What does it mean when a chord is written G/B or C/G etc?

Chords like G/B or C/G are called 'slash chords,' and they are a chord with a specific note in the bass voice (lowest note on the chord). G/B would be G major with the note B as the lowest note (instead of the typical G). C/G would be C major with G on the bottom. The symbol is read as "chord over note." For example, "G over B" or "C major over G."

For roman numerals with arabic superscripts, they come from a system used in classical music and academia called "figured bass." It's kind of a precursor to today's chord symbol system, as it was originally used as a short hand for accompaniment parts (typically harpsichord). A bassline would be written, and then the superscripts would indicate what intervals to place over the bass note. This is a much more complex system, and is probably better covered in a theory textbook than an internet post.

• Members

I should mention that the "slash" chords as he puts it are used primarily with piano and keyboard. Pianists often break a chord up by playing parts of it with the right hand and parts with the left. So defining the bass note affects the character of a chord much the same as selecting which strings to play affects the character of a guitar chord.

Remember a chord symbol simply refers to which notes are included in a chord. Which ones you play or don't play, or the inversion you choose for that chord or where you play it on the fingerboard all affect the way the chord sounds. This type of notation is just trying to guide the musician in making the chord sound like the arranger intended.

• Members

Just in case it needs clarification, the I/3 would mean 'tonic chord with the 3rd in the bass'. In functional terms, I6.

The V/7 probably means five chord with the 7th in the bass. In functional terms, the designation would be V2; the two being a major second - the interval from the seventh to the root of the chord.

• Members

"Slash" are very cool thing to know about! Very often, guitarists are taught to ignore the bass note and let the bassist play that. In many instances that approach works great.

But sometimes, slash chords are used as ways to describe "shorthand" versions of more complex chords. Some writers use that toolD to make it easier for the pianist or guitarist to get to the sound without having to decode long chord symbols.

here are some examples:

Bb/C = C9sus4

F#/A = A13b9 (or the essence of it)

Ab/D = D7b9b5 (or the essence of it)

Caug/A = Aminmaj7

Bb/B = Bdimmja7

There are many others!

• Members

"Slash" are very cool thing to know about! Very often, guitarists are taught to ignore the bass note and let the bassist play that. In many instances that approach works great.

But sometimes, slash chords are used as ways to describe "shorthand" versions of more complex chords. Some writers use that toolD to make it easier for the pianist or guitarist to get to the sound without having to decode long chord symbols.

here are some examples:

Bb/C = C9sus4

F#/A = A13b9 (or the essence of it)

Ab/D = D7b9b5 (or the essence of it)

Caug/A = Aminmaj7

Bb/B = Bdimmja7

There are many others!

Haha. I got so used to the long names that when I started seeing charts with lots of slash chords it completely looped me.

Archived