The Benefits Of Heavy vs Light Strings?

kyoun1e

• Members

I find the tonal difference much more noticible on acoustic...especially if you start throwing effects or gain around.

I stick with 10s on my strat & lp and 12s on my acoustic.... I'd put 13s on my acoustic if my girly fingers could bend them properly :):wave:

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

"Wow - who'd have thought this could get so controversial "

Are you kidding me? People have been arguing about this for years on tons of message boards. The only correct answer is to play what you like and leave other people alone. One guy's 9's suck for a guy that likes 12's. The same 12's suck for the guy that likes 9's.. Ford vs Chevy, Brunettes vs. Redheads, 9mm or .357.... Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I'm a Dodge fan, married to a blonde, and I like my strings (and bullets) heavier than 9s..

Well i suppose at least it's a more important issue for a guitar's tone and feel than whether your guitar is finished with nitro or poly - and some of the arguments i've seen on that one make my jaw drop.

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

"Wow - who'd have thought this could get so controversial "

Are you kidding me? People have been arguing about this for years on tons of message boards. The only correct answer is to play what you like and leave other people alone. One guy's 9's suck for a guy that likes 12's. The same 12's suck for the guy that likes 9's.. Ford vs Chevy, Brunettes vs. Redheads, 9mm or .357.... Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I'm a Dodge fan, married to a blonde, and I like my strings (and bullets) heavier than 9s..

Redhead with a 357 and a set of 36s do it for me ,,,,, lol rat

• Members

A slight twist to this question...

I've heard that higher guage tuned down give you some of the advantages of both. In fact I've heard it said that 10's tuned to Eb are easiler to bend than 9 at standard and give you the some of the other advantages mentioned above.

Seems a bit too much of a good thing for me but I don't know. Why do I ask? Cause I have nerve issues in my left hand that translate to loss of strength and I was wondering if this would be a way to go for heavier guage without seriously compromising my hand.

• Members

All of the above points sound great - but for me, I hate breaking strings and the 10s seem to hold up better.

I used to use 10s on my 24 3/4 scale guitars and 9s on the 25 1/2s. Now I only use 10s. This way, I only need to buy one string guage.

Don't know if I could hear a difference honestly though (between 9 and 10 anyway).

Archived