If Floyd Rose sucks, then is there any alternatives?

• Members

So, after I typed that I went and looked at tremsetter on youtube, and from there to a video about how to block the pull up; then I did that ... an hour later my floyd rose is "down only", and no more "string break" emergencies!

GaJ

Yes, but you lose all the cool tricks with down only.

My solution to no more string breaks (with floating fender, not floyd, but same solution) is just to put new strings on every day or two.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, but you lose all the cool tricks with down only.

Actually, I don't mind that so much, but what I am not liking as much is the totally changed feel. With the trem floating, it's very sensitive and light: you can make little enhancements to notes subtly and easily.

With it blocked, it's much "heavier", and the transition from not being active to being active is more sudden and less subtle. I'm not sure how long I will put up with that.

It is nice not worrying about string break, and having it blocked definitely improves the sustain, no doubt about that...

My solution to no more string breaks (with floating fender, not floyd, but same solution) is just to put new strings on every day or two.

:eek: rich dude!

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I've had one of the originals since 1983. When I was a full time musician I changes the strings every two nights and intonated it every week for about 6-7 years. I found nothing difficult about them.

Even 30 years later the thing is still dead on when setup.

Archived