Why is sweeping down so hard????

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

practice slower. but besides that, I'm gonna recommend one thing that nobody else has said in here so far. it's something that really helped me when I first started.

just mute the strings with your fretting hand, and with your picking hand start going through the sweep motion down stroking and up stroking in rhythm... focusing on keeping the timing as even as possible and as smooth as possible, so that the interval between each string is almost exactly the same.. keep doing the motion about 10 times or so, and don't stop... after a minute or two, just jump into it without stopping the motion you were already doing... don't stop the sweeping motion, but just jump into it and start taking your left hand through the notes. it helped me a lot. my problem when I was first starting was simply getting a clean sweep motion down stroking. once you get that motion down, it becomes a lot easier. I had the same problem you are having... I could do up strokes no problem, but had a tough time with down strokes... eventually it just clicks, and from then on it feels extremely easy to do. it's a great feeling! :D

p.s. I just subscribed to this thread since a lot of cool patterns were posted :cool:

• Members
I like the necrophagist signature sweep

I like that 19th fred in there... im gunna try that when i get home... just a regular what? Bm arpeggio? but instead of ending on 14th fret or f# you slide up to the B! it would be awsome to come down the arpeggio on a different pattern starting on that high B (19th fret) ! ... good one...

• Members

I like that 19th fred in there... im gunna try that when i get home... just a regular what? Bm arpeggio? but instead of ending on 14th fret or f# you slide up to the B! it would be awsome to come down the arpeggio on a different pattern starting on that high B (19th fret) ! ... good one...

Or tap it with your picking hand

• Members

At the risk of sounding like I am bragging, I have never heard anyone sweep pick as well as I do. Of course, there are plenty of other things that give me trouble, but I still stand by my above statement and hope that it will entice you to take this lesson seriously. Approximately 21 years ago (I was 17 then) I became very interested in sweeping, and went all out practicing. First of all- Thick pick!!!!!!!! A thin pick flexes and hence changes shape, adding a variable to the technique. It is better to simplify things, and at very high speeds of sweeping a thin pick will slow you down. Practice one and only one sweep to start. Then make minor alterations to that pattern as you master them. Eventually they will all be simple to perform. When I first began sweeping exercises, I played one sweep for about 6 hours. It quickly translated to other forms which came much more easily. Always start slow, and speed up as you concentrate on controlling the pick and coordinating with the left hand. When accomplished at this technique you should be able to play sweeps perfectly at all speeds. The first sweep I ever played was as follows:

E-----------------9
B--------------7-----7
G-----------6-----------6
D--------9-----------------9
A-----7-----------------------7
E--5-----------------------------5

---1--2--4--1--2--4--2--1--4--2-1 Fingering

Then

E-----------------8
B--------------6-----6
G-----------5-----------5
D--------7-----------------7
A-----8-----------------------8
E--5-----------------------------5

---1--4--3--1--2--4--2--1--3-4--1 Fingering

Next

E----------------------10-Hammer-13-pull-10
B------------------11-------------------------11
G--------------12---------------------------------12
D----------12-----------------------------------------12
A------13-------------------------------------------------13
E--15---------------------------------------------------------15

----4----2---1---3--2---1-----------4------1---2---3---1---2--4

Keep working on different combinations like changing shapes on the way up vs. down, or this extreme, which, believe it or not, is possible

E-------------------15-slide-22
B---------------13--------------20
G-----------12----------------------19-slide-14
D--------7---------------------------------------17
A-----5----------------------------------------------15
E--3-----------------------------------------------------14--slide--3

---1---2--4--1---2--4--------4--2----1 ------1---4---2---1--------1

Work hard, have fun, and if you have any questions please ask:thu:

• Members

This is the one I've been working on.

-17-12-------------------------

-------13----------------------

----------14-------------------

-------------14----------------

----------------15-12----------

--------------------------------

That's the one i have bee working on. it's tough.

i also do a major sweep like this and alternate between the two

15-12

THis way you can to switch between a major and relative minor without changing the position of your left hand.

• Members

i couldn't sweep for {censored} for the LONGEST time!!! and if i were good at it now, that damn song would be done already!!!

much like you're describing, i could go up ok but going back down was {censored}e...what really helped me was doing 3-4 string patterns like this

-----7--8----------9--10-------
---6------7------8-------9-----
-5----------6--7------------8-- etc. in a triplet rhythm

-------8--9--------------10--11-------
-----7------8----------9-------10-----
---6----------7------8------------9----
-5--------------6--7----------------8-- etc. in a 16th note rhythm

most peoples' right hand picks downard pretty easily, but it's that upward motion that's a lot less natural

i did this untill i could do it in my sleep, and really paid close attention to the up/down pick transision and the timing going back up...i would do these patterns starting on the low E up to the G string

over time this helped TREMENDOUSLY with doing full arpeggios (like the thunderhorse ones) altho i'm still not great at it, i've broken a lot of ground and at slow to moderate speeds can play them pretty solid and clean...i still can't nail them quickly, but the overall technique i'm atleast doin ok with now

• Members

Sweep picking is a bitch to learn. It needs a lot of practice. Try not to use delay or neck pickup too much, this way you get a drier (neck pickup rounds the sound a lot (aka. nintendo-effect)) sound and you can more easily troubleshoot your problem areas in the technique. Give it time, it's one of the most difficult techniques there is.

• Members

i asked rusty cooley how he got so good at it, he said he started sweeping ever since he started playing guitar. So, i think it's just a matter of practicing, i used to find it really hard but the more i practiced them they got alot easier. One tip is can give is try to slightly mute your strings with your picking hand while doing them. I think 5 string sweeps are easier than the 3 string so you might want to start with them first.

• Members

Can anyone give me some good diminished scale sweep thingys to learn?

I can't even find bands w/ tabs that use them for me to learn.
:(

I had a hard time sweeping down when I started.. I still have a hard time with 3 string sweeps unless its in between picking up and down if that makes any sense, something like this:

E --------------8-12---------8-12-----------
B -----------10------10---10-----10---------
G ---------9------------9-----------9--------
D ------10----------------------------10-----
A -8-12----------------------------------12-8

• Members

This is the one I've been working on.

-17-12-------------------------

-------13----------------------

----------14-------------------

-------------14----------------

----------------15-12----------

--------------------------------

Michael Angelo Batio has that same sweep on "Speed Kills".

He does it like this. I think you'll find this better and easier:

----------------------------12-h-17-p-12---

------------------------13---------

--------------------14-------------

----------------14------------------

-----12-h-15---------------------------

----------------------------------

Finger1____4____3__3__2___1____5____1

---------------------------------

-----13------------------

----------14-------------

--------------14------------

-------------------15-p-12--------------

------------------------------------

The hammer/pulloff from 12 to 17 and back is all one continuous motion.

It's A-minor arpeggio.

Archived