Cut the Bullsh*t about playing guitar

Virgman

• Members

The beautiful thing about the guitar is that you don't have to be trained in order to play it (same with drums, bass, keys- basically most "rock" instruments). It's also the reason there's so much confusion, and why guitarists are often looked down upon by other musicians.

There's no shame in playing guitar to meet girls. It's why I started. Well to be fair, I decided I needed to join a band to meet girls, and decided to go with the guitar. And then I got good at it because I still wasn't meeting girls and needed something to do. I'm self taught, and for years i didn't know anything about theory, scales, etc. I did learn the "blues scale" out of a magazine, as well as the basic barre chords, but that was about it. When it came to building other chords I had an old Piano book that had all the chords layed out- for instance C major = C E G. I'd then look at a map of the fretboard (I'd made) and figure out the various ways I could play that chord. There's really only so many ways your basic chords lay out on the fretboard that make sense to play.

Anyway, my point is none of this stopped me from making music (and yes, I'd even say decent music). We were writing and performing our own songs at age 14 (as I'm sure many of you were), and having a great time doing it. Musicianship never entered into it. The great thing about being in a band is that you only need to be good enough to play your part- and you can take as much time to practice that as you need to. Now if you want to be a gigger, a session player, a guy playing a lot of improvised music, then yes, that's where "musicianship" comes in. But to just be some d00d in a band...

:thu:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I teach part time and it is amazing to me how many kids come in and play a D chord once and then look at me like I did it what's next. I have to laugh to myself and think now all you have to do is string that along with 30 other chord shapes and play all this for 5 or 6 thousand times you might have something.

I see very few young kids with any real motivation to really learn the instrument.

• Members

I teach part time and it is amazing to me how many kids come in and play a D chord once and then look at me like I did it what's next. I have to laugh to myself and think now all you have to do is string that along with 30 other chord shapes and play all this for 5 or 6 thousand times you might have something.

I see very few young kids with any real motivation to really learn the instrument.

It's always interesting to ask the kid why he is taking lessons.

"Because my parents make me."

Do you practice?

"No."

• Members

I have been all over the place lately with my practicing, I really want to get better and have been drilling the major chords, Mark made the comment to work on rhythm so that has been my focus lately lots of Judas Priest. (I know not the best but its what i'm into). I am looking at the songs not just playing them trying to see the scales, notes, etc... I feel I understand it better, now just need my fingers to catch up

• Members

I bet if you tuned the kids to drop d and taught them the main riff for Intolerance by Tool off Undertow (or something similar), you'd see a quick shift in attitude and motivation that you could milk to teach them more. Like I said earlier in the thread - I wish someone had done me that favor when I was a kid.

• Members

I agree 1000% on the practicing aspect of improving. I would also add discipline as a key to improving. By discipline I mean practicing things with focus and a directed effort to improve those specific items. I have been playing for many years and have recently motivated myself to improve my playing and knowledge. I find that if I do not focus I sit around playing and wanking on things that I have been playing for years. I have finally realized that this really does not contribute greatly to improving my playing or knowledge. Now I try to set specific goals and structure practice time around those goals. It is challenging to focus but I do find that I am noticing incremental improvements.

Archived