One good argument FOR tabs

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me Tabs are a love hate thing:

When I look back on it tabs have definitely retarded my growth as a reader. If they werent there I would have had no choice. My reading would be far better making my knowledge of the fretboard better.

However, they can be very beneficial to newcomers to the instrument to get them hooked. Just last night I taught my 7 year old boy how to read them and I was quickly able to give him a few riffs to work on. He was using them in 10 minutes.

Jon your comment about the categories of players you have played with seals it for me - it was already sealed but it reinforced to me that my direction with it is a good one. Thanks for that! I guess playing with guys like Steve Morse can help a guy out with observations like these! ;)

• Members

I find the amount of dialog this tab thread has sparked to be interesting.

Ditto!

For me the "learning to read in all positions" thing was such a huge eureka type thing for my playing that when I hear a pro tab type argument I feel compelled to respond. It is so hard to hear people avoiding something that you know would help them so much. Yet they completely shun what (to me) seemed an overwhelmingly prevailing point of view.

This thread also touched on so many of the "sub cultural" annoyances in the guitar community and the attitudes surrounding it that it touched a sensitive spot I think.

I have enjoyed this one though, like I said it was a great thread.

• Members

so.... if you learn a song in tab format... what do you do when you have to change keys...???

Slide it up or down to a different fret.

or

Use a capo.

or

Create a new fingering with the tranposed notes.

I think transposing is more of a matter of theory knowledge and fretboard application than a matter of how you learned a song. Whether you learn it by standard, tab, ear, or whatever.

Archived