah, life does it's thing. Sometimes it's an hour, sometimes it's several hours. But I tell ya one thing, NOTHING gets in the way of guitar in my day. It's an essential on the daily list...skipping guitar is like skipping food for a day. Nope.

But yeah, it was hard to practice in college.

• Members
Originally posted by bdemon

Ten hours a day, of course!
:D

Nah, life does it's thing. Sometimes it's an hour, sometimes it's several hours. But I tell ya one thing, NOTHING gets in the way of guitar in my day. It's an essential on the daily list...skipping guitar is like skipping food for a day. Nope.

But yeah, it was hard to practice in college.

Yeah lately i feel like i have to try something new to get more pratice time in. maybe i need to get up earlier or something, I need more playing time.

• Members

A couple of hours a day really of jus widdling up and down the fretboard, trying to be more melodic and find new ways around.

It is hard to maintain a consistent level of practise, somedays I come home tired from work and want toget a good workout but it ends up pissing me off because I'm too tired to get into it.

Originally posted by markaf19

Yeah lately i feel like i have to try something new to get more pratice time in. maybe i need to get up earlier or something, I need more playing time.

I've started doing this in the past year and I find it to be very productive. I get up an hour or two earlier than I need to for my first classes (although I am a music major, but I still do need to find time to practice) and spend that time working on things. My mind is fresh and it's a great physical and mental warm up for the day.

• Members

some of my friends only practice for like fifteen minutes to thirty minutes per day, and not because they have other stuff to do, they just dont like practicing

I say that if you dont like practicing you shouldnt be playing guitar in the first place

I practice anyway from 3-7 hours per day
I practice while im watching tv
i mute it on the commercials and play my acoustic
it is soo good

• Members

Originally posted by Skitzo130

some of my friends only practice for like fifteen minutes to thirty minutes per day, and not because they have other stuff to do, they just dont like practicing

I say that if you dont like practicing you shouldnt be playing guitar in the first place

it is soo good

I kinda dont agree.

I wouldnt turn practicing into a chore unless its your profession or something.

Sometimes I dont practice for a week becasue I am burnt out on it, or I am pressed for time.

When I do practice, it is quality practice, not just noodling in front of a TV.

1 hr a day is actually plenty good for anyone who just wants to be a decent guitar player...IF what you do in that hour is very productive and challenging.

• Members

Originally posted by typedeaF

I kinda dont agree.

Sometimes I dont practice for a week becasue I am burnt out on it, or I am pressed for time.

1 hr a day is actually plenty good for anyone who just wants to be a decent guitar player...IF what you do in that hour is very productive and challenging.

I think you missunderstood me

what I meant was that while many people just sit and do nothing doing commercials, u can do some quick finger excersises

This is only a small portion and addition to regular practice

• Members

it is soo good

I like to practice all through the programs and take a smoke break during the commercials, when I am doing scales. I usually would do 2-4 hours of scales and melodic figures, so a short break is essential every 15-45 minutes.

• Members

I think you missunderstood me

what I meant was that while many people just sit and do nothing doing commercials, u can do some quick finger excersises

This is only a small portion and addition to regular practice

No, I get your point. It was that if a person doesnt want to practice every day, they souldnt play guitar, right? The TV thing was just a similar comparison, not directly related to yours. I just know people that think that noodling on the guitar while watching TV constitutes practice. Sure, its keeping the fingers limber, but I believe when you practice, you should be focused. Again, I am not comparing this to your statement of playing during commercials. Its just a similar scenario. WHat I didnt agree with is that people shouldnt play guitar if they dont want to practice every day. Some people who are adults with full time jobs and families just dont have the luxury of 3-7 or even 1 hr a day. They might not become the next guitar legend, but surely if they still enjoy playing when they can, they should.

• Members

I agree on all accounts.

• Members

No, I get your point. It was that if a person doesnt want to practice every day, they souldnt play guitar, right? The TV thing was just a similar comparison, not directly related to yours. I just know people that think that noodling on the guitar while watching TV constitutes practice. Sure, its keeping the fingers limber, but I believe when you practice, you should be focused. Again, I am not comparing this to your statement of playing during commercials. Its just a similar scenario. WHat I didnt agree with is that people shouldnt play guitar if they dont want to practice every day. Some people who are adults with full time jobs and families just dont have the luxury of 3-7 or even 1 hr a day. They might not become the next guitar legend, but surely if they still enjoy playing when they can, they should.

Ok

but what i am saying is, if someone doesnt LIKE to practice or dreads it, then they shouldnt play guitar

If someone cant practice becuase they have a busy work schedule and they dont have time, then i accept that, i am just saying that someone who likes to practice is a guitar player

• Members

Ok

but what i am saying is, if someone doesnt LIKE to practice or dreads it, then they shouldnt play guitar

If someone cant practice becuase they have a busy work schedule and they dont have time, then i accept that, i am just saying that someone who likes to practice is a guitar player

I get cha now. Here is my thing. To me practice is like working out. I don't always feel like going to the gym but I'm not going to look the way I like to look by skipping.

When it comes to guitar practice I figure, I won't get better at it by wishing I was so I put my time in even if I'm not really in the mood. Once I get past the first 15 minutes or so I get into it but I don't always feel like practice. If I can't get into it I just do scales and exercises.

We might be in different places in our skill level. I suck. I have been told crawl, walk, run. I'm between crawl and walk. (I think) I might be a walk but I'm not at the point where I would play in front of someone. I guess to summarize, I'll do what I have to do to get better. Even play when I don't feel like it.

• Members

Ok

Right. I know. I was in a particularlly bad mood when I posted that and it came off putting you on the defensive.

You are right by me that if you just completely abhore practice, you should probably not play guitar. But that doesnt stop people and it was the whole foundation of Punk rock...which I dont care for.

• Members

How much practice you need really depends on what your goals are. You first need to consider what you are trying to get out of it. Secondly more practice is not always the best answer(although i do try to get in as much as possible). You might first try and evaluate how you are spending the time you do get to practice. Sometimes by simply writing down what you are going to practice and for how long(then stick to that plan), you can eliminate a lot of wasted time(noodling). Sometimes I find that when I have less time then normal I focus more on what needs to be done. Hope this helps.

• Members

I kinda dont agree.

whats wrong w/ noodling? Some of my best time is spent noodling, finding new licks and such.

• Members

Originally posted by jake2004

whats wrong w/ noodling? Some of my best time is spent noodling, finding new licks and such.

Nothing wrong with it. Buy to me personally, it doesnt constitute as practice. When I am just noodling around, I am not really even paying much mind to what I am doing. Muscle memory going through some motions. If thats how you personally grow as a musician, then by all means keep doing it. I personally just feel like practice time should be more focused.

• Members

Originally posted by jake2004

I think noodling is part of a learning process. Theory is not fun but if you can study while noodling around...it makes it tolerable.

• Members

I guess what it all boils down to is what you are practicing for. If your are practicing to write songs or new licks, noodling is a great way to do that. However if you wish to improve your technique or add songs to your rep, a more structured practice without the noodling would be better. In the end you need to decide where your at and where your going.

• Members

Originally posted by FofV

I guess what it all boils down to is what you are practicing for. If your are practicing to write songs or new licks, noodling is a great way to do that. However if you wish to improve your technique or add songs to your rep, a more structured practice without the noodling would be better. In the end you need to decide where your at and where your going.

And weather or not you have ADD.

• Members
Originally posted by markaf19

I am a college student and i am lucky if i get a hour of pratice in a day with all the studying i have to do and my part time job. so i was wondering how many hours do you guys pratice a day?

At most, 2 hours a night. At least, 20 minutes. On "jam night" I can play up to 3 hours. Some weekends I can get a solid 3 - 4 hours, if lucky.

I have a wife and two kids so I think I'm actually ahead of the game with my practice time. :thu:

:jb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I beleive there are two types of practicing

-excersise
-playing songs

excersise is what you do in front of the tv
not really listening to specific sound
just moving fingers fast

playing songs is all about sound

PS
i know that i will get a lot of replies about my definition of excersie
lol
so to clarify
i am speaking of a specific type of excersise where sound isnt important
this is what i do personally

• Members

I kinda dont agree.

Gotta agree here - 1 hours focused and constructive practice is probably better than 7 hours of half-assed, absent minded noodling whilst sat in front of the TV...

Archived